• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scans - To watermark or not?

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm curious about what you guys and gals think about the watermarking of scans. For some reason, it does annoy me when people copy one of my scans and use it without credit. So, I've been thinking of watermarking my scans. But, I also get kinda annoyed when I see a water mark on someone else's scan. Thoughts? hm

Thanks!

Just remember, if someone copies one of your pedigree book scans and puts it on Matt Nelson's pedigree site it will have your name attached to it. Un-watermarked pics are anonymous on that site. Some people don't want anyone to know they own those books, myself included (but Matt would probably check with the owner before putting up a watermarked scan). However, I understand the eBay concern...but is it really that big a deal...eBay is a buyer beware site and buyers should be checking out the credibility of sellers anyway.

I never watermarked my photos until i started noticing some of my images on facebook profiles and some websites.I was overwhelmed by this,watermarking images individually was a tiresome task,so i searched the web and found out about a tool called Mass Watermark It is a great tool that can be used to process batches of images,but not free$30 Take a look.

Watermarking has significantly reduced theft in my case

I would think if someone used your comic book pic it would be a form of flattery. However, if you were a landscape photographer or something like that and sold your images, then I could see the need to watermark them. But, these are comic book scans...nobody is going to sell them...especially not at the resolution they appear on these boards... lol

I would think if someone used your comic book pic it would be a form of flattery. However, if you were a landscape photographer or something like that and sold your images, then I could see the need to watermark them. But, these are comic book scans...nobody is going to sell them...especially not at the resolution they appear on these boards... lol

Being that most of my books are slabbed I don't worry about watermarks.

Every book I own is scanned, filed and recorded with a unique identifier. One random example...

490e1c96-3bec-4ccf-9f09-97424c33f888_zps781b9024.jpg

The only way to "steal" this image would be to alter or edit out the CGC label,

...which sorta defeats the purpose if it's a scammer using the scan for a fictitious ebay auction.

Brian, I tend to agree with you about the flattery.

As long as the image borrower isn't deceiving anyone or trying to profit from it I'd prefer looking upon this as fair use.

However, submitting borrowed scans to the pedigree database is a special case. Since the submitted scans are tallied and credited to the contributors I think it's more respectful to request the owner's permission before uploading their scans. To me, taking credit for submitting someone else's work just seems inappropriate. My 2c

I am flattered. I've seem people post scans of comics they want and the scan was my scan of a comic I owned. It's not like you can copyright a scan of someone else's cover art.

DG

Interesting thoughts all! Thanks!

I find it interesting that Heritage doesn't appear to watermark any of their scans while Mile High Comics watermarks all of their's.

Do you guys view a dealer who watermarks their images any differently than one who doesn't? hm

I can't believe that some people use scans of someone els's CGC books for their registry. :o

cheers

Interesting thoughts all! Thanks!

I find it interesting that Heritage doesn't appear to watermark any of their scans while Mile High Comics watermarks all of their's.

Do you guys view a dealer who watermarks their images any differently than one who doesn't? hm

I can't believe that some people use scans of someone els's CGC books for their registry. :o

cheers

And aren't all of Mile High's stock images?

Faking's too easy. I photoshopped this in less than 15 min. (I removed the image via edit) Watermarks can help keep your image from being used, but they have to be huge and ugly to get the job done. Consider everything you add to the internet stolen. Always post your images at a lower resolution. Hi res originals are extremely difficult to reproduce and might be your only proof of ownership.

Faking's too easy. I photoshopped this in less than 15 min. Watermarks can help keep your image from being used, but they have to be huge and ugly to get the job done. Consider everything you add to the internet stolen. Always post your images at a lower resolution. Hi res originals are extremely difficult to reproduce and might be your only proof of ownership.

Sorry, I can still tell the label on the left has been manipulated in two distinct ways.

Also, I have documented proof of ownership of the books in my collectibles inventory.

Here are the key facts: If someone is really intent upon committing fraud using a posted scan they can probably mock-up one just as easily from another book or a lower rez scan. Scammers get outted all the time and still, on occasion, folks get burned. That's life, but as a community we do our best to inform potential victims of bogus auctions and scammers. ...Conversely, posting a low resolution or watermarked image in a legit auction risks limiting the interest of potential bidders/buyers.

Of course there's always the possibility for abuse, but the fear of it can cripple any business. My views aren't set in stone on this matter, but I can't see making fair use of scans an issue of contention as long as permission is sought and granted by the owner.

Now here's a little food for thought: CGC might have more issues than I with your misrepresenting the grade via a photoshopped label. Even if I'm convinced that my Church copy of Air Fighters #2 is deserving of 9.2, that is my opinion. I'd never misrepresent CGC's official grade on a visual scan as a matter of ethics.

While I appreciate the point you're trying to make about watermarking, I'm not happy about your affixing my business logo to the manipulated image. You might be exposing yourself to liability for damages in the unlikely event of it's used to perpetrate a fraud. Think about it.

Oh I wouldn't expect you to be fooled by my image, I was just showing how easy the manipulations were. Grade change, new serial number, richer colors, some defects removed, collection note removed, new watermark, it's scary! I agree with your points 100% and removed the image since it had the Mannup watermark. It's an interesting discussion. It makes me want to only buy from people I trust.

Use a watermark if you simply don't want your image to be used unattributed.

Don't use one if you don't really care.

Using watermarks to prevent fraud is simply ineffective.

Maybe you don't want your (high end) book to be tainted by being part of a fraud. OK, maybe.