• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The proper feedback

127 posts in this topic

Postive. 5 stars on everything except how fast the package shipped - 3 or 4 stars depending on how everything else was. 2c

I don't know - just sitting on something for a week when someone pays right away they shouldn't get 5 stars. The other day, I sold a baseball card on ebay via BIN. I emailed the buyer that night saying if he paid me that night, I would get it shipped first thing in the morning. Then we had a big snow storm and I couldn't get it shipped.

I wrote the guy right away, apologized and explained the snowstorm and told him I would get it shipped the next day.

You earn 5 star. It's like tipping waiters/waitresses or anyone else - they earn the tip - or 5 star feedback. It's nothing to do with being nice or cheap or whatever - it's just holding people accountable. You can't give someone that goes the extra mile 6 stars, right? I think it's just caring about feedback. If you just rubber stamp everyone 5 star positive, just feels kind of lazy or you don't care. Again - all just my 2c (or :screwy: depending on how you look at it).

Positive all the way. Just take off a few on how fast shipped. (thumbs u

So you ding a guy who's responsible enough and conscientious enough to tell you, before you bid, exactly when you can expect your package and nails that estimate? Really?

You want a guy to take a day off of work or a special trip to the PO for a $3 book?

If he did that I'd give him a 6th star...that star representing a complete lack of rational thought. lol

positive. THat's not even serious enough for a neutral. Oh, happy Friday!

It's a long OP, and for the folks not reading it all, I will be leaving positive feedback, the question is do I make mention of being slow to ship within the positive feedback, or just ding him a star or two on ship time, or do nothing at all.

His marking it as shipped, and then waiting a week to actually ship it is what bothers me

He didn't mark it as shipped, Ebay did. That happens when people print out postage through the Ebay/Paypal app.

If he blew his shipping estimate I would understand dinging him, but he didn't, he hit the mark on that.

I doubt he "waited a week" staring at your package, laughing maniacally at the pain he was causing you, many people work during the hours the PO is open and have to wait for an off day to ship, some people live a long distance from the PO and hold packages until they are all ready to go....he was responsible enough to notify all bidders, before they bid, of the estimated shipping time.

It shouldn't bug you that you got the book in exactly the promised amount of time. Not everyone is making twice daily runs to the PO. lol

Ok, I'm glad I made this thread as I wasn't aware that Ebay automatically marks items as shipped, whether they really are or not.

Still, I have bought from many sellers the clearly state in their auctions that it will be several days before they ship, and this guy didn't say anything like that.

I guess I'm just used to sellers who ship within 3 days of purchase, and many sooner.

Since I didn't know about Ebay automatically marking items as shipped, I will just leave my standard positive feedback with no ding to his stars.

Like I said in the OP, the is an obsessive compulsive thing for me, I see it marked as shipped, and I believed it was shipped, and started stressing when there was no info on the tracking # and no book showing up.

Thanks for the insight.

(thumbs u

I've had that happen when someone pays on a Saturday, after the PO closes, and I print shipping, and pack it up...then Monday's a holiday or something...it's a 3 day wait in real time but Ebay emails that shipping notification the instant you print a shipping label. It can cause misunderstandings. That's probably what he was trying to avoid with that shipping estimate.

Postive. 5 stars on everything except how fast the package shipped - 3 or 4 stars depending on how everything else was. 2c

I don't know - just sitting on something for a week when someone pays right away they shouldn't get 5 stars. The other day, I sold a baseball card on ebay via BIN. I emailed the buyer that night saying if he paid me that night, I would get it shipped first thing in the morning. Then we had a big snow storm and I couldn't get it shipped.

I wrote the guy right away, apologized and explained the snowstorm and told him I would get it shipped the next day.

You earn 5 star. It's like tipping waiters/waitresses or anyone else - they earn the tip - or 5 star feedback. It's nothing to do with being nice or cheap or whatever - it's just holding people accountable. You can't give someone that goes the extra mile 6 stars, right? I think it's just caring about feedback. If you just rubber stamp everyone 5 star positive, just feels kind of lazy or you don't care. Again - all just my 2c (or :screwy: depending on how you look at it).

So you ding a guy who's responsible enough and conscientious enough to tell you, before you bid, exactly when you can expect your package and nails that estimate? Really?

You want a guy to take a day off of work or a special trip to the PO for a $3 book?

If he did that I'd give him a 6th star...that star representing a complete lack of rational thought. lol

I'd give him 4 stars. People DO make special trips to the PO for $3 books. I would, (shrug)

That $3 book to a kid may be his prized possession. What if it was a birthday present? I know. I know. :eyeroll: But you get what I'm saying. Positive Feedback with 4 stars for how fast shipped I think is appropriate - IMHO. :)

Postive. 5 stars on everything except how fast the package shipped - 3 or 4 stars depending on how everything else was.

But it showed up in the estimated time shown on the auction page. How can you ding a seller even one star when they do exactly what they say they will in the time allotted and, apparently, agreed on by the buyer?

If the parcel showed up even one day after the estimate, whether or not the moral public agrees, you can ding his stars. It shows up on the last day of the estimated time, then 5 stars is the only rating worthy of this part of the transaction.

