• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just have to bring this up again

385 posts in this topic

Signatures on books.

At one time it was considered ok to tape a book. To fill in missing ink with crayons, markers.

I believe future collectors will shake their heads in dismay at the signing of books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all. You do not polish up old coins. You do not refinish antique furniture. You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

You leave a collectible ALONE. It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

If you want Stan Lee's signature (why, I don't know-they are as common as dirt)-get him to sign a piece of paper and insert it in the book.

This makes me very very sad.

Because comics have always been considered in the 'book' family there will always be the compulsion to have the creators sign them. This is just book culture and it has been around a lot longer than comics themselves so the habit is one that will likely endure moving forward.

I am NOT a fan of sig series. I understand the authentication of signatures is a boon to many collectible fields were forgeries are rampant and collectors have been ripped off many time.

That said, LEAVE THE :censored: HG PEDIGREE BOOKS ALONE for :censored: sakes. These are OO copies and if the OO wanted to have the :censored: creators sign them then they would have done so. The OO collections didn't :censored: survive in tact for decades so that you could get someone to take a felt :censored: marker or other device and have them scrawl their :censored: names over the cover in hopes that the book is going to worth 10% more than it otherwise would be AS IS, IN HG, with the PEDIGREE DESIGNATION.

This actually pissed me off sooooooo much that I do not buy sig :censored: series books in general and I wish pedigree collectors would draw a line in the sand on this one and NOT purchase sig series Pedigree Books. Especially the big Pedigrees, everyone who gets a sig series done for a Church Book should get 10 lashes or have a year taken of their existence. I think I saw a CURATOR sig series one and almost threw up in my mouth. A :censored::censored: CURATOR!!!!!

The sig can NEVER be undone you :censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. I swear if I see an Okijima Camp book sig series, that person should spend 1 year in a :censored: internment camp and have to write "I will not sig series Pedigree books" on a chalk board for 8 hours a days every day.

LEAVE THE :censored: PEDIGREE BOOKS out of Sig. Series. pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-medium.gifBad-bad-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000609-medium.gif

I think I need to get T-Shirts made.

Western Penn, sucka

IMG00070-20101011-2107.jpg

Ya know I usually don't have time to play key board warrior in general but today I'll make an exception. I tend to notice that sig series books are very rarely HG Silver or HG Key BA. hm

You want to throw ur cahonies out there and impress me with your devotion to the yellow label, well open up your wallet. Go buy the TC Avengers 4 which will run 15-17K and up. Then go and get it of sig series'd by Stan. At that level you better have a buyer that appreciates the signature as much as you do. If the resale is hurt by say 4-5K because of the signature does the appeal go down for the yellow label fanatics. hm

No thanks. I was just hoping this would annoy you, and mission accomplished. I get books SS'd because, for me, there is no greater appreciation of the art form than to have a nice copy of a book that I enjoy, handled and signed by the guy that created it. Call me crazy, but that is far more important to me than whether it is a Western Penn or a Winnipeg.

Clearly the ePeen thing is really what is important to you. How hilarious that the underlying "cost" of the comic is of tantamount importance to you. You certainly enjoy posting in absolutes. Much of what you say is unassailable, and most SS devotees agree wholeheartedly. But painting all Pedigrees with the same brush makes you sound like a foolish shoe-banging grandpa, stooping to pick up his fallen dentures while yelling for those damn kids to get off your yard.

What do I own, sonny? A bunch of comics signed by their creators. These are my comics, there are many like them, but these are mine. Go find and buy and save all the Pedigrees, Jbud Quixote, and godspeed.

And I was hoping that my comment would annoy you, mission accomplished. Yes the posts are in absolutes, having a Ped SS'd is also an absolute so the commentary was in kind and of course sparked the trench posting polarity to the contrary which may detract from the purpose of the statement I felt to be important - that in order to appreciate a comics as a piece of history one should consider acquisitions in terms of possession and not ownership. We bag our comics, board them box them and strive to preserve them. In that preservation we are seeking to keep a piece of our history, nostalgia in place, however most people fail to ascribe is that history is a shared experience and permeates more than the space in front of an individual nose.

If you feel that the cost is tantamount in my discourse here than I doubt you have read the overwhelming majority of my posts. Cost is a factor in the maturity of a collectibles base, it is a sometimes unfortunate reality and serves as an indicator, an again unfortunate one of the fervor of some people's ability to attain items to appreciate. However if the collectibles base is reliant on the financial pull then sooner or later you have 4 guys in a room with all the shiny baubles and really do not have an appreciation at all.

I happen to think Steranko's signature is one of the best in the hobby, I understand the compulsion to have him sign a copy of his creation. What I take issue with is having the compulsion of the individual overwhelm the potential ability to appreciate a significant copy of the medium in its original state because it was altered in an irreversible manner. Some people disagree, some people agree - history however has not been kind to manipulation and manufacturing of collectibles and seeing it repeat itself in a medium I care about does give me pause to rant about it.

As someone who collects neither pedigrees nor signatures at this time, I don't know who to agree with; you're both making very good points.

That said, I tend to lean towards Sean's point, in the context of a market that, for the sake of profit, has molested and mutilated pedigrees, and even made them vanish from existence. Within that context, I'll take collectors like Sean who do what they do because they love the books.

crushed-crushed-heavy-balcksmith-smiley-emoticon-000581-medium.gif

You lean towards ..... oh the indignation from my Canadian brethren tko-boxing-boxer-athlete-smiley-emoticon-000579-medium.gif

I knew posting what I did in General would have the SS crew out with spears, this discussion in BA and especially SA and GA would obviously have a slightly different audience. I said what I said because I believe that the underpinnings of my argument have the best interest of the preservation of the Hobby at the core. I did not mean to infer that the existence of SS was the death knell of the comic collectibles hobby, I did want to ask people to consider the significance of the Pedigree collections, their possession of elements of those collections and the historical significance for future collectors.

2c

Exit General Stage left. :whee:

Signatures on books.

At one time it was considered ok to tape a book. To fill in missing ink with crayons, markers.

I believe future collectors will shake their heads in dismay at the signing of books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all. You do not polish up old coins. You do not refinish antique furniture. You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

You leave a collectible ALONE. It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

If you want Stan Lee's signature (why, I don't know-they are as common as dirt)-get him to sign a piece of paper and insert it in the book.

Because comics have always been considered in the 'book' family there will always be the compulsion to have the creators sign them. This is just book culture and it has been around a lot longer than comics themselves so the habit is one that will likely endure moving forward.

I am NOT a fan of sig series. I understand the authentication of signatures is a boon to many collectible fields were forgeries are rampant and collectors have been ripped off many time.

That said, LEAVE THE :censored: HG PEDIGREE BOOKS ALONE for :censored: sakes. These are OO copies and if the OO wanted to have the :censored: creators sign them then they would have done so. The OO collections didn't :censored: survive in tact for decades so that you could get someone to take a felt :censored: marker or other device and have them scrawl their :censored: names over the cover in hopes that the book is going to worth 10% more than it otherwise would be AS IS, IN HG, with the PEDIGREE DESIGNATION.

This actually pissed me off sooooooo much that I do not buy sig :censored: series books in general and I wish pedigree collectors would draw a line in the sand on this one and NOT purchase sig series Pedigree Books. Especially the big Pedigrees, everyone who gets a sig series done for a Church Book should get 10 lashes or have a year taken of their existence. I think I saw a CURATOR sig series one and almost threw up in my mouth. A :censored::censored: CURATOR!!!!!

The sig can NEVER be undone you :censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. I swear if I see an Okijima Camp book sig series, that person should spend 1 year in a :censored: internment camp and have to write "I will not sig series Pedigree books" on a chalk board for 8 hours a days every day.

LEAVE THE :censored: PEDIGREE BOOKS out of Sig. Series. pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-medium.gifBad-bad-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000609-medium.gif

Western Penn, sucka

Ya know I usually don't have time to play key board warrior in general but today I'll make an exception. I tend to notice that sig series books are very rarely HG Silver or HG Key BA. hm

You want to throw ur cahonies out there and impress me with your devotion to the yellow label, well open up your wallet. Go buy the TC Avengers 4 which will run 15-17K and up. Then go and get it of sig series'd by Stan. At that level you better have a buyer that appreciates the signature as much as you do. If the resale is hurt by say 4-5K because of the signature does the appeal go down for the yellow label fanatics. hm

No thanks. I was just hoping this would annoy you, and mission accomplished. I get books SS'd because, for me, there is no greater appreciation of the art form than to have a nice copy of a book that I enjoy, handled and signed by the guy that created it. Call me crazy, but that is far more important to me than whether it is a Western Penn or a Winnipeg.

Clearly the ePeen thing is really what is important to you. How hilarious that the underlying "cost" of the comic is of tantamount importance to you. You certainly enjoy posting in absolutes. Much of what you say is unassailable, and most SS devotees agree wholeheartedly. But painting all Pedigrees with the same brush makes you sound like a foolish shoe-banging grandpa, stooping to pick up his fallen dentures while yelling for those damn kids to get off your yard.

What do I own, sonny? A bunch of comics signed by their creators. These are my comics, there are many like them, but these are mine. Go find and buy and save all the Pedigrees, Jbud Quixote, and godspeed.

And I was hoping that my comment would annoy you, mission accomplished. Yes the posts are in absolutes, having a Ped SS'd is also an absolute so the commentary was in kind and of course sparked the trench posting polarity to the contrary which may detract from the purpose of the statement I felt to be important - that in order to appreciate a comics as a piece of history one should consider acquisitions in terms of possession and not ownership. We bag our comics, board them box them and strive to preserve them. In that preservation we are seeking to keep a piece of our history, nostalgia in place, however most people fail to ascribe is that history is a shared experience and permeates more than the space in front of an individual nose.

If you feel that the cost is tantamount in my discourse here than I doubt you have read the overwhelming majority of my posts. Cost is a factor in the maturity of a collectibles base, it is a sometimes unfortunate reality and serves as an indicator, an again unfortunate one of the fervor of some people's ability to attain items to appreciate. However if the collectibles base is reliant on the financial pull then sooner or later you have 4 guys in a room with all the shiny baubles and really do not have an appreciation at all.

I happen to think Steranko's signature is one of the best in the hobby, I understand the compulsion to have him sign a copy of his creation. What I take issue with is having the compulsion of the individual overwhelm the potential ability to appreciate a significant copy of the medium in its original state because it was altered in an irreversible manner. Some people disagree, some people agree - history however has not been kind to manipulation and manufacturing of collectibles and seeing it repeat itself in a medium I care about does give me pause to rant about it.

As someone who collects neither pedigrees nor signatures at this time, I don't know who to agree with; you're both making very good points.

That said, I tend to lean towards Sean's point, in the context of a market that, for the sake of profit, has molested and mutilated pedigrees, and even made them vanish from existence. Within that context, I'll take collectors like Sean who do what they do because they love the books.

crushed-crushed-heavy-balcksmith-smiley-emoticon-000581-medium.gif

You lean towards ..... oh the indignation from my Canadian brethren tko-boxing-boxer-athlete-smiley-emoticon-000579-medium.gif

I knew posting what I did in General would have the SS crew out with spears, this discussion in BA and especially SA and GA would obviously have a slightly different audience. I said what I said because I believe that the underpinnings of my argument have the best interest of the preservation of the Hobby at the core. I did not mean to infer that the existence of SS was the death knell of the comic collectibles hobby, I did want to ask people to consider the significance of the Pedigree collections, their possession of elements of those collections and the historical significance for future collectors.

2c

Exit General Stage left. :whee:

If you're only going to post in CG twice a year, the least you could do is use native smileys. :sumo:

What I take issue with is having the compulsion of the individual overwhelm the potential ability to appreciate a significant copy of the medium in its original state because it was altered in an irreversible manner.

And this is an absolutely understandable position. In fact, I consider the opposite position to be fairly untenable. What I mean by that is that there are a number of books that I would never SS, either because of their provenance or some other reason. There are just too many other copies of everything that I collect available. I also understand that there are a lot of folks who slap signatures (typically Stan Lee) for no other reason than to get another couple hundred bucks out of the Greater Fool.

Realistically, no one is hurt by my Western Penn copy being signed, beautifully, by Jim Steranko. There are hundreds more 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 copies for everyone to enjoy. My back always gets up on this subject, and writing in absolutes makes me even more vitriolic.

I have enjoyed you and your posts for years, and have no desire for you to write me off as an individual_without_enough_empathy, or at least I am hopeful for you not to write me off, even though I am an individual_without_enough_empathy (and also apparently an alien that speaks like Paul Lynde).

No worries Sean we're cool, I appreciate your knowledge and insights into the hobby and the fact that you give greggy :censored: if given the opportunity. I turned 40 this year so the Grandpa comment set me off lol - this denture dropper is off to the beach, Winter swell is up.

