• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So This happened....

23 posts in this topic

Hello everyone just wanted to see if this problem can be fixed, I recently send my Xo-Manowar Comic to steve engelhart to sign, He signs it but on return to me i pull it out of the sleeve and the cover falls off this is the second #1 i have had that the cover has fallen off of, I dont know if its common with this book or what, Is there any way to get the cover back on. Help would be appreciated.

Well, over the years I've had any number of X-0 Manowar first issues and I didn't have any with detached covers, so I don't know if this common with the book or not. I don't see anything that suggests it should be in the books construction.

If you never intend to open the book up - just plan on bagging/boarding and admiring it - you could do nothing. Probably can't tell the cover has detached in a bag and board. If you want to be able to read the book, then..... there is an easy enough fix to reattach the cover - but it is never going to be considered a "NM" book again. Nor is it "good as new". This is just a repair.

Take a large paper clip and slide it over the back half of the interior wraps (not the cover!). This holds the pages in place. Gently bend the staple prongs at the centerfold straight (a tiny flat blade screwdriver works well.) Remove the staples and set aside - making note of which was top and bottom.

Lay the interior cover flat and put a couple of small pieces of tape over where the staples pulled through. You can use whatever transparent tape you have lying around, or you can go to an art store and get archival document tape (more on this later)

Put the cover back over the interior wrap, line up the holes and gently push the staples back through. This is the hardest part - you want to use the same holes already in the paper, not create new ones.

Once done, lay the book flat again and bend the staple prongs back, doing your best to line them up where they were at. The tiny screwdriver can be used to help bend by pushing it up next to the staple prong and bending the prong over the blade of the screwdriver. Remove the big paper clip and you are done.

This is how people have reattached comic book covers since the beginning of comics (well, what we call comics anyway - scotch tape has been around since 1930)

This is NOT an ideal fix. If CGC graded such a book it would get the same grade as if the cover was detached. Give it a few decades and non-archival tape will discolor and weaken the paper (archival tape will not damage the book). But it does return the book to a "cover attached, looks normal state".

How expensive is this book to replace?

It's inexpensive. $5-$10 raw. But the OP's copy had been signed, so I would imagine it has more significance to them. Plus there would be the extra time and expense of getting another raw copy signed.

Personally I would have a second copy signed considering the first one a loss and a lesson learned IF the signature is a hard one to acquire.

A good suggestion for getting a books signed in the future is to have a window bag made up with 3-4 backing boards. This minimizes the handling and chance of damage to a book. Book never has to be removed from the bag.

I can sign it for you for $20 and a guarantee that the cover will not detach (assuming it is properly affixed at the time of mailing).

I can also send you a photo of me signing it for an additional $5.

PM me if interested (cash only, sorry).

Personally I would have a second copy signed considering the first one a loss and a lesson learned IF the signature is a hard one to acquire.

A good suggestion for getting a books signed in the future is to have a window bag made up with 3-4 backing boards. This minimizes the handling and chance of damage to a book. Book never has to be removed from the bag.

That's a great suggestion. Depending on the creator doing the signing, it's sometimes more theory than anything else though. Mike at Hero Restoration did that for me on a book Stan was signing. Stan's known to be a bit rough. So anyway, get the book back and there is no way Stan signed it in the windowed bag. Signature was both larger than the window and not where the window was at. :mad:

That's a great suggestion. Depending on the creator doing the signing, it's sometimes more theory than anything else though. Mike at Hero Restoration did that for me on a book Stan was signing. Stan's known to be a bit rough. So anyway, get the book back and there is no way Stan signed it in the windowed bag. Signature was both larger than the window and not where the window was at. :mad:

A) People cut tiny holes in their window bags for creators with large signatures.

B) People cut holes in their window bags and don't mark the outline of the hole with masking tape.

= Much surprise & gnashing o' teeth when the book comes back with a sprawling signature across the plastic.

A) People cut tiny holes in their window bags for creators with large signatures.

B) People cut holes in their window bags and don't mark the outline of the hole with masking tape.

= Much surprise & gnashing o' teeth when the book comes back with a sprawling signature across the plastic.

I'm sure this happens. But wasn't the case with my book. Mike did set it up correctly. Clearly Stan just removed the book from the bag and signed where he wanted. There was no writing on the plastic. Sorry that I did not state this clearly enough in my original post

I'm sure this happens. But wasn't the case with my book. Mike did set it up correctly. Clearly Stan just removed the book from the bag and signed where he wanted. There was no writing on the plastic. Sorry that I did not state this clearly enough in my original post

Ahh - that makes more sense. Yeah, I've seen Stan do that when he didn't like the position of the window bag cutout.