• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Arizona Comic Con Sunday report

28 posts in this topic

I went to this on with no expectations and I have to say it surprised me this year. It truly was mainly about comic books. There were more dealers this year than I have seen in many years of going to the cons here in the valley.

I went with my brother RJRJR, here on the boards, his son and daughter and my youngest daughter. I have to say it turned out to a really fun time. We spoke to Mike for a bit and Ed briefly as well. Both great guys with great books. Mike has a nice little run of early bronze Thors that were beautiful and cheap. I was tempted to buy them and I don't collect Thor.

There were deals to be had at this con you just had to look. This is the first con where I am not sure if I hit all the dealers I found plenty of quarter boxes, fifty cent boxes and 1.00 boxes. Sadly speaking with many dealers the show was slow as far as sales. and I was told 3 dealers left before Sunday due to poor sales. This is truly a shame as this was the first true comic convention and the people didn't seem to come out to support the dealers so they would come back next year. Anime was present but in relatively small numbers. I saw costumes but not like years past they were pretty light. This may be because I only went on Sunday. Although on dealer said it was busier today then on Saturday.

The show for me became more about my Daughter than myself. I am my little ponied out. lol. Spent so much time looking at stuffed animals and trinkets for my Little Pony. Needless to say she loved this con more than the any other. both because of what she got and the time she spent with My brother and his kids. Ron if your read this Sophie said she is not really scared of you and that you are her favorite Uncle.

One highlight for her was the chance to get a Pony sketch from Tony Fleecs. he really went all out for her. He is a truly nice guy and loves his little fans.

scan0024_zps50dc0bef.jpg

I went on saturday with my wife. While we had a good time and there were plenty of comic book sellers, all but 2 had reasonable prices. This was the same as last year. That dealers left early does not surprise me. That's what happens when you have unreasonable prices. I had high hopes for the show but was mostly dissapointed.

My I hit the quarter bins/ discount bins and found some surprising items I couldn't believe. The light sales may contribute to me finding this stuff.

Some things I will not scan like the Darkhawks lol

But here are some items I pulled. Some have flaws but what do expect for being so cheap.

scan0022_zps68cdcaf6.jpg

scan0021_zpsc20c08bd.jpg

scan0020_zpsd4316d36.jpg

I also found some surprising deals at one booth for some Marvel mags. I got these for 4.00 one for 8.00 and the Tales of a Zombie for a little more than that. The Marvel super special w/ jaws 2 is the worse, but its a place holder. The Marvel Preview 10 I didn't see the thumb crease, but it was so cheap it doesn't matter until I buy another. The others are more dups for my collection.

scan0009_zps9fca97f2.jpg

scan0011_zps6ebdaf86.jpg

scan0010_zps8d6428fa.jpg

Cool! Did she get to watch him draw it?

For a little bit. He was extremely busy so we left him alone for a few hours. He took a pic of her with the drawing so hopefully he will post it. She would love that.

I went on saturday with my wife. While we had a good time and there were plenty of comic book sellers, all but 2 had reasonable prices. This was the same as last year. That dealers left early does not surprise me. That's what happens when you have unreasonable prices. I had high hopes for the show but was mostly dissapointed.

One thing I did notice is many dealers had these "hot" movie on their walls for high prices. Not sure if people were paying those prices. But there were plenty of copies of these hanging around. One dealer told me no cared about SA and BA everyone was asking about those.

One thing I did notice is many dealers had these "hot" movie on their walls for high prices. Not sure if people were paying those prices. But there were plenty of copies of these hanging around. One dealer told me no cared about SA and BA everyone was asking about those.

The "hot" books were definitely priced pretty high but even non key silver bronze books were marked way too high. It's too bad, the dealers will probably just blame the convention goers and perhaps not come in the future. What they should be doing is looking at their sale tactics instead.

I didn't get to peruse so I really can't speak to the comics. Saw some statues that were priced very well, and sat in a couple Q&A's with Marc Silvestri, also got a pic with Kirkman and my wife got one with Liefeld. The activities were nice, I saw enough dealers where the prices were awesome (Mikes Rack, robocard). Overall I had a blast, Silvestri is an awesome guy. Can't wait til next year, and looking forward to June for the Phx Comic Con!

Saw plenty of raw X-factor 6s in the 50-70 range. Star Wars 1 raw for 180.00. Some Marvel Premiere 47's well over 100 a pop. My brother could answer better if he posts. There wasn't one book that stood out. Just overall dealers trying to cash in on the movie books. I can't blame them people are paying stupid money for these on ebay.

The "hot" books were definitely priced pretty high but even non key silver bronze books were marked way too high. It's too bad, the dealers will probably just blame the convention goers and perhaps not come in the future. What they should be doing is looking at their sale tactics instead.

Or they will sell online for more money, with less work and come next year and enjoy the show as a buyer (shrug)

It was really nice seeing you Brian and meeting your brother. I had a good time in spite of the slow sales. To put it in perspective, I did this show last year with the same pricing structure and a poorer selection of books and I grossed four times what I did this year. :sorry:

Saw plenty of raw X-factor 6s in the 50-70 range. Star Wars 1 raw for 180.00. Some Marvel Premiere 47's well over 100 a pop. My brother could answer better if he posts. There wasn't one book that stood out. Just overall dealers trying to cash in on the movie books. I can't blame them people are paying stupid money for these on ebay.

