• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Types of Collectors

97 posts in this topic

So, while driving home from San Diego this weekend, I was thinking about my comics, which I do quite a bit. I found myself asking what type of collectors there are (if they can be "labeled) and what type I am.

The way I see it, there are a couple different types;

Completeist- Those who have started a run and must finish it, regardless.

Locksmith's- I coined this term for people who collect keys, no real rhyme or reason, but major issues are the focus

Character centric- collect any any all issues related to a character, cross markets, one shot's whatever

Flipper's/Seller's- self explanatory, buy to sell to buy

Fan's- chaos, they collect what they like, no real focus

Contributor's- collect specific artists, McFarlane art, Kevin Smith story, etc.

Any one else think there are different type's of collectors, what type are you?

Personally, I'm a locksmith/fan as of now, no real rhyme or reason.

Thoughts?

ePeener: buying stuff other people find impressive, in order to impress them. Nerd cachet and adding girth to my epeen are what get me up in the morning.

Since beginning to read these boards a couple of years ago, I have pondered the word "collector" as it relates to comic books. The usage of the word in context is more important than the actual definition, I think. My conclusion is that I'm not a collector, not in the sense of the word that anyone else uses. I am simply a keeper. I buy comics I want, then keep them.

According to your scattered categories, you may call me a fan.

I guess I'm a completeist,locksmith,contributor and character centric. (shrug)

Completist? How many times have I heard you proclaim "quality over quantity" in the past 6 months? hm

I have a few complete runs. One AF 15,ASM #1-current,Ultimate Spider-man,Silver Surfer 1-18 vol.1.Plus many modern runs. (thumbs u

So, while driving home from San Diego this weekend, I was thinking about my comics, which I do quite a bit. I found myself asking what type of collectors there are (if they can be "labeled) and what type I am.

The way I see it, there are a couple different types;

Completeist- Those who have started a run and must finish it, regardless.

Locksmith's- I coined this term for people who collect keys, no real rhyme or reason, but major issues are the focus

Character centric- collect any any all issues related to a character, cross markets, one shot's whatever

Flipper's/Seller's- self explanatory, buy to sell to buy

Fan's- chaos, they collect what they like, no real focus

Contributor's- collect specific artists, McFarlane art, Kevin Smith story, etc.

Any one else think there are different type's of collectors, what type are you?

Personally, I'm a locksmith/fan as of now, no real rhyme or reason.

Thoughts?

I'd say I'm character centric(punisher and cap mostly some wolverine) and I'd also be considered a lock smith. :cool: