• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shouldn't a CGC 9.8 off-white pages be more desirable than 9.8 white pages?

233 posts in this topic

Shouldn't a CGC 9.8 Off-White to White pages be more desirable than CGC 9.8 White pages due to both having the same grade,rather than being considered less by most collectors? Wouldn't this imply the Off-White to White page copy would grade higher if it did in fact have white pages?

no

It's been my experience people prefer white pages even if another book has the same grade with off-white pages. For me all that matters is the grade on CGC books, I don't care about how white the pages are. I think a 9.8 is a 9.8. I remember years ago on here a WWBN 32 CGC 9.8 was shown where someone commented about the page quality being off-white like it was somehow a negative.

Shouldn't a CGC 9.8 Off-White to White pages be more desirable than CGC 9.8 White pages due to both having the same grade,rather than being considered less by most collectors? Wouldn't this imply the Off-White to White page copy would grade higher if it did in fact have white pages?

Actually, the CGC shouldn't even note page quality on the label at all unless it actually factors into the assigned grade as their page quality designations are mercurial at best.

It's been my experience people prefer white pages even if another book has the same grade with off-white pages. For me all that matters is the grade on CGC books, I don't care about how white the pages are. I think a 9.8 is a 9.8. I remember years ago on here a WWBN 32 CGC 9.8 was shown where someone commented about the page quality being off-white like it was somehow a negative.

It is a negative for some people if they're looking to buy - that doesn't mean it affects the grade though.

This is an odd thing to bring up 2 and a half years since your last posts!

Actually, the CGC shouldn't even note page quality on the label at all unless it actually factors into the assigned grade as their page quality designations are mercurial at best.

^^

Uh, what? You need to read up a little more on grading procedures..

Congrats on receiving some 9.8 OW-W books in your last submission!!

Balham's Finest,

The reason I bring it up is because I'm seeing more & more people wanting white pages over off-white pages for the same grade. To counter their thinking I would think off-white would be more desirable because it has the same grade despite having a lower page quality.

As I stated before, I don't personally care about page quality just the grade.

Congrats on receiving some 9.8 OW-W books in your last submission!!

lol

Balham's Finest,

The reason I bring it up is because I'm seeing more & more people wanting white pages over off-white pages for the same grade. To counter their thinking I would think off-white would be more desirable because it has the same grade despite having a lower page quality.

Okay, I will try to explain this one more time.

So....a CGC 9.8 with cream pages would be even better. hm

5154c_ORIG-baxter_cain_baseketball_gif_disgust.gif

Uh, what? You need to read up a little more on grading procedures..

If you are implying page quality has no bearing on the grade, why bother putting it on the label then? Also then why would anybody pay more for white pages over off-white for the same grade if it has no bearing? The whole point to my original post is that people prefer & pay more for white pages over off-white for the same grade on a regular basis.

Balham's Finest,

Uh... so I should buy 9.8s with spine tics, because if they didn't have spine tics they'd be higher grade, and therefore they're more desirable?

^^

The white page preference is to me tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY, considering just how mercurial the page designations can be.

Balham's Finest,

What you're not understanding is the page quality (as it pertains to whiteness) has no effect on the numeric grade. To borrow a common coin phrase, the pages simply have more eye appeal (assuming you prefer white pages).

Balham's Finest,

Okay, I will try to explain this one more time.

So....a CGC 9.8 with cream pages would be even better. hm

You're actually not explaining anything, you're asking me a question without a question mark at the end, but you're definitely not explaining anything with your above comment . I have never seen a 9.8 with cream pages.

It's very simple, if 2 cgc books have the same grade but one has a lower page quality & still grades out the same as the one with white pages there should be no reason someone would prefer the one with white pages. Which is what people are doing. If page quality has no bearing, then CGC shouldn't put it on the label where people would think it matters so much to pay more for white over off-white.

If I may be the lone voice of disagreement here, the fact that it's not factored into the grade is exactly why they should annotate the page quality. Otherwise how do you know if a book has nice, white pages or cream? It's not like you can open it.