• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Arizona Comic Con Sunday report

28 posts in this topic

I forgot to mention, I also picked up a bootleg copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special on DVD. I have a copy on VHS, but I have not had the opportunity to watch it for a few years. My wife just shook her head when I showed it to her tonight. lol Well, at least I'll be able to enjoy it with my 2 kids.

I forgot to mention, I also picked up a bootleg copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special on DVD. I have a copy on VHS, but I have not had the opportunity to watch it for a few years. My wife just shook her head when I showed it to her tonight. lol Well, at least I'll be able to enjoy it with my 2 kids.
That's awesome, we should have a screening this Christmas. The Bea Aurther cantina song is the highlight for me.

I had a good time, and I always like giving comics to kids that I know will enjoy them. I really enjoy talking comics and chatting it up with collectors but my favorite part was getting this

A7B56775-5066-44FA-B27A-DD01E3D45CA7_zpsrorpe9ij.jpg

:roflmao:

Saw plenty of raw X-factor 6s in the 50-70 range. Star Wars 1 raw for 180.00. Some Marvel Premiere 47's well over 100 a pop. My brother could answer better if he posts. There wasn't one book that stood out. Just overall dealers trying to cash in on the movie books. I can't blame them people are paying stupid money for these on ebay.

I did notice the prices on the movie books were high. I honestly wonder if these movie comics are really collector driven prices or dealer driven prices, because there were plenty of copies to be found? I think we saw a Preacher 1 for $100 raw as well. I didn't see any Astonishing Tales 25 (1st Deathloc), but that may be because that book just caught on fire this past week. I cannot speak to most of the prices I saw, but I will comment on the Star Wars 1 (3 or 4 copies at one booth) raw for $180. Since this book peaks at about $225 9.6 CGC, I think $180 raw is high. Normally, I'd try to negotiate the price and this was a key book I was on the lookout for this convention, but I didn't think there was any chance I would talk the dealer down to a more reasonable $100 which is still higher than the going rate for a Star Wars 1 raw. I suspect $180 raw will someday be reasonable for this comic, but today I don't see anyone paying that price.

I bought more comics out of the $1.00 bins at this convention than any other convention ever. I had to make 3 trips to the car to keep dropping off comics because I couldn't carry them all and I honestly didn't get to see every comic booth this year. My tastes are less mainstream than my brother's. I go looking for science fiction, horror, etc. titles of any age. I'm guessing most of what I buy others would consider drek and I am extremely picky about condition. I passed on the New Teen Titans Annual 2 and Jaws II comic my brother ended up buying even though I saw them first. (shrug)

My fingers are tired from all the box diving I did today. Here is what I picked up, all NM or better except the Star Wars (1977) 3:

$1.00 - Battlestar Galactica (1979) 3 x2,5

$1.00 - Blood of the Demon 1

$0.50 - Dark Horse Presents 67 x2 (Predator)

$1.00 - Doc Frankenstein 5

$5.00 - Dracula 57

$1.00 - Flash Gordon (Ardden) 2,3,4,5

$1.00 - Frankenstein Mobster 2B,7

$1.00 - Micronauts (DDP) 1,3

$1.00 - Micronauts (Image) 3,4A,4B,5,6,10

$1.00 - Micronauts (Image) Karza 1,2

$0.50 - New Teen Titans (1980) 9 (Deathstroke app),11,12,14,19,20,26 (1st Terra),27 (Atari Force preview),28,29,31,32,35,36,38 (origin Wondergirl),41 (1st Tales of the ...),45,46,47,48,49,50

$0.50 - New Teen Titans Annual (1980) 1

$0.50 - New Teen Titans Annual (1984) 1 (1st Vanguard),2,3,4

$1.00 - Nexus: The Origin (Rude Dude Production)

$1.00 - Infinite Crisis Special Rann-Thanagar War 1

$1.00 - Frank Miller Robocop 4,7, 7 (office lewis - limited to 1500), 8, 8 (kicking - limited to 1500), 8 (obliterate - limited to 1500)

$1.00 - Robocop: Wild Child (Avatar) 1 (catfight - limited to 1000)

$1.00 - Star Wars (1998) 4 (AU exclusive),6 (AU exclusive),10 x2 (1st Darth Krayt),11,13,14,15,16,17 (1st Quinlan Vos)

$1.00 - Star Wars Republic 48,50,51 x2,52 x2 (1st Durge),56,57,58,59,60 (Asaj Ventress origin)

$2.00 - Star Wars (1977) 3 (VF),5,13,15,24,28,39,43

$5.00 - Star Wars (1977) 15

$1.00 - Star Wars: Aayla Secura

$1.00 - Star Wars: Mace Windu (1st Asaj Ventress)

$1.00 - Star Wars: Empire 1

$1.00 - Star Wars: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan: The Aurorient Express 1

Admission - The Walking Dead 1 (Amazing Arizona Comic Convention) x 3

You'll notice the Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans on my buying list. These were beautiful copies for $0.50 and I have a soft spot for Perez's New Teen Titans and Byrne's Fantastic Four. These are some of the few superhero books I buy when I find them for a good price and in the condition I like.

I could have kept going on the various Dark Horse Star Wars titles and walked out with probably a 100 more NM or better Star Wars comics, but ultimately I limited my purchases to books that have some of the key first appearances and a few odds and ends.

Micronauts, Robocop, the different Frankenstein comics, and Flash Gordon are a guilty pleasure of mine. While I would never pick up a new Avatar title (ahem - Uber - ahem), I have no qualms buying them for $1.00 when I see them for a character like Robocop which I collect. :cloud9:

I hope a few of the dollar bargains came from our boxes. I am not sure how many we sold but at least 7 longs boxes worth. I think we gave out over 100 free comics to kids as well. Nothing better than to see the smiles on both the kid and parent's faces when you tell them to pick out whatever book they want (from the dollar boxes of course). lol

Next stop Phoenix Comic Con the first week-end in June! Enjoyed meeting and selling books to several Boardies this year as well.

Ed

I had a good time, and I always like giving comics to kids that I know will enjoy them. I really enjoy talking comics and chatting it up with collectors but my favorite part was getting this

A7B56775-5066-44FA-B27A-DD01E3D45CA7_zpsrorpe9ij.jpg

:roflmao:

That is sweet! :applause: Rifleman would be proud.