• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC 100 Page Spectacular #4 posted by Ronnylama

21 posts in this topic

Looks like 102 graded copies on the census, a few 9.6 (highest graded), with the majority falling in the 7.0 to 8.0 range...

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=DC+100+Page+Super+Spectacular&issue=4&publisher=D.C.+Comics&year=1971&issuedate=1971

I thought maybe Sub-Mariner 8 (black Thing cover), but that one has 274 graded copies with most falling in the 8.5 to 9.4 range.

Quick search on eBay for "black cover"...Amazing Spider--man 68 has 343 graded copies with most in the 7.0 to 9.2 range and 9.8 is highest graded. Fantastic Four 52 has 3 copies in 9.8 as highest graded, and there are 840 copies, but most fall in the 6.0 to 9.0 range.

The toughest Silver Age Marvel black cover I could find is Amazing Spider-man 28 which has only 7 copies in 9.6 (highest graded) out of 1058 total, and the majority fall in the 7.0 to 8.0 range. Stan Lee, Steve Ditko...first appearance of the Molten Man.

Do I win??

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

I remember when I needed this issue so bad and had looked for years with no joy.

One day I found 2 for sale within a minute of each other, scared of losing both, I bid on them in rapid succession, of course I won both :acclaim: but :tonofbricks:

WEIRDMYSTERYTALES4b-Copy.jpgWEIRDMYSTERYTALES4-Copy.jpg

I have posted this before. My collecting was always focused on #1issues and first appearances. I scoured the trade publications in the 80's-90s (pre-ebay) for all of the tougher Issues. There was an add in the CBG that someone did for this issue. It described the book as perfect in every way, glistening inks, razor sharp corners and edges.

He wanted $100 for it. I think it was guiding at $16 at the time. (Which means it was after the general Bronze increase in the mid- late 90's). $100 was ton of money for me at the time and was by far the most I had spent on a comic. i pulled the trigger, sent the guy a money order, and have never been more let down. It was in the same shape as most of the copies I had seen (and rejected).

It came back CGC 7.0 ten years later.

:facepalm:

Sorry to sound clueless, but other than it being a difficult to get in very high grade and a really cool and demonic looking Wrightson cover, what is the significance of this issue?

SW3D

It is technically a first issue, so it has more demand than a mid run book.

When I went for my 100 pager shown on the bottom right of my sig line early last year, I noticed it was part of a larger collection of 100 pagers listed on ComicLink. I remember a DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #4 in 9.6, the final price was very high, over $700 if I remember correctly.

I not only tip my hat to those who collect these 100 pagers, I also tip my hat to DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #4, what a cover, a beautiful piece both in slabbed and raw form.

I'm tempted to break out my copy and show the 15+ sets of fingerprints centered in the back cover. Finger oils transferred from just holding the book.

I'd love to see that!

I'm thinking that story doesn't end too well though... :(

I'm tempted to break out my copy and show the 15+ sets of fingerprints centered in the back cover. Finger oils transferred from just holding the book.

What do oils to a cover do to a grade?