• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SFilosa--YOU'RE VERY LUCKY!!!

110 posts in this topic

i'd say the buyer (007) got himself a real sweet deal. i wonder if there was a problem with Ebay on this one, as well??

oh well, maybe Captain Tripps' PC copy will be priced under $2000......

I tried to bid at the last minute but my internet was slow on the TTA. I still would have bid less than a grand as I have spent WAY TOO MUCH the past few months.

If Doug's copy is a 9.4, it should be priced way under $2K. If it's a 9.6, it won't be.

i don't know to be sure, but given who we're talking about and the fact that it's not a particularly early issue, i'll be surprised if it's not a 9.6 Pac Coast. at least i hope it is, as my beautiful 9.4 copy will seem cheap by comparison. grin.gif

The PC copy of TTA #57 (which is mine by the way!) is a 9.4 and will be appearing on the Captain's website in the next few days. A no-prize to all who said it'd be under $2K. The asking price will be $1,625 takeit.gif

The PC copy of TTA #57 (which is mine by the way!) is a 9.4 and will be appearing on the Captain's website in the next few days. A no-prize to all who said it'd be under $2K. The asking price will be $1,625

Gee, only 50% higher than the last one that just sold on eBay. wink.gif

I'm sure it's a beauty, and I look forward to seeing the other PC's on his site.

The PC copy of TTA #57 (which is mine by the way!) is a 9.4 and will be appearing on the Captain's website in the next few days. A no-prize to all who said it'd be under $2K. The asking price will be $1,625 takeit.gif

Hi Mark, good to see you on the boards again. I'm a little curious why you're selling your copy on Doug's site, given that you've got your own site now?

Harry,

Actually, I would price mine at around 10,000 as I recently re-submitted it and it's now a 9.8 (same as the Avengers 10, both PC's). See why I love this pedigre?/

Capt.

Forget about the Avengers, nice resub of the other PC X-men 1 to a 9.8! yay.gif

Hi Mark, good to see you on the boards again. I'm a little curious why you're selling your copy on Doug's site, given that you've got your own site now?

Hi Tim. Yes it's good to back on the boards now the dust has settled a bit. I'ts a long story as to why I've consigned the item to Doug rather than sell it on my own website. There were very sound business reasons and all I can say is that this is just one small part of a much larger more complicated transaction!

Incidentally Murph I've also seen the Green River copy of TTA #57 on Doug's site and I also see it's got a bid already of $1,750.

Harry,

Actually, I would price mine at around 10,000 as I recently re-submitted it and it's now a 9.8 (same as the Avengers 10, both PC's). See why I love this pedigre?/

Capt.

Was the CGC grading on these books so far off in the early days? Seems like a lot of Pac Coasts have been resubbed for higher grades. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Murph,

I can only list them as the consignor tells me too. The site was designed for high list prices so a consignor can accept a lower, but reasonable offer. Other times the list price is the consignor's bottom price. Thought I'd let you know.

Best,

Doug

Greg,

That might be the greatest stack in the history of comics (X-Men PC run). When I got the white page 9.6 back, I knew it had a shot as I remember being bummed when I initially traded it for the then-only PC copy (the 9.8 was always a PC, but not recognized as such until much later, after I traded it for the one that's now on my site). Anyway, you can imagine my excitement and joy when I got the grade. The resubmission game is expensive and burdensome, but the PC's make it easier as they are basically perfect unread books.

I have had some books go down too so it's not always exciting!! Anyway, thanks for the kudos, Greg. I appreciate it.

Capt.

Captain,

You still haven't answered the question. If the Pac's are so perfect then why weren't they graded correctly the first time around. I don't see such a high success of resubbing with other Pedigrees.

Enquiring minds just want to understand.......

Mushroom.

Captain,

You still haven't answered the question. If the Pac's are so perfect then why weren't they graded correctly the first time around. I don't see such a high success of resubbing with other Pedigrees.

Enquiring minds just want to understand.......

I don't know the exact answer, but I can probably give a pretty good rational for this:

1) The good Captain (Doug to his friends) has lots (and I mean lots) of Pacific Coast books.

2) Doug has a very good eye for high grade books and what makes a 9.8, better than a 9.6, which is better than a 9.4, etc.

3) Doug, unlike most collectors (including myself), has the "guts" to resubmit very high grade books. I bet most collectors who have a 9.6, wouldn't dream of resubmitting (even if they thought it was perfect). One, because of the fear of a lower grade and two, the cost of resubmitting usually on books like that is a minimum of $70 if not $110.

Said another way, I'm not sure that the PC's were necessarily ungraded anymore than other books, as I have seen other non PC books that Doug has resubmitted, and received a higher grade.

Interesting post Sfilosa.....what I am to deduce from this is that the Captain is a better grader than CGC or that day 1 CGC wasn't very good and undergraded but they are much better now because they come up with the grades that the Captain had already figured out the first time around.

Excuse me if I am a little cynical......but as somebody who owns quite a few slabs I just have this terrible feeling that I may have made a mistake.

Interesting that all the Pac Coast TTA's just put up on the Capt's site are new label slabs but most of the others are old label.

What with SCS, missed restoration, pressing controversies, etc etc etc I am losing my religion.

Interesting post Sfilosa.....what I am to deduce from this is that the Captain is a better grader than CGC or that day 1 CGC wasn't very good and undergraded but they are much better now because they come up with the grades that the Captain had already figured out the first time around.

Excuse me if I am a little cynical......but as somebody who owns quite a few slabs I just have this terrible feeling that I may have made a mistake.

Interesting that all the Pac Coast TTA's just put up on the Capt's site are new label slabs but most of the others are old label.

What with SCS, missed restoration, pressing controversies, etc etc etc I am losing my religion.

To be honest, I find all this, combined with reports of upgrades of other big ticket books recently, to be a bit unnerving too. I will note, however, that I have had some very big collectors tell me that Doug's ability to look at a book through the slab and determine if it's a good resubmission candidate is unparalleled. So I'll continue to give CGC the benefit of the doubt...for now.

In the case of the PC TTA's, though, perhaps they just weren't submitted to CGC for the first time until the advent of the new label? I note that Mark's PC TOSs all have new labels. But heck, why speculate when Mark can just answer for himself, since he seems to be checking out this thread?