• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy smokes-doesn't the bidding seem high for this trimmed restored book?

23 posts in this topic

Movie craziness.

Seller in his tiny description does state the following:

"The winning bidder will receive this super high grade Avengers #57 featuring the 1st appearance of the Silver Age Vision. I am giving this comic a grade of NM 9.4 because it really looks amazing. There is some color touch on the cover and the comic has been trimmed".

It is 'buried' but it is there in the description...

I just can't understand someone bidding $400 without reading the description backwards and forwards....weird, man.

Movie craziness.

Seller in his tiny description does state the following:

"The winning bidder will receive this super high grade Avengers #57 featuring the 1st appearance of the Silver Age Vision. I am giving this comic a grade of NM 9.4 because it really looks amazing. There is some color touch on the cover and the comic has been trimmed".

It is 'buried' but it is there in the description...

+1

Paul Bettany was just confirmed for the role of The Vision for the 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' movie so I think this might have something to do with it.

I wouldn't call that buried. There are only three paragraphs, and two of those are a single sentence. it takes like 20 seconds to read this description. Buried is when there's a giant wall of text and the stuff is hidden in line 72. This seems pretty clear to me.

(shrug)

But I can't imagine why anybody would bid so high given the clear description.

It would not surprise me if a trimmed/color touched book sold for more out of a slab than in a slab. Number 1 because of the psychological effect of the purple label, and 2, people not paying attention to the description and/or unaware of the market effect of these alterations.

An apparent 9.4 (Trimmed) sold in April 2013 for $407. Maybe the same copy as this. Still, the market has moved a lot on this book in that time.

It would not surprise me if a trimmed/color touched book sold for more out of a slab than in a slab. Number 1 because of the psychological effect of the purple label, and 2, people not paying attention to the description and/or unaware of the market effect of these alterations.

An apparent 9.4 (Trimmed) sold in April 2013 for $407. Maybe the same copy as this. Still, the market has moved a lot on this book in that time.

This is a topic worthy of its own thread. hm

there's several fairly nice copies in the $200 range-i'd rather have an unrestored more worn copy because let's face it-if I want it to look nicer then I can restore it but you can't un restore a book...interesting to see what that restored issue will go for....

here's a copy I'd rather have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVENGERS-57-1968-FIRST-VISION-AGE-OF-ULTRON-KEY-ISSUE-/310869064594?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48613d7b92

All things comics sure does look like our buddy bijou baby hm

Yep. Unsettling that they've been at this and profiting for so long... :censored:

Oh yeah...and with the amount of trimmed books they put forth they are most likely doing their own trimming now and for some time... :boo:

I think whoever this is are cracking out both restored and non-restored books and inflating their grades. I can crack out a 9.0 and say it's a 9.4, but by what standards? I can say it's 9.6. According to whom? Prices can double for each .2 (example) and exponentially jump in the higher grades. Everyone assumes CGC and they bid accordingly. Nowhere on their auction do they mention CGC.

Their descriptions on resto books look too precise to not be read off a purple label.

Wasn't this the genesis of CGC and the wild west grading on EBay?

Tell me please this could not possibly have sold for $10,700!! :o:insane::screwy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251416094616?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Either this book got shilled to the MAX or the general idiocy of EBAY bidders is far more staggering than I could hope to comprehend and/or the general IQ of the Ebay bidder (or at least bidders bidding on all_things_comics' books) may not even reach double digits...

WTF??!!

Bid activity for y***y was 66 bids...a bidder with 0% positive feedback and with 92% of their bid activity with this seller...

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=251416094616&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2765

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=251416094616&aid=y***y&eu=&bidtid=1385096881015&view=NONE&ssPageName=PageBidderProfileViewBids_None_ViewLink

I smell a rat...

I forget what sellers can and can't see (it's been a long time since I sold books on ebay)...can the seller see s***s max bid and shove the bid to their number with a shill account?

Also...the shill-shove bids came in at 19:42:02 and 19:42:05/close of auction... hm

my spider sense is tingling like crazy.

but it still means some sucker was willing to pay that much, right?