• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Hierarchy of Characters - Where Does Your Favorite Character Stack Up

174 posts in this topic

This conversation spawned from another thread, but basically someone mentioned '4th tier character' and '3rd tier character' regarding Black Panther (4th) and Silver Surfer (3rd).

In the pantheon of characters in the comicverse, where do characters belong?

First Tier Characters might be:

Spider-Man

Hulk

Batman

But how to you decide where the others belong and how would you do it?

Have fun thrown your thoughts out here and happy Friday!

I'd put Surfer in 2nd tier along with Iron Man, 3rd tier being guys like Luke Cage and Moon Knight (I'd put Black Panther here, too) and 4th tier being guys like Speedball, Night Thrasher, etc.

How would I do it? I have no clue. Someone will come along with an interesting method, though...

It's difficult to assign characters when the criteria is unknown. Are we talking about simply popularity, or their affect on their respective worlds. Also I'm assuming that first tier is a really exclusive list so maybe even Thor wouldn't qualify

That said:

1st: Spidey, Bats, Superman and Wolverine, Wonder Woman

2nd: Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Ms. Marvel, Fantastic Four

3rd: Black Panther, Robin, Catwoman

4th: Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, Zatanna, Cyborg

?????

It's difficult to assign characters when the criteria is unknown. Are we talking about simply popularity, or their affect on their respective worlds. Also I'm assuming that first tier is a really exclusive list so maybe even Thor wouldn't qualify

That said:

2nd: Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Ms. Marvel, Fantastic Four

?????

SILVER SURFER BELOW BLACK PANTHER? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON???

That said:

?????

I think of it as: how important is the character to the foundation of the fictional universe?

I will always see Thor, Spidey, Captain America, Namor, Human Torch/the Fantastic Four (possibly the X-Men) and Hulk as the foundation of Marvel. Wolverine, as much as I like him, seems 2nd tier, only because he's not a character who contributed as much as the 1st tiers have to the expansion of the MU - in terms of ancillary activity, crossover appearances/effectiveness, additional character development/creation within his title(s), etc.

So with that musing, I'm on the hill about Iron Man - he may be 1st tier...

What, no love for my guy Daredevil? Not even a mention? His stock has been rising since Frank Miller and rose even higher thanks to Bendis/Maleev.

He's got to be Tier 2 in my mind, even with the negativity about the movie. I think Netflix will float his 'brand' even higher.

If the character were a stock, I'd say he's a buy.

What, no love for my guy Daredevil? Not even a mention? His stock has been rising since Frank Miller and rose even higher thanks to Bendis/Maleev.

He's got to be Tier 2 in my mind, even with the negativity about the movie. I think Netflix will float his 'brand' even higher.

If the character were a stock, I'd say he's a buy.

+1

DD is definitely 2nd tier.

That said:

?????

:o Hulk,Thor,Fantastic Four and Green Lantern 2nd tier? I think not!