• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most significant first 10 issue run

34 posts in this topic

I'm going to go with:

1.) Fantastic Four

2.) Amazing Spider-Man

3.) Avengers

The Fantastic Four set the standard for Marvel. The first ten issues included:

Marvel's first super-hero series (FF1)

Marvel's first super-hero team (FF1)

First Skrulls (FF2)

First SA Subby (FF4)

Marvel's best character (FF5) [Dr. Doom - my personal opinion]

Marvel's first super-villain team-up (FF6)

First time an artist (Jack) & writer (Stan) appeared within a comic book (FF10)

Before the Fantastic Four run, Marvel was mainly writing (very cool) monster & romance stories. FF's popularity paved way for all of the other super heroes to come.

FF 1-10 set the tone for the Marvel Universe in a lot of ways. None of the other early Marvel runs can boast the same amount of "firsts" as the FF run can. The re-intro to Submariner in #4 followed immediately by the fist appearance of Doom in #5 is pretty tough to beat by itself. Throw in Skrulls in #2, a super villain team-up in #6, the Puppet Master in #8, and Stan and Jack on the cover of a really cool story in #10, and it's pretty much game, set, match.

ASM would be the #2 choice, in my opinion, probably followed by the Avengers and X-Men.

FF 1-10 is pretty epic.

The run later on in the series that included 1st Inhumans, 1st Surfer, 1st Galactus and 1st Black Panther (with This Man,This Monster thrown in for good measure) was just as epic.

They didn't call it the World's Greatest Comic Magazine for nothing, (worship)

I'm going to go with:

1.) Fantastic Four

2.) Amazing Spider-Man

First Skrulls (FF2)

First SA Subby (FF4)

Before the Fantastic Four run, Marvel was mainly writing (very cool) monster & romance stories. FF's popularity paved way for all of the other super heroes to come.

I agree!

My next two though would be:

3. Flash 105-114

4. Justice League of America 1-10

You might want to start each of these DC runs with the Showcase and Brave and the Bold appearances respectively though.

:preach:

I'm going to go with:

1.) Fantastic Four

2.) Amazing Spider-Man

3.) Avengers

First Skrulls (FF2)

First SA Subby (FF4)

I've actually never read any Stan/Kirby FF, so i need to do some serious catching up. Would you say his first 30 issues were a better read than 30-60 collecting the Inhuman, Galactus, era ? Nice Sig line by the way.

The FF is going to take this, as it should.

But there is some less than legendary work in the first ten issues. Kirby left a lot of his usual detail and backgrounds out of #1, and many ideas were recycled from his Challengers work. Also, Ben said "Bah!" too much.

That said, the good stuff was amazingly good. The Sub-Mariner issues in particular absolutely transcended anything the medium had produced to that point. The art got great really quickly (check the splash page of part 4 of #7). As far as "significant" goes, you can't beat them.

Amazing Spider-Man had the advantage of Stan Lee having a year and a half of some of the greatest comics ever passing over his desk (and thru his typewriter!), and the penultimate Marvel artist, Steve Ditko. The Marvel Age was at its apex. The first 10 Spideys are all first rate.

I'm going to go with:

1.) Fantastic Four

2.) Amazing Spider-Man

3.) Avengers

First Skrulls (FF2)

First SA Subby (FF4)

I've actually never read any Stan/Kirby FF, so i need to do some serious catching up. Would you say his first 30 issues were a better read than 30-60 collecting the Inhuman, Galactus, era ? Nice Sig line by the way.

The later stuff is better. The whole run is excellent, and I love the first ten especially, but the peak period is near the one you note- #39-60. Especially the issues with Joe Sinnott as inker (starting with issue #44). There are a lot of soft inking jobs in the first three or so years (with some exceptions.) Sinnott was perfect for Kirby.

I'm going to go with:

1.) Fantastic Four

2.) Amazing Spider-Man

3.) Avengers

First Skrulls (FF2)

First SA Subby (FF4)

FF # 30 to 60 were a lot more polished and in depth. FF should win the most significant first ten issue award but FF # 30 to 60 were better comics and a better read but not as ground breaking.

I'm going to go with:

1.) Fantastic Four

2.) Amazing Spider-Man

First Skrulls (FF2)

First SA Subby (FF4)

I agree!

My next two though would be:

3. Flash 105-114

4. Justice League of America 1-10

You might want to start each of these DC runs with the Showcase and Brave and the Bold appearances respectively though.

:preach:

Id agree FF over ASM because Doom is in the first 10 and the Green Goblin is not in ASMs.

That said there are 10 issue runs of B&B and Showcase that are just as if not more significant than the first 10 in FF.

Not going to even begin to argue against the FF and the ASM runs.

As an X-Men fan, I think if the stories found in X-Men 12-16 were actually part of the first 10 issues, the X-Men would have a much stronger showing in their first 10.

Issues 12 and 13 were great in their build up to the Juggernaut breaking his way through the X Mansion's barriers and their ultimate fight against him. And 14-16 with the Sentinels and Bolivar Trask really set up the anti-mutant theme that they carry to this day.

But, yeah, FF 1-10 and ASM 1-10 are awesome.

I'm going to go with:

1.) Fantastic Four

2.) Amazing Spider-Man

3.) Avengers

First Skrulls (FF2)

First SA Subby (FF4)

If you're only planning on reading 10 FF issues, here are the 10 best stories in continuation:

IMG_1822_zpse45639cf.jpg