• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your January acquisitions?

83 posts in this topic

January is my favorite month probably because I love cold weather, it is the beginning of a new year, and I was born on this month but I also get a lot of great comics in January almost every year. Here are some and what was your best comic you got this month?

It took me years to find a copy of this. The only others that I have seen are the two that Heritage sold over the years and mine makes three.

Good001_zps0050434a.jpg

This is freakin impossible to find. This is the first Japanese Superman comic and it is a weird one!!!!!!!!!!!! The first 35 or so pages are in full color then for some reason it switches to black and white! The whole thing is in Japanese except for one story toward the end that is entirely in English!!! Talk about weird! There are all kinds of ads for superman outfits. I think some guy has a site dedicated to this book. He is the only other one that I know has one.

JapaneseSupe001_zpsb4d0894a.jpg

This is an obscure comic and is a gerber 7 and has only one graded poor in the census. The thing that struck me about this book is the way the cover art looks animated. This kinda unusual for a 40's comic. The only thing that comes close maybe is the Kewpies cover but that is not as animated looking as this.

Nutty001_zpsfb406531.jpg

I saved the best for last. I could not fit this large comic on my scanner too well and I don't have a digital camera. I am not that into the technology age but I got as much as I could. This is the 1929/1930 The funnies comic, the first four color comic ever. I think there were like 36 issues. These are the comics before The funnies carnival of comics. These are IMPOSSIBLE to find. This is the only one of the series I have EVER seen in my 23 years of collecting rare comics. Also the cool thing is the comics are all originals, no reprints!

Funnies1930001_zpsa31cb208.jpg

Cool Books Bo (thumbs u Here are my favorite pickups of Jan. 2014...nothing that broke the bank but quite pleased :grin: ...I also got a Boy Comics #10 in the mail that should be here Monday so didn't quite make the January list...

11998281383_4ba2516aa5_b.jpg

11985839405_683b2736c1_b.jpg

12123686316_4ea96cebb0_b.jpg

Only one acquisition this month... >>> :cloud9:

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

(worship) Kudos to Bunky Brian for cooking' up this deal. Thanks buddy! (thumbs u

(worship)

Amazing, but why does it have two designations (I know the second is a sticker on the outside of the slab). I've seen the "non-recognized pedigree sticker" approach for some collections that didnt obtain pedigree status... but this is a Larson... what matters after that?