• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The proper feedback

127 posts in this topic

To everyone harping on the "Ebay estimated delivery system"...

Do you treat the guy that as soon as he is paid makes a special trip to the post office to make sure the book or whatever the buyer paid for is shipped right away and goes the extra mile the same as the guy who prints a shipping label and drops it off at the post office a week later without telling the seller WHEN he would ship the book.

I fully, completely, 100% understand that it was within the allotted time.

I.

AM.

FULLY.

WITH.

YOU.

THERE.

But I just think the guy that goes the extra mile and ships right away gets "REALLY QUICKLY" (which is what 5 star is) gets 5 star and the guy that ships a week later gets "SOMEWHAT QUICKLY" gets 4 star.

I don't think that's :screwy:

But at the end of the day - that's just MHO. (shrug)

If the book arrived within the est delivery timeframe, I'm not sure what the problem is? (shrug)

I've had the same situation happen to me many times, book marked as shipped, no shipping updates for a week. All of a sudden it's marked as accepted. And if it gets to me when it said it would, I'm happy. What makes you think the seller was being malicious? As was mentioned earlier, maybe they could only get to PO on the weekend.

I always appreciate when a seller sets a shipping estimate like that, in the terms of the auction. It tells me they are organized and thinking the entire process through. They know when they can ship and when they will ship.

The fact that he printed postage and packed the book immediately should be lauded as a positive seller attribute. He kept all his promises.

As someone that's never sold a comic in his life, I was unaware about ebay auto marking things as shipped. I learned that after seeing someone mention it on these boards, actually. To the OP's credit, he didn't know about that either.

Honestly, I've had stuff show up a few days after the time frame given, and still give the seller 5 stars. mess happens, as long as the item came as described, I'm usually a happy buyer.

Had I known about the automatic ebay listing it as shipped thing, I would have never started this thread.

I was under the impression I was being lied to by the seller about when he had shipped it.

I thought he was marking it as shipped right away so Ebay would think he sent it, and he wouldn't get in trouble with them, but could still take his sweet time in actually sending it.

Now that I know that he wasn't trying to misrepresent anything, his 5 stars are secure.

Basically all this is, is a case of a slow shipping seller, and not what I thought.

ALL GOOD

Rather then jump to conclusions, and give an undeserved star ding, I thought I would ask the Ebay savvy community here first about it, and I'm glad I did, I've learned something new today about how Ebay works.

Thank you all for your posts

Man Harv, you're a taskmaster! :jokealert:

I know what you're saying, but my understanding is giving a guy 4 stars is considered dinging him. I agree, people that go above and beyond deserve a 6th star. But a guy that shipped the item on time, well packed(assuming, since op didn't mention it), and as described shouldn't get anything considered a negative attached to his/her seller ratings.

If the book arrived within the est delivery timeframe, I'm not sure what the problem is? (shrug)

I've had the same situation happen to me many times, book marked as shipped, no shipping updates for a week. All of a sudden it's marked as accepted. And if it gets to me when it said it would, I'm happy. What makes you think the seller was being malicious? As was mentioned earlier, maybe they could only get to PO on the weekend.

I always appreciate when a seller sets a shipping estimate like that, in the terms of the auction. It tells me they are organized and thinking the entire process through. They know when they can ship and when they will ship.

The fact that he printed postage and packed the book immediately should be lauded as a positive seller attribute. He kept all his promises.

As someone that's never sold a comic in his life, I was unaware about ebay auto marking things as shipped. I learned that after seeing someone mention it on these boards, actually. To the OP's credit, he didn't know about that either.

Honestly, I've had stuff show up a few days after the time frame given, and still give the seller 5 stars. mess happens, as long as the item came as described, I'm usually a happy buyer.

Had I known about the automatic ebay listing it as shipped thing, I would have never started this thread.

I was under the impression I was being lied to by the seller about when he had shipped it.

I thought he was marking it as shipped right away so Ebay would think he sent it, and he wouldn't get in trouble with them, but could still take his sweet time in actually sending it.

