• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampa Bay Comic Con - August 1-3! Zeck, Wolfman, Steranko & Wrightson!

289 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the convention.

And thanks for posting those news articles. I didn't even know that the gentleman reporter was planning on publishing anything. I thought he was just casually inquiring. lol

Some excellent ideas from all. I'm taking notes. :)

Free catered lunch all three days for your vendors? :grin:

Well, it was worth a shot... :shy::sorry:

The actual vendors there weren't too bad. The burger I had was pretty good, for convention food.

We just returned from Megacon and we are already talking about the next con. How does Tampa Bay Comic Con compared to Megacon. Specifically in regards to the number of comic book dealers and the type of dealers?

We just returned from Megacon and we are already talking about the next con. How does Tampa Bay Comic Con compared to Megacon. Specifically in regards to the number of comic book dealers and the type of dealers?

Hmm...well....we only have the one TBCC from last year to go on, at least as the show is currently in a three-day, convention center format, so there isn't a lot of background to draw on, but having said that....

Compared to other comic-centric shows like Heroes or Baltimore, this show is still in its infancy. I think there was a lot of great material in the hall last year, but far too few comic buyers ready to fork out several hundred, nevermind several thousand, dollars for books. This year, some of the folks that had nice set-ups last year won't be back, and nor will you have any of the big dealers that frequent MegaCon (Dale Roberts, Greg Reece, Jamie Graham, Harley Yee, New Force, etc.), so if you are looking to walk into the show have have your pick of AF 15s, FF 1s, Hulk 1s, etc., you might be disappointed.

Another thing that hurt last year, was that several of the regular comic buyers that have attended the show in its previous, smaller format, simply didn't brave the crazy lines and hordes of cosplayers. The long lines and somewhat disorganized nature of the ticketing process (all normal teething pains when a show grows this far, this fast), didn't help.

Remember, not too long ago, this used to be a $5 show that you could walk into 2-3 times a year, buy a couple of hundred dollars worth of books, and be gone in an hour, with minimal fuss. Now, you have to fork out $20 for a ticket, $10 or so for parking (assuming you can find some nearby), possibly wait in line for hours to buy it or be granted admission because of the crowds, and then deal with hordes of people as you try to find the proverbial needle (vintage comic dealer) in a haystack of animae, manga, and other things you have zero interest in. I think there is a certain charm to many comic buyers about small shows....you can get in, get out, get your books, and still have the rest of the day to spend with your family.

I'm still not certain if I will be setting up...it makes sense for me to try and move some material in the $1-$10 range, since that's all I seemed to sell last time, but table fees are up another $150 from last time, so that's a hinderance, the loading dock situation seems even more hairy now that the entire hall needs to rely on the one loading/unloading area, and I'm concerned that the majority of money buyers, those who can spend $500 or more, will not be willing to attend because of the crowds of cosplayers and others.

I know the guys are monitoring this thread for ideas and suggestions, and I'll reiterate something that struck me about Mega-Con: don't put your comic dealers all over the place....have them concentrated in 2-3 rows at one end of the hall. That will make them easier to find. Better yet, perhaps have one of the Halls devoted entirely to actual vendors, while the other can be where you have the Forums, Signings, Photo-Ops, Panels, and other things that attract the non-buying crowd. There are a fair amount of people that come to a convention that have ZERO interest in stuff like that, which should help with crowding of aisles where the vendors are.

Speaking of, I'd still love to see a Friday Buyer's Ticket tier for $10 or something like that, to help promote people who just want to come to buy actually come out, granting only access to the Buying Hall, and only on Friday. Tickets should be available for advanced purchase, and ready for pick up early on Friday for immediate access.

Looking at the schematics of the upper level, I would think the east Hall would be perfect for the vendors, especially since its closest to the docks, and the West Hall with that middle partition could be dedicated to concessions, panels, Signings, artist alley, etc. Just some thoughts....

I will be there. Going to give it another shot. Alter my Inventory a bit

I stand corrected, I thought Gator would be out for sure. I felt bad personally, since I played a large part in suggesting he come try the show last year, which was probably his worst ever for a three day format. But, like he said, its probably worth a second shot if things get situated a little better.

I stand corrected, I thought Gator would be out for sure. I felt bad personally, since I played a large part in suggesting he come try the show last year, which was probably his worst ever for a three day format. But, like he said, its probably worth a second shot if things get situated a little better.

it was the first show I ever lost money at lol

But I'm mAking inv adjustment for this one. Hopefully better results :wishluck:

I know the guys are monitoring this thread for ideas and suggestions, and I'll reiterate something that struck me about Mega-Con: don't put your comic dealers all over the place....have them concentrated in 2-3 rows at one end of the hall. That will make them easier to find. Better yet, perhaps have one of the Halls devoted entirely to actual vendors, while the other can be where you have the Forums, Signings, Photo-Ops, Panels, and other things that attract the non-buying crowd. There are a fair amount of people that come to a convention that have ZERO interest in stuff like that, which should help with crowding of aisles where the vendors are.

Speaking of, I'd still love to see a Friday Buyer's Ticket tier for $10 or something like that, to help promote people who just want to come to buy actually come out, granting only access to the Buying Hall, and only on Friday. Tickets should be available for advanced purchase, and ready for pick up early on Friday for immediate access.

These are two of the best ideas I've seen for a con of this size. The Friday ticket could be like the "preview night Thursday" they used to do at Chicago. And splitting the floor based on dealer type would be great. Obviously some comic dealers have toys, or vice versa, but it would serve the key function of separating the cosplayers from the buying area and the buyers from the melee that can take over shows with a swarm of cosplayers who may not be contributing economically other than buying tickets.

it was the first show I ever lost money at lol

But I'm mAking inv adjustment for this one. Hopefully better results :wishluck:

Even after my two big purchases from you or those didn't count? lol

I do know some dealers who will not like this... They won't like being near other dealers as it will point out how badly overpriced they are. :kidaround:

Better to be next to your competition, then having a long line of peope waiting on signatures blocking your booth and cutting off all your potential foot traffic.

What if I called Harshen tomorrow & offered him free space & power drops for on-site grading?

I would say that is a very good start. (thumbs u

It makes perfect sense for CGC to be at the Tampa show, and to make it one of the very few shows they do onsite grading at.

We expand our Exhibitor Hall from 75K to 200K sqft.

We will go to all corner booths -- quads -- clusters of four 10'x10' booths, in order to maximize aisle space.

We will widen our aisles.

We will add a double wide central aisle, running the length of the hall.

We have refined our autograph area following the Nashville & Indy events & don't expect to have the same lines issues from '13.

We will dedicate staff to the docks on load-in & load-out. I will be personally overseeing this component.

I can source affordable labor for dealers in need of help.

Jive, stay at home with your inventory if you like, stop in for some shopping over the weekend, & then decide on next year.

What if I called Harshen tomorrow & offered him free space & power drops for on-site grading?

^^(worship)

You're the future of Florida comics dealers. Let's do lunch. :hi:

Jeff with Indy's Infinity Comics is crossing the country to set-up.

Al Stolz is setting-up. He told me he wants to retire from the road. Yet across the country he'll come.

^^(worship)

Anytime! And thank you for the compliment. Id love to hear your opinion on my expansion plan I have for the next few months.

^^(worship)

Anytime! And thank you for the compliment. Id love to hear your opinion on my expansion plan I have for the next few months.

I've supported you when you were starting out & I'll support you when you surpass Harley Yee's level.

I'm wistful for your modest beginnings but enthusiastic about your broad future.

PM sent.