• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is EXCITING!

156 posts in this topic

Did I say all were universal. Oops.

Exciting41_zps2c4af4ab.jpg

Fabulous run!

I wonder if October 1945 is the latest cover date for a WW II cover (given that the Japanese surrendered in August)? Anyone know of a November 1945 cover date with a WW II cover? hm

Fabulous run!

I wonder if October 1945 is the latest cover date for a WW II cover (given that the Japanese surrendered in August)? Anyone know of a November 1945 cover date with a WW II cover? hm

Thrilling #51 has a Dec. 1945 cover date.

Fabulous run!

Good one. Interesting that Thrilling 50 has what seems to be an end of war cover. I guess they were moving out completed work even if by the time the Dec issue was printed they -- and their readers -- knew the war was over. Probably true of other books, I guess. Could there be a Jan 1946 WW II cover?

Fabulous run!

Good one. Interesting that Thrilling 50 has what seems to be an end of war cover. I guess they were moving out completed work even if by the time the Dec issue was printed they -- and their readers -- knew the war was over. Probably true of other books, I guess. Could there be a Jan 1946 WW II cover?

In July '45 most of America assumed we were gearing up for an invasion of Japan, and the war would last for several more months at least, so I would expect that there was a bit of excess inventory to go through when Japan surrendered in August. The returning vet cover for #50 is clearly in reaction to the war with Germany ending, as the G.I. has a Nazi helmet trophy on his backpack, and may well have been drawn by Schomburg prior to the end of the war with Japan.

Fabulous run!

In July '45 most of America assumed we were gearing up for an invasion of Japan, and the war would last for several more months at least, so I would expect that there was a bit of excess inventory to go through when Japan surrendered in August. The returning vet cover for #50 is clearly in reaction to the war with Germany ending, as the G.I. has a Nazi helmet trophy on his backpack, and may well have been drawn by Schomburg prior to the end of the war with Japan.

Good point. I remember my father talking about the low morale of some units, such as his, that had fought in Europe when they were shipped back to the U.S. to prepare for the invasion of Japan. And the jubilation when the invasion proved unnecessary.

But I better stop derailing Cheetah's excellent thread!

Fabulous run!

Good point. I remember my father talking about the low morale of some units, such as his, that had fought in Europe when they were shipped back to the U.S. to prepare for the invasion of Japan. And the jubilation when the invasion proved unnecessary.

But I better stop derailing Cheetah's excellent thread!

Derail away. If you can't talk about comics in a comic thread, where can you.

Jeff, which of the war covers in this run do you consider to be the toughest in high grade?

There are so many tough ones, I don't think I could pick. 27 is tough because people love the cover. 33 was the last war cover for me to get even though it has a number of graded copies. 38 is still my lowest graded war cover. Are there any easy ones?

Jeff, which of the war covers in this run do you consider to be the toughest in high grade?

There are so many tough ones, I don't think I could pick. 27 is tough because people love the cover. 33 was the last war cover for me to get even though it has a number of graded copies. 38 is still my lowest graded war cover. Are there any easy ones?

I'd say #37 is the toughest war cover. Your 7.5 is my old copy, highest graded, with only 4 unrestored copies graded. Very tough book.