Now that I know that he wasn't trying to misrepresent anything, his 5 stars are secure.

Basically all this is, is a case of a slow shipping seller, and not what I thought.

ALL GOOD

Rather then jump to conclusions, and give an undeserved star ding, I thought I would ask the Ebay savvy community here first about it, and I'm glad I did, I've learned something new today about how Ebay works.

Do you treat the guy that as soon as he is paid makes a special trip to the post office to make sure the book or whatever the buyer paid for is shipped right away and goes the extra mile the same as the guy who prints a shipping label and drops it off at the post office a week later without telling the seller WHEN he would ship the book.

I.

AM.

FULLY.

WITH.

YOU.

THERE.

But I just think the guy that goes the extra mile and ships right away gets "REALLY QUICKLY" (which is what 5 star is) gets 5 star and the guy that ships a week later gets "SOMEWHAT QUICKLY" gets 4 star.

There is also a second place to look for more specific handling-only information.

Click the "Shipping and Payments" tab next to the "Description" tab in the item listing.

I don't think this is a requirement to fill in, but if it's there, it will tell you under the "Handling time" header how long you can expect an item to sit with the seller, irrespective of the shipping company.

Click the "Shipping and Payments" tab next to the "Description" tab in the item listing.

I don't think this is a requirement to fill in, but if it's there, it will tell you under the "Handling time" header how long you can expect an item to sit with the seller, irrespective of the shipping company.

hm See, that would get someone 5 stars in my book.

It's not the point of shipping it in a week. Like everyone is saying - if you get the book within a reasonable time, who cares. I'm not a :screwy: buyer. I don't purposely make seller's lives hell and complaint at restaurants if my food isn't up to snuff at all.

I just find fault with a seller that expects a buyer to pay right away and then just keeps him in the dark when a book will ship. If a seller noted it anywhere that handling time could be approximately a week or whatever, fine. That's all.

I'm NOT demanding that my book ship 24xgsy8.gif or you're getting 4 stars. I know people have lives. I know in some areas a PO may be in a remote location. I'm not ignorant or insensitive to that. Just a quick one sentence "hey, I hope to get to the PO hopefully by ___" would earn someone 5 stars OR shipping the book ASAP would earn someone 5 stars.

That is all. (thumbs u

This will be my last post on this subject or in this thread. ;)

I.

AM.

FULLY.

WITH.

YOU.

THERE.

If that is the case, you are punishing (yes, 4 stars is a punishment) the seller who does what they say they will do, and doing it, just because others people do better than that.

That is unreasonable expectations.

-slym

ALL GOOD

:applause:

-slym

ALL GOOD

:applause:

-slym

I propose that the "6th Star" is a willingness to to business again with the seller. lol

Here's a thought. If someone's shipping estimate puts the arrival of your item 7-14 days out, send them a quick message asking if they would be kind enough to expedite. I purchased something that I wanted to have in around 6 days for a friend's b-day, I explained that to the seller, and he said no problem I'll get that in the mail for you tomorrow since you're a repeat customer.

The seller has listed when you can expect your item, if you need or want it sooner it's on you to handle it. It might be as simple as asking for him to shake a leg, or paying for faster shipping, but the seller can't read your mind and know you impatient.

The seller has listed when you can expect your item, if you need or want it sooner it's on you to handle it. It might be as simple as asking for him to shake a leg, or paying for faster shipping, but the seller can't read your mind and know you impatient.

Know I'm impatient? Really?

Well I was going to just let this thread die, but since it's been bumped to the first page again, allow me to add some more things to it.

1. Copied from the sellers "about me" section on the listing(something I didn't see at first)

"•I generally ship 1 business days following payment "

Says he ships in one day following payment, not one week, I paid the guy instantly, and he still waited a full week to ship.

2. Lets talk about the 5 star rating system again.

If you hover your cursor above each star, it tells you what that number means.

5 stars = Very quickly

4 stars = Quickly

3 stars = Neither slowly or quickly

2 stars = Slowly

1 star = Very slowly

So based on Ebays definition of what each star number means you guys are saying that I should give this guy who waited a week to ship, even though his listing says one day, a 5 star rating for ship time??

According to the ebay star definition, this guy should get two stars, maybe 3 tops.

Well I was going to just let this thread die, but since it's been bumped to the first page again, allow me to add some more things to it.

1. Copied from the sellers "about me" section on the listing(something I didn't see at first)

Says he ships in one day following payment, not one week, I paid the guy instantly, and he still waited a full week to ship.

5 stars = Very quickly

4 stars = Quickly

2 stars = Slowly

1 star = Very slowly

So based on Ebays definition of what each star number means you guys are saying that I should give this guy who waited a week to ship, even though his listing says one day, a 5 star rating for ship time??

According to the ebay star definition, this guy should get two stars, maybe 3 tops.

Yep, and relax a bit too. Taking a week to ship (if it was actually that long) is no big deal.

5 stars = Very quickly

4 stars = Quickly

2 stars = Slowly

1 star = Very slowly

Yep, and relax a bit too. Taking a week to ship (if it was actually that long) is no big deal.

You can't read what you are highlighting?

Says he ships in a day, and waited a week.

And thanks for insinuating that I'm lying about it.

5 stars = Very quickly

4 stars = Quickly

2 stars = Slowly

1 star = Very slowly

Dude, be easy!

First of all, he says he "generally" ships one business day after receiving payment. Generally is not a promise, if I saw that I'd figure it told me nothing.

Second, I'm not insinuating you're lying!! Why would I do that? I don't even know you. I assume you're referring to the "(if it was actually that long)" bit, yes? What I mean is, there could have been (most likely were) some days in there where he couldn't get to the PO, like Sundays for instance. Also, he could quite easily have gotten it to the PO the day before it's marked as recieved by them, if not longer. I dropped a package off at the PO a couple weeks ago that didn't register as received at USPS.com for a full week.

Third, The definitions from eBay are vague, and purposefully so. If you received your stuff within the timeframe listed in the sale, and you did say that, then that's good shipping.

And if I may make a suggestion, take a moment to consider before firing off three PMs to someone cursing them out, when it's possible you may have read them wrong. :foryou:

Come to think of it, the PMs were all in separate threads...that could have been a technical error, or were you so pissed you had to yell at me three times?

And if I may make a suggestion, take a moment to consider before firing off three PMs to someone cursing them out, when it's possible you may have read them wrong. :foryou:

Come to think of it, the PMs were all in separate threads...that could have been a technical error, or were you so pissed you had to yell at me three times?

:o

doh!

5 stars = Very quickly

4 stars = Quickly

2 stars = Slowly

1 star = Very slowly

Dude, be easy!

First of all, he says he "generally" ships one business day after receiving payment. Generally is not a promise, if I saw that I'd figure it told me nothing.

Second, I'm not insinuating you're lying!! Why would I do that? I don't even know you. I assume you're referring to the "(if it was actually that long)" bit, yes? What I mean is, there could have been (most likely were) some days in there where he couldn't get to the PO, like Sundays for instance. Also, he could quite easily have gotten it to the PO the day before it's marked as recieved by them, if not longer. I dropped a package off at the PO a couple weeks ago that didn't register as received at USPS.com for a full week.

Third, The definitions from eBay are vague, and purposefully so. If you received your stuff within the timeframe listed in the sale, and you did say that, then that's good shipping.

definitions are vague? they are crystal clear, read again what I posted from ebay about what each star number means and then tell me what you find vague about it.

Guy says in ships in a day, and he waited a week, with no email saying he would be delayed, but yet you still think he should get the "5 star = Very quickly" rating for his ship time?

Actually, I take that back. I don't want to bait you m'man. You read me wrong, it's famously hard to get one's tone across properly online, so my apologies. :foryou: