• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPARKLE CITY OFFERING LARSON DETECTIVE #37 PRE-ROBIN

37 posts in this topic

We are beginning to experiment with different ways to market and offer some of the unique, high demand and high value comics besides our usual non-reserve auction format on EBAY.

This stunning unrestored Detective Comics #37 Larson copy was originally slatted for EBAY but we are offering it on the CGC Boards till 2PM tomorrow, Monday, January 27. We are offering it unpressed and raw. If we do not receive an acceptable offer by that time, we will send it to CGC and explore other options.

If our offer price is met, the book will be considered sold immediately.

We accept paypal, credit cards (not AMEX), bank wire, cash and checks as a form of payment. The comic will not be shipped until full payment is received and cleared.

Free FEDEX shipping with insurance.

This copy came from a collector who bought the book around 1980 And held it until a few weeks ago.

Very tough book to grade. Structurally near mint with blinding colors and gloss. Has small chip in lower right corner and some color loss in upper left corner where minor color touch was removed. Almost no paper loss. Back cover has very minor moisture on middle of lower edge on the back cover. If we have to give a technical grade, F/VF is probably safe.

Offered at $25,000 or best offer

144427.jpg

144428.jpg

144429.jpg

144430.jpg

144431.jpg

:bump:

I didn't want to derail this sales thread but I guess it is okay to ask now.

What is the deal with the stain on the back cover? The Larson Planet 2 has the same stain in the same spot. Were they there originally or did someone mess them up? Without it, you have to think this would have graded a 9.0

What is the deal with the stain on the back cover? The Larson Planet 2 has the same stain in the same spot. Were they there originally or did someone mess them up? Without it, you have to think this would have graded a 9.0

The Larsons were found stacked in a barn from what I understand. Many of them have moisture exposure damage of some sort. Not all of them, but many do.

The Larsons were found stacked in a barn from what I understand. Many of them have moisture exposure damage of some sort. Not all of them, but many do.

It's amazing that they are so fresh given where they were stored. It seems hardly an ideal location, especially when compared to the Church copies. Mold/foxing and light stains are not uncommon.

It's amazing that they are so fresh given where they were stored. It seems hardly an ideal location, especially when compared to the Church copies. Mold/foxing and light stains are not uncommon.

As I've said before, I think that the [possibly humid] environment that creates foxing actually has a positive effect on page quality. The books that I encounter with foxing generally tend to have very nice, supple, fresh, white pages for whatever reason. For that reason I don't perceive foxing to be a negative thing. Some people don't like the look of it but the nice supple feel of the books is a big plus.

It's the big chip missing from the bottom right front cover corner that kills the grade. It's a beauty none-the-less!

As I've said before, I think that the [possibly humid] environment that creates foxing actually has a positive effect on page quality. The books that I encounter with foxing generally tend to have very nice, supple, fresh, white pages for whatever reason. For that reason I don't perceive foxing to be a negative thing. Some people don't like the look of it but the nice supple feel of the books is a big plus.

The precise effect of the environment on the rate of deterioration is a complex topic but there are definitely situations where a humid environment, even if it causes some foxing, is helpful in preserving gloss and page quality. (thumbs u

The precise effect of the environment on the rate of deterioration is a complex topic but there are definitely situations where a humid environment, even if it causes some foxing, is helpful in preserving gloss and page quality. (thumbs u

I've always thought that acidity hurt the paper more than anything except excessive moisture. An open air environment does help to minimize paper acidity damage. With CGC sealed books I've wondered if it would be harmful, or just more harmful to newer books that haven't "cured"completely yet.

Whenever I see foxing I think to myself - white pages! Seriously. lol

Whenever I see foxing I think to myself - white pages! Seriously. lol

That isn't true of most Crippen copies but that's because, iirc, they were first in the basement and then moved to the garage. I have seen a couple that were evidently found in the basement and they are quite nice.