• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Enemies Unite Sizzle - Awesome stuff !

118 posts in this topic

It will make a billion dollars and every kid leaving the theater will have a smile on his/her face. I'm glad movie studios don't cater to cynical fanboys over the age of 40.

I guess you're no older than 12 or have that same IQ then? (shrug)

Stand down, soldier! It could make a billion dollars and leave every kid that watches it with a smile on their face - and still not be an incredible movie per the critics or boardies. IM 3 made a billion and the overall consensus on these boards is it was the weakest IM movie of the three.

Will this movie suck? Possibly if you have high fanboy expectations but then don't we always.

Will this movie flop? maybe if they don't pull off the multiple villain thing well and most of the villains are done poorly and the plot/-script is worse than the acting.

Should we expect better? Yes, this is after-all Marvel's flagship character and a reboot of a previously successful franchise despite differing opinions on here.

Are we spoiled? Yes, especially for those among us complaining on here who may have actually seen the very first attempt at a

movie (1977) or the even worse first 2 Captain America Movies
and again in the
(Yes, check them out if you dare!), the ones coming out this year are light years better and we should count ourselves lucky that they ever took another chance after those disasters. Perhaps those young teens and early twenty-somethings on here didn't have to wait too long to see their favorite character on the big screen but most of us have waited our whole lives. And let's not forget those unfortunate fallen Silver Age Spidey and Avengers fans who have already passed on without ever seeing these. Perhaps some among you may feel they're better off considering their fanboy expectations may have been crushed but, I, for one, am glad to have had the chance to finally see them come to life on the big screen.

Will I still go see this movie despite bad reviews? Of course, I'm a comic book lemming and eager to support the industry but I do have my limits. I'll probably wait to hear how the next Iron Man movie goes and maybe just rent it on redbox. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I like Spidey's costume much better in the trailer than in Amazing Spider-man. The yellow eyes, glowing webshooters, and the sharper stylized designs didn't do it for me. The newer costume, with the more classic look with the big white eyes, reminds me of the Ultimate Spider-man look from the comics. With Electro looking the way he does, maybe that's what they were going for.

It will make a billion dollars and every kid leaving the theater will have a smile on his/her face. I'm glad movie studios don't cater to cynical fanboys over the age of 40.

Stand down, soldier! It could make a billion dollars and leave every kid that watches it with a smile on their face - and still not be an incredible movie per the critics or boardies. IM 3 made a billion and the overall consensus on these boards is it was the weakest IM movie of the three.

I thought the consensus on that was a toss up, but it can be hard to say.

The big thing is domestic gross for most of these movies, IM3 did $409 million US on a $200 million budget and ASM did $262 million US with a $230 million budget.

Thats considered a disappointment.

"Know what I love about being Spider-Man? Everything."

That line alone shows - again - the people making these movies just do not have even a basic understanding of the character.

Yeah, the down on his luck nerd is long gone.

He's got the girl of his dreams, her disapproving father is dead and out of the way, his Uncle Ben's killer is an after thought, and being Spider-man is 'cool'. lol

I thought the first one was much better on a second viewing... walked out of the theater unimpressed... liked this trailer and hope its good... however the jamming of multiple villains into it could be problematic if not done right... the new Cap trailer rocks :headbang:

The big thing is domestic gross for most of these movies, IM3 did $409 million US on a $200 million budget and ASM did $262 million US with a $230 million budget.

I don't know where this opinion comes from (see bold) but you are not the first person on the boards to say "domestic gross is more important than foreign". Searching the web, I can find nothing that supports that statement. In fact, what I find is just the opposite. Articles in financial papers like Forbes, Daily Finance and reviews by the Motley Fool writers state that the foreign box office is more important that ever to the studios and that's one of the reasons you see so many films released first in foreign territories. They also mention that the superhero genre - special effects/action heavy and plot thin - export very well

All evidence indicates the movie studios are actively courting these overseas $$$. IM 3's take was damn near double overseas - $807 million. Movies considered domestic flops like Pacific Rim and Wolverine actually end up being profitable with the overseas take.

I'm going to see this movie before I start saying how bad it sucks/is going to suck or whatever else. The only thing this thread is missing is the guy who nearly ends his life because the role of Nick Fury in the first Avengers movie was cast to an African American actor. :screwy:

I don't know where this opinion comes from (see bold) but you are not the first person on the boards to say "domestic gross is more important than foreign". Searching the web, I can find nothing that supports that statement. In fact, what I find is just the opposite. Articles in financial papers like Forbes, Daily Finance and reviews by the Motley Fool writers state that the foreign box office is more important that ever to the studios and that's one of the reasons you see so many films released first in foreign territories. They also mention that the superhero genre - special effects/action heavy and plot thin - export very well

All evidence indicates the movie studios are actively courting these overseas $$$. IM 3's take was damn near double overseas - $807 million. Movies considered domestic flops like Pacific Rim and Wolverine actually end up being profitable with the overseas take.

So if a film does incredibly well overseas but flops in the U.S., does that make it a hit? As with everything else to do with box office, the answer is "it depends." But generally, domestic revenue seems to be be better for studios than overseas revenue, because the studios take a bigger cut of domestic revenue.

According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release — and after expenses, they're lucky if they take in 15 percent of that number.

Domestic revenue just counts for a lot more than overseas revenue, says David Mumpower with Box Office Prophets:

Love the costume and the Spidey humor. There was a really funny scene at the end of the last trailer with Spidey and Gwen as well.

Designs for Electro and Rhino ... not so much.

The you must not like Ultimate Spider-man then.

Love the costume and the Spidey humor. There was a really funny scene at the end of the last trailer with Spidey and Gwen as well.

Designs for Electro and Rhino ... not so much.

The you must not like Ultimate Spider-man then.

Not particularly. I bought them and they were ok but 616 is what i love.