-slym

I've had that happen when someone pays on a Saturday, after the PO closes, and I print shipping, and pack it up...then Monday's a holiday or something...it's a 3 day wait in real time but Ebay emails that shipping notification the instant you print a shipping label. It can cause misunderstandings. That's probably what he was trying to avoid with that shipping estimate.

And I agree that things (delays, life) happen. But why couldn't the seller just shoot an email to the buyer saying "Hey, sorry for the delay. I'll try my hardest to get the book shipped ___day"....

In this instance, the seller just sits on the book and the buyer has to eat it while waiting for that unknown ___day.

Postive. 5 stars on everything except how fast the package shipped - 3 or 4 stars depending on how everything else was.

But it showed up in the estimated time shown on the auction page. How can you ding a seller even one star when they do exactly what they say they will in the time allotted and, apparently, agreed on by the buyer?

If the parcewl showed up even one day after the estimate, whether or not the moral public agrees, you can ding his stars. It shows up on the last day of the estimated time, then 5 stars is the only rating worthy of this part of the transaction.

-slym

I rarely pay attention to the "estimated time" unless it's a foreign seller. I figure if you have to pay right away, the seller should ship right away or within reason. Not just print a label and sit on it for a week until it's convenient for them.

I'm NOT saying neg him or neutral him. Just 4 star as opposed to 5.

What if it was a birthday present?

Then the buyer shouldn't have bought an item that could very well be shipped after the birthdate of the person he was buying for.

I will say this as my last post in here in this subject - if I say it will take 5 days to get to my seller, and it takes all five days and the seller dings my stars? I am going to be pissed.

-slym

If the parcewl showed up even one day after the estimate, whether or not the moral public agrees, you can ding his stars. It shows up on the last day of the estimated time, then 5 stars is the only rating worthy of this part of the transaction.

-slym

I rarely pay attention to the "estimated time" unless it's a foreign seller. I figure if you have to pay right away, the seller should ship right away or within reason. Not just print a label and sit on it for a week until it's convenient for them.

I'm NOT saying neg him or neutral him. Just 4 star as opposed to 5.

Who is to say the seller "sat on the book" or "waited until it was convenient?" And even so, if the damn book gets there is the time stated, what does it matter? The EBAY AUCTION SAYS A DATE AND IF IT GETS TO THE BUYER BY THAT DATE, THERE SHOULD BE NO OUTRAGE AND DINGING OF THE SELLER'S STAR RATINGS.

Even giving 4 stars is a negative rating. There is nothing worth a negative rating here.

:shrug:

-slym (seriously, his last post here)

I'd give him 4 stars. People DO make special trips to the PO for $3 books. I would, (shrug)

That $3 book to a kid may be his prized possession. What if it was a birthday present? I know. I know. :eyeroll: But you get what I'm saying. Positive Feedback with 4 stars for how fast shipped I think is appropriate - IMHO. :)

Sounds like the whole thing could be avoided in the future if bababooey bought his books from you :idea:

And I agree that things (delays, life) happen. But why couldn't the seller just shoot an email to the buyer saying "Hey, sorry for the delay. I'll try my hardest to get the book shipped ___day"....

In this instance, the seller just sits on the book and the buyer has to eat it while waiting for that unknown ___day.

Bam

I know many of you are sellers on Ebay, so lets change the question to

Do you think it's right(or good customer service) to wait a week to send out a book that someone paid you right away for?

Without emailing them or mentioning in your auction that you only ship certain days? Something I have seen people do many times.

I pay right away when I win something, I mean literally within seconds, and I always hope that the seller will appreciate this, and in return make their best effort to send my book out in a timely manner.

I've won .99 cent books before that were shipped the same day.

Each time I left the following feedback

"Won a .99 cent book, but was treated like a million dollar buyer"

Sounds like the whole thing could be avoided in the future if bababooey bought his books from you :idea:

Is this the trading thread?

Swick hasn't listed anything yet...

How do you know the seller "sat on the book?" I have had (not often, but yes, it's happened) that I drop a parcel off at the PO and it doesn't leave my region until 2-3 days later. The last time that happened, it was a 2-Day Priority package going to NY, which is just a little ways up the east coast from where I am. That one took 5 "business days" to get there, actually 6 because while the USPS doesn't deliver on Sunday, they are "in business."

And even if the seller did hold the parcel on purpose - IT GOT THERE IN THE TIME ALLOTED that the BUYER KNEW ABOUT.

Again - positive FB, 5 stars all the way, or someone is over-reacting.

-slym (can't stay away, apparently)

Bam

I know many of you are sellers on Ebay, so lets change the question to

Do you think it's right(or good customer service) to wait a week to send out a book that someone paid you right away for?

Without emailing them or mentioning in your auction that you only ship certain days? Something I have seen people do many times.

I pay right away when I win something, I mean literally within seconds, and I always hope that the seller will appreciate this, and in return make their best effort to send my book out in a timely manner.

I've won .99 cent books before that were shipped the same day.

Each time I left the following feedback

"Won a .99 cent book, but was treated like a million dollar buyer"

But did/would you ding their star ratings if they hadn't shipped it same day?

-slym

Is this the trading thread?

Swick hasn't listed anything yet...

It could be we were swapping thoughts :)

The day isn't over yet... he might ,I dunno, probably, might not .I couldn't say with any certainty one way or the other