• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

not a variant thread

15 posts in this topic

But you have to admit it looks like one, even if it's not. Maybe the submitter sent it in with a notation that it was a 30¢ price variant and CGC just use that without checking?

The owner obviously sent it in with other variants, because they are up for sale.

I don't blame the submitter for the possible mistake.

I thought CGC knew what was a variant or not regardless of what the submitter puts on the submission form (shrug)

I've always been curious why Marvel used the round 30 cent tag on a few books from that month. I know of Skull the Slayer #7 and Marvel Super-Heroes #59.

The month before (using cover date) had different 25 cent tags.

One explanation might be that skull was bi-monthly and MSH was seven times per year. The only way I can tie in the Marvel Tales is perhaps because it was a reprint book, the cover was ready early?

Still not a good explanation as there were other August variants that did not have a circle.

Dream on. There are thousands of variants that CGC and 99.999 % of the

comic collectors know nothing about.

but the 30 cent list is 'sort of " small, finite, and only five months, of which September was not one.

The books you are chasing are a much larger animal in scope, and probably very difficult for them to keep up with, or even verify.

It always bothers me when I see people buying these issues as variants...

I remember an auction for MSH 59 a year or two ago that ended going $20 or so...for a midgrade copy! All you had to do was mislead the buyer...

Early on I found a Skull 7 in a box of bronze books. I was excited because I thought it was a variant. I bought it and became disappointed when I found out it was not. I'd put Inhumans 5 and Ka-Zar 16 in this category too, although they, at least, came out during the 30 cent variant months!