• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The proper feedback

127 posts in this topic

It's Friday, and I have a mildly annoying Ebay transaction I need to leave feedback for.

I won an auction for a bronze age book I need for a run I'm working on.

There was only one other bidder and I sniped it with 2 seconds left for less then $3.

I paid right away, and a short time later the seller left positive feedback for me, and marked the book as shipped, and provided a tracking number.

Well, the next morning, as I always do with ebay wins I'm waiting on, I check the tracking info, and nothing, it shows it hasn't been accepted by the PO yet.

The next day I check again, and same thing, nothing.

This goes on for another 6 days before It finally shows the item as being accepted by the PO.

So basically this guy marked it as shipped right away, put up a tracking #, but didn't actually mail it till a week later.

I am more then a little OCD, so with each passing day I checked the tracking info and saw nothing, I got more and more stressed not knowing what was going on with my book, the fact that it was for less then $10 shipped doesn't alleviate the stress for me.

So the book finally arrives, on the last day of its auction shipping time estimate.

So now I am unsure of what feedback to leave for the seller.

If he would have told me it would be a week before he shipped, then no problem.

If he would have waited till he actually shipped it to mark it as shipped, and list the tracking #, it would be annoying, but still, no real problem.

It's the fact that he marked it as shipped, put up tracking info, and then waited a full week to actually send it that bugs me.

I OCD'ed about this everyday I checked the tracking and saw nothing.

Wondering was it lost, or maybe it was sent, but the info just wasn't showing, etc... the fear of the unknown basically.

My thoughts for feedback are.

Positive with mention of being slow to ship(but wondering if this is overly harsh)

Or positive with no mention of slow to ship, and then I ding him a couple stars on ship time.

I realize this isn't anything to serious, like a missing goosebumps or something, but it did annoy the heck out of me for over a week before I knew what was going on with it.

So what feedback would you leave?

came on time and as described? why make this post?

Came on the last day of a lllooonnnnggg shipping time estimate.

There is no question about whether or not I leave positive feedback, it will be positive.

My only question is on the amount of time he waited to actually ship the book, after marking it as shipped.

Oh, and for the record, the last three feedbacks this seller received all mention slow shipping(but they were all left after I made my purchase so I didn't know the seller was slow before hand)

So the book finally arrives, on the last day of its auction shipping time estimate.

Sounds like the seller did everything expected in the time allotted. Just because the USPS system doesn't show tracking doesn't mean the guy dropped it off 6 days after being marked shipped. I have had USPS parcels that don't show any tracking at all until the day they are delivered, and then I get every update made when the parcel was scanned.

If you give him anything but positive feedback and 5 stars, then you are over-reacting, IMHO.

-slym

If he would have told me it would be a week before he shipped, then no problem.

Right here you answered your own question.

If he made it in the parameters of his shipping time estimate then he DID tell you when it was going to show up. Many people may use Ebay/Paypal's postage printing option, which would then would mark the item shipped and provide tracking automatically, but the seller may not be able to get to the post office until the weekend or whenever they are off of work, etc.

That's why they provide shipping time estimates. From the sounds of it, he jumped on packing up your book and printing shipment and then got the to post office when he could and within the time frame he provided you in the auction time estimate.

Positive, all the way.

Wasn't that estimate on the auction itself, before you bid?

positive. THat's not even serious enough for a neutral. Oh, happy Friday!

It's a long OP, and for the folks not reading it all, I will be leaving positive feedback, the question is do I make mention of being slow to ship within the positive feedback, or just ding him a star or two on ship time, or do nothing at all.

His marking it as shipped, and then waiting a week to actually ship it is what bothers me

It's a long OP, and for the folks not reading it all, I will be leaving positive feedback, the question is do I make mention of being slow to ship within the positive feedback, or just ding him a star or two on ship time, or do nothing at all.