Oh if you ever want to part with the Fury 1 PM me - Don Quixote to the rescue, its never too late.... :devil:

What I take issue with is having the compulsion of the individual overwhelm the potential ability to appreciate a significant copy of the medium in its original state because it was altered in an irreversible manner.

And this is an absolutely understandable position. In fact, I consider the opposite position to be fairly untenable. What I mean by that is that there are a number of books that I would never SS, either because of their provenance or some other reason. There are just too many other copies of everything that I collect available. I also understand that there are a lot of folks who slap signatures (typically Stan Lee) for no other reason than to get another couple hundred bucks out of the Greater Fool.

Realistically, no one is hurt by my Western Penn copy being signed, beautifully, by Jim Steranko. There are hundreds more 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 copies for everyone to enjoy. My back always gets up on this subject, and writing in absolutes makes me even more vitriolic.

I have enjoyed you and your posts for years, and have no desire for you to write me off as an individual_without_enough_empathy, or at least I am hopeful for you not to write me off, even though I am an individual_without_enough_empathy (and also apparently an alien that speaks like Paul Lynde).

No worries Sean we're cool, I appreciate your knowledge and insights into the hobby and the fact that you give greggy :censored: if given the opportunity. I turned 40 this year so the Grandpa comment set me off lol - this denture dropper is off to the beach, Winter swell is up.

Oh if you ever want to part with the Fury 1 PM me - Don Quixote to the rescue, its never too late.... :devil:

Resolutions like these are how you know Valentine's Day draws near.

Resolutions like these are how you know Valentine's Day draws near.

Until you sell me your Dave Stevens piece :cloud9: I will always think you are a F@cktard so maybe not so much of a love in just yet. :baiting: Actually spending time in general a bit lately was interesting - someone out of the blue posted a "I need to find comix4fun" can the paternity test be far behind? :kidaround:

Actually I'm not bullish, the Perez Trophy wall piece would do. :cloud9::cloud9:

All kidding aside, getting involved in a CG thread with Chris, Andrew and Sean, its almost like old times for Grandpa here.

I agree! Oh wait....

Erm, to post something a tad substantive...

I see the argument that someone buys a book and can do what they like with it, though personally I generally side with the non-SS folks. I have one SS book, a Strange Tales 167 signed by Steranko, which I'm really happy to have. Otherwise, I don't want an SS, not now at least.

I find the signatures unattractive by and large. I find that they detract from the book. I won't be the only owner of this comic, and expecting someone to like that signature is like expecting to sell a house and someone tell you, "Oh, lovely choice of wallpaper." It's an idiosyncratic preference that ultimately will devalue the book imho and that can make it harder to sell, when that time comes.

But to each his own. I'm not gonna tell folks what to do with their money. Just gonna 'vote' with my own wallet when I don't buy particular books because they've been signed.

If you're only going to post in CG twice a year, the least you could do is use native smileys. :sumo:

I totally reconsider my erratic collecting habits based on the Captains of Industry "Your Collection Sucks Thread" and this is the trolling I get. I mean its not even your best effort. :sumo: This is a comment almost not worthy of greggy ridicule. :makepoint:

I see that your board name became an acronym - about 5 years after FFB's. :baiting: Whenever I see COI all I think is Certificate of Authentic...... darn it I, thought a Pedigree was for sale there for a second.

Hope all is well, :foryou:

Jason

Signatures on books.

Its my Fckng book and I'll get them signed if I want to. Its my goddamm property to do with as I wish. Once the Book leaves the sellers hands and lands in mine its mine to do with as I wish.. Pedigrees mean shiat... they are as common as Leaves on a tree.

Signatures on books.

Western Penn, sucka

Fingh you remind me of Roger from American Dad, in some ways. :foryou: Good stuff.

From Wiki:

"Roger starts out on the series as a sensitive pushover who is often cheated, ridiculed and taken advantage of. Over progressive seasons however, the character has become increasingly depicted as cruel, callous, self-interested, devious, crafty and depraved."

Thanks, dude!

lol

Signatures on books.

Its my Fckng book and I'll get them signed if I want to. Its my goddamm property to do with as I wish. Once the Book leaves the sellers hands and lands in mine its mine to do with as I wish.. Pedigrees mean shiat... they are as common as Leaves on a tree.

:ohnoez:

lol