• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC or Bust

39 posts in this topic

This is awesome. I was wondering what the secret message in the PM was and while I have mixed feelings to start I am happy that in a way your following a job where your true heart lies. I mean from here on you could hold items like Action Comics #1 in the palm of your white gloved hand inspecting it as meticulously as a Drill Sergeant during an inspection. You could very well pick up an issue I one day could possibly own. And even cooler it could speed up my time in our eventual meeting in person.

It does sadden me that the possible rumor could come true though that you could no longer viably sell or possibly buy CGC comics. Hopefully we as a community can band together and get you those last two Mint's your looking for before your set get's possibly locked out forever. Hopefully once you've joined there ranks it really is everything you want it to be, but that you continue to write when able on here.

Good luck with everything and hopefully you get the position.

Oh and since everyone else is saying it I might as well now throw it out there... if you get any signed X-Force's... you probably know who the owner is going to be.... Be gentle on my heart.... Please

This is great news and good luck. I hope you weren't caught up in that mess of a storm in Atlanta. I have to second K-Man's statement that I hope you're still able to write journals. It wouldn't be the same here without you. I do hope you're able to score those last 2 NM books prior to the if/when your purchasing is put on halt.

But good luck and keep us posted.

He flew by just before the nasty stuff in Atlanta.

And for everyone's edification, YES, being an employee of CGC means that you cannot buy or sell CGC comics. I would like to say that he can accept gifts, but that could also be an iffy situation. He'll be asking them about that.

Ronnylama, my friend, you are a funny guy! I'm laughing my head off over here! lol

I was one of the very few who knew this was coming and have talked extensively with Tnerb about the pros and cons of being a CGC grader. He has decided that he very much wants this job. So much so, that the lockdown on his CGC collection is not a deterent to him.

He would be much happier living here in Florida. Also, I am looking to move to Sarasota myself sometime in the next year, so we could hang out a lot more often.

Tnerb, you have my unconditional support in this endeavor! You are at CGC right now and as you read through these replies, know that you have many friends and supporters here.

We are behind you 100 percent!

PS - my Fleas are in place and ready just in case you need them.

All the best of luck to you in this endeavor! I have often wondered how many graders were there, and what the process might be to join CGC. It seems almost paradoxical to hire people who are sufficiently knowledgeable about comics so much but are willing to sacrifice the ability to collect slabs. I guess raws are still fair game, so the hunt for pristine Copper Marvels continues.

I don't expect a sudden outpouring of insider information, and I suspect that the restrictions on what you can say about the process may be even more upsetting than the curtailment of your slab purchases. You've been a comics journalist for a while now, and hopefully can find an outlet for that's agreeable to all.

I wonder if you can still submit books you already own for Signature Series? You aren't acquiring any new books, just modifying existing... hm

I was thinking last night, I wonder if he'll have to take a test as part of his interview? My thought is yes. Like they will present him with a few books from different eras in different condition that have already been screened by other graders, just to see how close he gets to their assessment. Man, that would be nerve wracking. Time to throw out a baseball cheer...good eye Tnerb, good eye!

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

I know of at least one bookstore that had a general literature knowledge test as a part of its hiring package. I never took it, but basically they wanted to be sure their employees could actually help customers find Shakespeare or The Stand without having to go to a computer index.

I would imagine there was a test both of grading but also general comics knowledge. For example, you wouldn't want a grader penalizing your New Mutants 87 for fading because it was more orange than red, when all of us know it's just a printing variation. Things like checking for Canadian newsstand price versions and JC Penney reprints should be on there too.

Yes, they will test him with gradings. The two biggest things they look for in Grader candidates is consistency and trainability. He has both of these qualities in my opinion.

In other words, if they have ten issues that they grade at 8.5, and a candidate looks them over and comes up with four or five different grades among those ten issues, then he is not very consistent. If he comes up with all 7.5s then he is consistent, just not seeing the deficiencies the same as the professionals. That's were the trainability comes in.

SW3D - yes, I have thought long and hard about it. I even spoke with Mike at CGC about the possibility and he told me that I had a good eye. But there are cons to this option for me.

1) Unlike Tnerb, who really wants to move into a new career, I like my current job. It pays well; I am completely covered by medical, dental and vision insurance; I have 401K retirement benefits. To top it all off, I get 3 weeks of paid vacation time a year! And I like the work to boot.

:luhv:

2) While I am completely in favor of CGCs need to avoid conflict of interest problems, the fact that I couldn't buy or sell graded comics is a big downer for me personally.

:rulez:

3) I'm not currently in a position to be comfortable moving from Tallahassee yet.

(shrug)

The third one on the list may change very soon. Like Tnerb, I have something in the works as well that I am not at liberty to divulge at the moment, but by the end of the year, I will know if I even need my current job anymore. And at that point, I plan on moving down to Sarasota for a number of reasons, one of which is to be close to CGC and all the Central Florida attractions and locales.

If Tnerb gets the job at CGC, then this would be even more beneficial to me, since we could then hang out with each other on a regular basis!!

:applause:

As soon as I know for sure how everything turns out, I will let everyone know about my little venture, but as a teaser I will tell you that I am in talks with a number of companies involving the venture, including Disney, who we all know now owns Marvel Comics!!!! hm

Best of luck to my big brother and to everyone who will benefit mightily from having such a talented individual handling and grading our treasured comic books!!!!

:whee:

I certainly see the appeal, what a great experience, both short and long term! Not being able to trade in CGC books doesn't seem like too much of a drawback given the benefits of this experience, and it's not like he can't continue to collect comics.