• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Comparisons Between Dealers
3 3

188 posts in this topic

Just now, Artboy99 said:

It is nice to see you post here again Cheetah I have missed you.

Thank you again for selling me your wonderful copy of Planet Comics 17.

I took a peak at the Heritage auction earlier this week (hence my stop here) and saw some of my old books up for auction again.  I miss the Planet run although my favorite were the Jumbos.  I hung onto the best of those.

22 hours ago, cheetah said:

Very weird to stop in and see this thread on the first page.  It definitely helped me beef up my Excel skills.

For those who wondered, I quit collecting books because of the turmoil the theft caused in my life.  I had over $100,000 in books stolen but in order to make sure I got as much back as possible, I spent hundreds of hours reviewing my personal inventory records, my sales records, and the prices I paid.  At the time, I had about 5,000 GA books and an equal number of modern and BA books.  My GA books were all well documented and organized but my moderns were not.  I had to go through hundreds of PMs and emails from Beachbum and eBay, organize three years worth of modern purchases, and then compare everything to compile what I hoped was an accurate list of what was missing.  Then I had to compare it to eBay sales to track what was missing down.  Add to that, the police had a bit of an attitude when I wanted the books that ended up selling on eBay returned to me and thought I should let the guy who bought them from the thief off without having to get them back...even though he said he knew they were stolen.  Honestly, it sucked 100% of the fun out of the hobby and replaced it with 100% anxiety because I no longer felt I had a safe place to put my books, and you can't put 10,000 CGC graded books under your bed.  During all of this, I was still managing my own business and raising two children as a single dad.  I'm not sure staying in the hobby would have been prudent, especially considering every crackhead in Kentucky now knew just how much my books were worth and where they were stored.

As far as Metro goes, I quit dealing with them after Vinnie yelled at me on the phone.  I found them to be unethical con men.  It wasn't a reason I quit collecting but I curtailed my purchases before the end.  Fortunately, there are (or were) plenty of good, honest, reputable dealers in the hobby so the damage was not mortal.

Sorry if I come off to some as a primadonna.  It is likely more social anxiety than anything else, though looking in a mirror is often more reflective of what is inside yourself than it is of others.

You've been missed. 

This thread must have been a ton of work and it likely took a bit of courage to create.  I consider it one of the most valuable threads created on the boards.

22 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

You've been missed. 

This thread must have been a ton of work and it likely took a bit of courage to create.  I consider it one of the most valuable threads created on the boards.

I agree, fantastic information.

I have dealt with all of the sellers in his list and my own data supports his findings. My raw 6.5 purchase of the Startling Terror Tales 11 that came back CGC 4.5 is a perfect example of seller #1 and it now resides in your signature line.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

You've been missed. 

Thank you for that.  It took time but probably less time than filling out all the on-line submission forms for CGC that I needed to submit the books.  One day, I will probably sell a lot of the raw copies that I have and submit them for grading beforehand.  Not sure I have the purchase grades but, if so, I would probably amend the results to include the new data.

2 hours ago, cheetah said:

Thank you for that.  It took time but probably less time than filling out all the on-line submission forms for CGC that I needed to submit the books.  One day, I will probably sell a lot of the raw copies that I have and submit them for grading beforehand.  Not sure I have the purchase grades but, if so, I would probably amend the results to include the new data.

I read your entire thread today, and I must say I found it fascinating. You did an excellent job of compiling this information, although I'm very sorry about your bizarre fiasco with the "meth-head"...what a jerk. I hope you find the time to keep adding to your original data, even though I wasn't really surprised by the results. I've dealt with nearly every one of the folks on your list at one time or another, and your findings only confirm what I've experienced. Thanks for all your hard work, and I'm happy to meet you!   :)