His marking it as shipped, and then waiting a week to actually ship it is what bothers me

He didn't mark it as shipped, Ebay did. That happens when people print out postage through the Ebay/Paypal app.

If he blew his shipping estimate I would understand dinging him, but he didn't, he hit the mark on that.

I doubt he "waited a week" staring at your package, laughing maniacally at the pain he was causing you, many people work during the hours the PO is open and have to wait for an off day to ship, some people live a long distance from the PO and hold packages until they are all ready to go....he was responsible enough to notify all bidders, before they bid, of the estimated shipping time.

It shouldn't bug you that you got the book in exactly the promised amount of time. Not everyone is making twice daily runs to the PO. lol

Yes it was, but what wasn't on there was him saying "I will mark it as shipped right away, and give you tracking, but I'm not actually going to ship it for a week"

I wait longer then that on my MCS and comiclink purchases, and it's fine, because I know that's how long it will take. They don't tell me they shipped something when they really haven't.

I just made a board purchase, the seller informed me that it will be a few days before they ship, which is just fine with me, being as they let me know up front, not say they shipped it when they really haven't

Yes it was, but what wasn't on there was him saying "I will mark it as shipped right away, and give you tracking, but I'm not actually going to ship it for a week"

I wait longer then that on my MCS and comiclink purchases, and it's fine, because I know that's how long it will take. They don't tell me they shipped something when they really haven't.

I just made a board purchase, the seller informed me that it will be a few days before they ship, which is just fine with me, being as they let me know up front, not say they shipped it when they really haven't

Have you ever sold through ebay?

See my other responses regarding what happens when you print postage through ebay. I think you may have made some assumptions about the seller in a way that denotes a lack of empathy and/or walking a mile in his moccasins. Think about it in those terms and see if it still seems egregious.

Postive. 5 stars on everything except how fast the package shipped - 3 or 4 stars depending on how everything else was. 2c

I don't know - just sitting on something for a week when someone pays right away they shouldn't get 5 stars. The other day, I sold a baseball card on ebay via BIN. I emailed the buyer that night saying if he paid me that night, I would get it shipped first thing in the morning. Then we had a big snow storm and I couldn't get it shipped.

I wrote the guy right away, apologized and explained the snowstorm and told him I would get it shipped the next day.

You earn 5 star. It's like tipping waiters/waitresses or anyone else - they earn the tip - or 5 star feedback. It's nothing to do with being nice or cheap or whatever - it's just holding people accountable. You can't give someone that goes the extra mile 6 stars, right? I think it's just caring about feedback. If you just rubber stamp everyone 5 star positive, just feels kind of lazy or you don't care. Again - all just my 2c (or :screwy: depending on how you look at it).

Positive all the way. Just take off a few on how fast shipped. (thumbs u

He didn't mark it as shipped, Ebay did. That happens when people print out postage through the Ebay/Paypal app.

If he blew his shipping estimate I would understand dinging him, but he didn't, he hit the mark on that.

I doubt he "waited a week" staring at your package, laughing maniacally at the pain he was causing you, many people work during the hours the PO is open and have to wait for an off day to ship, some people live a long distance from the PO and hold packages until they are all ready to go....he was responsible enough to notify all bidders, before they bid, of the estimated shipping time.

It shouldn't bug you that you got the book in exactly the promised amount of time. Not everyone is making twice daily runs to the PO. lol

Ok, I'm glad I made this thread as I wasn't aware that Ebay automatically marks items as shipped, whether they really are or not.

Still, I have bought from many sellers the clearly state in their auctions that it will be several days before they ship, and this guy didn't say anything like that.

I guess I'm just used to sellers who ship within 3 days of purchase, and many sooner.

Since I didn't know about Ebay automatically marking items as shipped, I will just leave my standard positive feedback with no ding to his stars.

Like I said in the OP, the is an obsessive compulsive thing for me, I see it marked as shipped, and I believed it was shipped, and started stressing when there was no info on the tracking # and no book showing up.

Thanks for the insight.