• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Double" Staples (From Production)

10 posts in this topic

So I recently picked up an early Bronze Age DC that has "double staples" or two pairs of staples -- a total of four staples -- holding the book together. The staples are clearly the same, all aligned at the same place along the spine/centerfold, and clearly are all from the manufacturing process. You can assume there was no post-production stapling taking place. The book otherwise is high grade (assume 9.2 or 9.4).

Has anyone encountered this before? Is the book still blue label (as a double cover would be)? Or is it green label as a manufacturing "defect"? I really don't view it as a defect, but more an anomaly. If blue label, would there be a comment right above the PQ notation?

Thank you for your comments.

I've seen books missing a staple get blue label, even 9.8.

You mean, a book that was meant to have two staples, but was stapled only once, correct?

No, a book that was meant to have two staples, received four staples -- thus "double" staples in the thread title. Two toward the top, and two toward the bottom. Four staples in total. All clearly from the manufacturer.

I've seen "Manufactured with One Staple" noted but I don't recall ever seeing "Manufactured with Extra Staples". I've seen "Extra Staples Added" and of course it garnered a Green Label.

This is helpful.

I guess my question is has anyone seen "Manufactured with Four Staples" ... because extra staples were not "added" post-production to my book.

I've had a book with 4 staples also, they could be seen at the centerfold. There was only one set visible on the single cover. My guess is it had a damaged cover, it was removed and was sent through to get a second cover stapled during production. Sorry this is not exactly like your book but it may give you some direction. It was a blue lable and did not get label note.

You mean, a book that was meant to have two staples, but was stapled only once, correct?

Yes regular 32 page book with two staples. Not exact problem op has but a production staple defect that CGC gave a blue lable and did not down grade.

No, a book that was meant to have two staples, received four staples -- thus "double" staples in the thread title. Two toward the top, and two toward the bottom. Four staples in total. All clearly from the manufacturer.

I was replying to topnotch here. See my reply to your question above.