• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spraying from Distribuitors for return books.

27 posts in this topic

I can understand production issues, but distribution issues are a bit harder get. Well, it is what it is! Thanks for the info.

I don't agree either, but you have to remember that CGC was designed to maintain the status quo, create profit for its member dealers, and not to lower the net value of existing stock or high-end collections.

So comic dealers (who helped create the CGC modus operandi) with lots of ink-stained books in their inventory didn't want to see their "NM comics" suddenly transformed into F or VF books overnight, and neither did some serious collectors.

:ohnoez:

My comic dealer explained that in older books, the distribuitor would spray them with ink so they could return them.

This is so wrong, it makes me want to vomit :sick:

It makes me unhappy too. Just as slicing off the top third of the cover does.

Even more unhappy is CGC's decision not to figure dist ink into the grade. Quite frankly, it's ugly as hell

My pet peeve is along those same lines - they are selective in the production flaws that deduct from a book - printer's crease may not have an effect, but marvel chipping (which is also production related) will affect a book in a major way.

In both instances, distributor's overspray and production flaws, the end collector has no way of controlling and shouldn't be penalized.

Chipping results in the actual loss of material from the book. I can see why that's graded down, but production defects like creases or inkspray aren't. If I recall correctly, OSPG grading doesn't grade down for production creases either (which I personally really dislike).

I believe it will affect the grade if it is very noticeable on the front and/or back covers.

Nope, I once saw a CGC 9.6 ASM 129 that look like the bottom cover was dipped in blue ink.

Your dealer explained it wrong. If the book was spray painted before it was returned, how would it end up sold?

You're right, but please see "Mile High II" for how returned/remainder books find their way back to dealers and collectors. [/quote

Would someone be so kind as to point out to me where "Mile High II" is?

Tx!

I can understand production issues, but distribution issues are a bit harder get. Well, it is what it is! Thanks for the info.

I don't agree either, but you have to remember that CGC was designed to maintain the status quo, create profit for its member dealers, and not to lower the net value of existing stock or high-end collections.

So comic dealers (who helped create the CGC modus operandi) with lots of ink-stained books in their inventory didn't want to see their "NM comics" suddenly transformed into F or VF books overnight, and neither did some serious collectors.

On the planet I was operating on those weren't NM books before (or at least not better than NM), just like books with bindery tears weren't and books horrendously miscut weren't. But now they are. My old LCS would not make anything better than a VF that had been inked with dripping onto the back/front cover like that Machine Man 10.

Wow! It can get a 9.8?

So it´s pretty much ignored by CGC unless it´s really bad.

I think it's totally ignored as a visual defect and there is no way that distributor ink can get "worse" than some of the CGC 9.6 copies I've seen.

The only reason inked books get lower grades is due to other damage and defects.

What exactly is the logic for this? It´s not part of the production process. They are ink stains that were added weeks/months after the book was printed. I don´t get it.

true, if I sprayed ink on a book, I don't think CGC would look favourably upon it