I did notice the prices on the movie books were high. I honestly wonder if these movie comics are really collector driven prices or dealer driven prices, because there were plenty of copies to be found? I think we saw a Preacher 1 for $100 raw as well. I didn't see any Astonishing Tales 25 (1st Deathloc), but that may be because that book just caught on fire this past week. I cannot speak to most of the prices I saw, but I will comment on the Star Wars 1 (3 or 4 copies at one booth) raw for $180. Since this book peaks at about $225 9.6 CGC, I think $180 raw is high. Normally, I'd try to negotiate the price and this was a key book I was on the lookout for this convention, but I didn't think there was any chance I would talk the dealer down to a more reasonable $100 which is still higher than the going rate for a Star Wars 1 raw. I suspect $180 raw will someday be reasonable for this comic, but today I don't see anyone paying that price.

I bought more comics out of the $1.00 bins at this convention than any other convention ever. I had to make 3 trips to the car to keep dropping off comics because I couldn't carry them all and I honestly didn't get to see every comic booth this year. My tastes are less mainstream than my brother's. I go looking for science fiction, horror, etc. titles of any age. I'm guessing most of what I buy others would consider drek and I am extremely picky about condition. I passed on the New Teen Titans Annual 2 and Jaws II comic my brother ended up buying even though I saw them first. (shrug)

My fingers are tired from all the box diving I did today. Here is what I picked up, all NM or better except the Star Wars (1977) 3:

$1.00 - Battlestar Galactica (1979) 3 x2,5

$1.00 - Blood of the Demon 1

$0.50 - Dark Horse Presents 67 x2 (Predator)

$1.00 - Doc Frankenstein 5

$5.00 - Dracula 57

$1.00 - Flash Gordon (Ardden) 2,3,4,5

$1.00 - Frankenstein Mobster 2B,7

$1.00 - Micronauts (DDP) 1,3

$1.00 - Micronauts (Image) 3,4A,4B,5,6,10

$1.00 - Micronauts (Image) Karza 1,2

$0.50 - New Teen Titans (1980) 9 (Deathstroke app),11,12,14,19,20,26 (1st Terra),27 (Atari Force preview),28,29,31,32,35,36,38 (origin Wondergirl),41 (1st Tales of the ...),45,46,47,48,49,50

$0.50 - New Teen Titans Annual (1980) 1

$0.50 - New Teen Titans Annual (1984) 1 (1st Vanguard),2,3,4

$1.00 - Nexus: The Origin (Rude Dude Production)

$1.00 - Infinite Crisis Special Rann-Thanagar War 1

$1.00 - Frank Miller Robocop 4,7, 7 (office lewis - limited to 1500), 8, 8 (kicking - limited to 1500), 8 (obliterate - limited to 1500)

$1.00 - Robocop: Wild Child (Avatar) 1 (catfight - limited to 1000)

$1.00 - Star Wars (1998) 4 (AU exclusive),6 (AU exclusive),10 x2 (1st Darth Krayt),11,13,14,15,16,17 (1st Quinlan Vos)

$1.00 - Star Wars Republic 48,50,51 x2,52 x2 (1st Durge),56,57,58,59,60 (Asaj Ventress origin)

$2.00 - Star Wars (1977) 3 (VF),5,13,15,24,28,39,43

$5.00 - Star Wars (1977) 15

$1.00 - Star Wars: Aayla Secura

$1.00 - Star Wars: Mace Windu (1st Asaj Ventress)

$1.00 - Star Wars: Empire 1

$1.00 - Star Wars: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan: The Aurorient Express 1

Admission - The Walking Dead 1 (Amazing Arizona Comic Convention) x 3

You'll notice the Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans on my buying list. These were beautiful copies for $0.50 and I have a soft spot for Perez's New Teen Titans and Byrne's Fantastic Four. These are some of the few superhero books I buy when I find them for a good price and in the condition I like.

I could have kept going on the various Dark Horse Star Wars titles and walked out with probably a 100 more NM or better Star Wars comics, but ultimately I limited my purchases to books that have some of the key first appearances and a few odds and ends.

Micronauts, Robocop, the different Frankenstein comics, and Flash Gordon are a guilty pleasure of mine. While I would never pick up a new Avatar title (ahem - Uber - ahem), I have no qualms buying them for $1.00 when I see them for a character like Robocop which I collect. :cloud9:

It was really nice seeing you Brian and meeting your brother. I had a good time in spite of the slow sales. To put it in perspective, I did this show last year with the same pricing structure and a poorer selection of books and I grossed four times what I did this year. :sorry:

Mike, it was nice meeting you. Chris absolutely loved the Mad magazines you gave him (yes, Mike was nice enough to give my son free comics!) and the few he purchased. I definitely appreciated your generosity. I agree with Brian your Thor run was nice and if I was a superhero collector, I would have been all over those books and many others you had in your boxes.

I am sorry to hear you did not do well at this convention. I honestly have never seen so many comic dealer's at an Arizona comic convention before. I was happy to see this, but am very disappointed to hear people didn't come out to buy comics. It was surreal thumbing through the $1.00 boxes at some of the dealers without having to fight for my space, getting bumped, etc. And there was a great selection of book on Sunday. I'm honestly shocked at some of the books I was able to buy and some of the books I saw in the boxes still. I wish I had brought twice the money, a bigger car, and had more time to look.