• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just started reading Gotham Central.

13 posts in this topic

Holy mess, this is awesome. Always loved Brubaker's work, but only just gotten into his superhero stuff with The Winter Soldier; I guess this is a good middle-ground between that and his real-world crime stuff, in that it's dealing with inherently silly subjects like Mr Freeze and a psychopath in a bat suit, but making their world far more grounded and 'realistic' than any other fiction which has attempted to do so with his usual mastery of pulpy dialogue and characters that feel far more human than any other comic book writer I know.

Him and Greg Rucka have done a fabulous job of exploring the idea of a real police force working in a real city that happens to have Batman and theatrical villains in it; the fact that they're often embarrassed and ashamed to have to give their cases over to him when they can't solve them, as well as having Batman as an aspirational figure, is a really interesting angle.

Why this doesn't get talked about alongside the usual suspects like TDKR, Year One and The Killing Joke as one of best stories in the DCU is kind of a travesty. I guess the lack of Batman appearing has something to do with it, but it seems like a seriously underrated series.

Hopefully if the Gotham TV series ever gets off the ground then this may get some more recognition, even if it's not a direct adaptation. Serious, serious quality.

Edited by UmbertoBongo

I am currently reading it and it is quickly become one of my favorite series - great art and very interesting scenarios. The characters are very well developed and I really like the idea of a Batman like a background figure. The focus is on the Gotham cops, not on the Caped Crusader and the villains.

I have find a lot of similarities to the "The Wire" which is my favorite TV series. 

Highly recommended! 
(thumbsu

4 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Are these the guys currently putting out Lazarus?

yes and no. GC was co-written (or they alternated stories/issues) by Brubaker and Rucka.

This is one of my all time favorite series. From start to finish it is a true masterpiece. When I finished reading it I had to own art from it and was lucky enough to be able to purchase the original cover art to #2. It sums up the entire series to me...the focus on the GCPD with the bat in the background. Enjoy the book!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1435604

On 12/31/2017 at 9:08 PM, Bird said:

I loved Gotham Central. The scene where Montoya and Corrigan (not that one) take it outside is one of the best scenes in comics that I have ever read.

I agree. That was such a great moment in the book!