• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is EXCITING!

156 posts in this topic

Well, it's exciting for me anyway.

Back in ancient days when I collected silver, bronze, copper and moderns, it was the airbrush work of Alex Schomburg that first attracted me to the Golden Age. Xela's work on Exciting, Startling and Thrilling struck me as the most incredible comic book art I had ever seen. It was that attraction that led me to purchase my first Golden Age book, a 4.0 copy of Startling Comics 47, in December 2007. It's no secret that my taste for the Golden Age has done nothing but grow in the intervening six years. I got into Fiction House and completed my runs of Jungle, Jumbo, Wings, Firehair, Monster and Longbow, and I'm only a few books away from completing Fight, Rangers, Planet, and Ka'anga. But as much time and energy as I've put into my Fiction House titles, it doesn't compare to what I've put into my three favorite Nedors: Exciting, Startling and Thrilling.

After scouring the Internet, questioning dealers, reviewing past sales, contacting random people, and, most of all, harassing boardies, I've accomplished what, to me, is my biggest accomplishment. With one box from Comiclink on Thursday containing the Mile High copy of Exciting 25 (one of only three graded copies) and another box on Friday containing a beautiful copy of Exciting 33, I've completed my run of Exciting copies!

Of the 69 issues, I have 23 of Edgar's books, 3 Big Apples, 1 Ohio, 1 Okajima, and 1 Crippen. So, following in Ivan's footsteps, I'm going to count down my complete run. This is EXCITING! (For me anyway!)

This one showed up in a large collection someone sent me last December. I couldn't believe it was there since there were no other Nedors or westerns in the box. Sometimes, it is better to be lucky.

Exciting69804x1280_zps882d3cfc.jpg

Back in ancient days when I collected silver, bronze, copper and moderns, it was the airbrush work of Alex Schomburg that first attracted me to the Golden Age. Xela's work on Exciting, Startling and Thrilling struck me as the most incredible comic book art I had ever seen. It was that attraction that led me to purchase my first Golden Age book, a 4.0 copy of Startling Comics 47, in December 2007. It's no secret that my taste for the Golden Age has done nothing but grow in the intervening six years. I got into Fiction House and completed my runs of Jungle, Jumbo, Wings, Firehair, Monster and Longbow, and I'm only a few books away from completing Fight, Rangers, Planet, and Ka'anga. But as much time and energy as I've put into my Fiction House titles, it doesn't compare to what I've put into my three favorite Nedors: Exciting, Startling and Thrilling.

After scouring the Internet, questioning dealers, reviewing past sales, contacting random people, and, most of all, harassing boardies, I've accomplished what, to me, is my biggest accomplishment. With one box from Comiclink on Thursday containing the Mile High copy of Exciting 25 (one of only three graded copies) and another box on Friday containing a beautiful copy of Exciting 33, I've completed my run of Exciting copies!

Of the 69 issues, I have 23 of Edgar's books, 3 Big Apples, 1 Ohio, 1 Okajima, and 1 Crippen. So, following in Ivan's footsteps, I'm going to count down my complete run. This is EXCITING! (For me anyway!)

Wow, such an awesome run! Schomburg (thumbs u Xela! :cloud9:

This one showed up in a large collection someone sent me last December. I couldn't believe it was there since there were no other Nedors or westerns in the box. Sometimes, it is better to be lucky.

Wow, I have never seen this one. (worship)

Wow, I have never seen this one. (worship)

Congrats, Jeff.

69 is a tough book in any sort of grade, let alone having the MH. I'm still looking for one in any type of presentable grade.

Love the collection.

Great job, Jeff!

I have been a fan of Schomburg airbrushed covers for a while, and if I ever start collecting GA, that's where I would start. I have FFs and Thanos appearances to attend to first, though :blush:

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I'm still pretty amped about getting it done. I took less time between my high school diploma and my Master's degree.

[font:Times New Roman] :applause: Congratulations! (worship)

While a huge fan of Alex's earliest Timely covers I greatly admire the versatility of Xela's post-war airbrush covers and more painterly compositions for SF pulp and digest covers throughout the 50's. Ironically perhaps, it was Schomburg's more detailed ink work on Marvel Mystery and Human Torch which held great sway over my burgeoning interest in GA comics back in the day. After viewing various B&W cover reproductions of his work in Steranko's two volume History of the Comics I was hooked.

Although I'm still much more attuned to his earlier B&W line work, Schomburg's ability to simplify his trademark style through use of airbrush while maintaining strong thematic cover content never ceases to amaze.

An awesome accomplishment Jeff. You should be very proud indeed! [/font] :headbang: