• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel News from WW Dallas

24 posts in this topic

From Newsarama:

MARVEL'S WW: DALLAS NEWS

Marvel’s panel at WizardWorld Dallas held a few secrets and surprises: from wizardunivere.com and Newsarama’s operatives on the floor then…

New Avengers: already has 18 issues planned out, and for those who aren’t thrilled with the new team and direction, Marvel Publisher offered up Avenegrs: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes by Joe Casey and Scot Kollins.

Speaking of Casey, the writer will hit his format of filling in the blanks again, this time with Fantastic Four: First Family, a miniseries which will pick up after the rocket crashes. The artist’s name on the project was not revealed, though, as Newsarama readers know, Casey has been pimping a certain artist lately…

On the main Fantastic Four, it was announced that Mark Waid and Mike Weiringo will leave the series after the upcoming Galactus storyarc. Editor Andy Schmidt assured attendees that Waid was not fired this time. A new team has already been selected.

Ed Brubaker will write a six issue Books of Doom miniseries which will begin in June, with art by an artist who has never worked with Marvel before. In news closely related to Brubaker, it was announced that Michael Lark has signed a two-year exclusive with Marvel. Check with Newsarama in the coming week to learn what this means for Gotham Central.

As recently revealed at Marvel.com, Amazing Fantasy will return in 2005 as almost a “showcase” style series from Marvel, acting as a start point for new characters and concepts. If successful, as with the recent “Spider-Girl,” characters can then spin off into their own series or projects.

The previously announced Young Avengers will tie in to the Brian Bendis-written House of M in 2005, the fallout of Avengers: Disassembled.

A Weapon X miniseries is planned for 2005, written by Frank Tieri.

Adam Warren and Rick Mays team for the formerly rumored Live Wires in 2005.

Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev will leave Daredevil in December of 2005.

Frank Cho’s Shanna the She Devil is slated to launch in February of 2005.

Salvador Larocca will be on a Spider-Man project or title in 2005.

Thor will return in the summer of 2005. She-Hulk will end with issue #12, and relaunch with a Runaways-style marketing push.

Nick Fury will get his own series in late 2005.

In the Ultimate Universe, the third part of the Warren Ellis trilogy will se print in August.

Ultimate Iron Man will launch in 2005 with Andy Kubert as artist. Buckley hinted at Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card in regards to the title, which lead to parallel lines of speculation, as to whether Card himself will write the series, or if the series will somehow be related to Card’s premise in his novel series.

Adam Kubert will return to Ultimate Fantastic Four, while Warren Ellis will remain on the title through a portion of '05.

She-Hulk will end with issue #12, and relaunch with a Runaways-style marketing push.

thumbsup2.gif Way to go Marvel! Mess with the only new series that is worth a damn. frustrated.gifscrewy.gif

What the hell is a runaways style marketting push?

Is anybody actually making decisions at Marvel? Have they hired a monkey to throw darts at a dart board with ideas pasted on it that were created by a room full of a thousand monkees sitting a thousand typewriters.

"It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times!"

frustrated.gif

In the Ultimate Universe, the third part of the Warren Ellis trilogy will see print in August.

What trilogoy are they talking about? I haven't read any Marvel Comics in months.

Ultimate Iron Man will launch in 2005 with Andy Kubert as artist. Buckley hinted at Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card in regards to the title, which lead to parallel lines of speculation, as to whether Card himself will write the series, or if the series will somehow be related to Card’s premise in his novel series.

I'll pick this up for my son. But seriously, how cool would it be if Card really was writing this.

In the Ultimate Universe, the third part of the Warren Ellis trilogy will see print in August.

What trilogoy are they talking about? I haven't read any Marvel Comics in months.

Utlimate Nightmare, Ultimate Secret and whatever the third book is...

Is anybody actually making decisions at Marvel? Have they hired a monkey to throw darts at a dart board with ideas pasted on it that were created by a room full of a thousand monkees sitting a thousand typewriters.

frustrated.gif

I think it is more that the decisions at Marvel are becoming increasingly market-driven, (i.e., show me the $$$) to the exclusion of anything else. Buckley is a bean counter, and when a bean counter is in charge then anything outside of profit (potential or real) is not a concern.

You can see this permiating many of the decisions in this announcement: the 2 other FF titles are doing well if not better than the flagship title, so Waid is out. She-hulk is critically loved but isn't selling, so relaunch and try to promote better. More Ultimate titles are sure sellers. Etc, etc, etc.

Even moving Bendis off Daredevil can be tied to the slow erosion of sales on the title - time to refresh. The key will be who they replace him with.

...when a bean counter is in charge then anything outside of profit (potential or real) is not a concern.

This is a very good point and one I had not considered. Managing from the balance sheet can have a big influence on how things are done. From a consumer perspective it is very frustrating.

....moving Bendis off Daredevil....The key will be who they replace him with.

I agree. As long as they replace Bendis and Maleev with good creators I will stick to it. DD is one of the best books out there, and I just hate to see it fall into the hands of someone less capable who will decrease the quality of the book. I will give whomever inherits the book a few months, but if it does not maintain the quality I will take my $2.99 elsewhere.

Even moving Bendis off Daredevil can be tied to the slow erosion of sales on the title - time to refresh. The key will be who they replace him with.

I guess we should know if it's Bendis' decision or if it's Marvel's. IF it's Marvel's and they don't have Frank Miller lined up to follow him then this is IDIOTIC as it will do nothing but KILL sales. For every one person I've seen complain about Bendis on DD I've seen ten who love the work he's done.

Runaways was a great book, and it didn't sell well. She-Hulk is a great book and it isn't selling well. If a "Runaways-style marketing push" means that they aren't cancelling the book for good, then I'm satisfied with that. They aren't messing with She-Hulk just to mess with it, they are doing whatever they can to make it a profitable book to publish.

frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gif "Stupid monkey!"

I guess we should know if it's Bendis' decision or if it's Marvel's. IF it's Marvel's and they don't have Frank Miller lined up to follow him then this is IDIOTIC as it will do nothing but KILL sales. For every one person I've seen complain about Bendis on DD I've seen ten who love the work he's done.

Couldn't it even be remotely possible the title could be good after Bendis leaves? It not like Bendis has been the only one, outside of Miller, who's written Daredevil stories worth a damn. Ann Nocenti comes immediately to mind...

Jim

Couldn't it even be remotely possible the title could be good after Bendis leaves? It not like Bendis has been the only one, outside of Miller, who's written Daredevil stories worth a damn. Ann Nocenti comes immediately to mind...

Ann Nocenti followed Miller after a gap of 60 so-so issues (Miller's own second run being the exception.) After that, for my money, it took another decade before they got it really right again with Bendis/Maleev. So personally, I don't have high hopes.

I also can't imagine many combos of likely people that will be able to generate enough buzz to follow Bendis/Maleev. Something like Brubaker/Michael Lark would work for me but I can't imagine the sales numbers going anywhere but down unless they pull off something really significant in terms of the team that follows 893crossfingers-thumb.gif.

As much as people around here rail against him, Bendis is a top 'name' talent.

I just realized I'm sort of talking about two things.

From the creative/ entertainment end- Yes, obviously some really talented team could follow Bendis/Maleev. As a reader I hope that's the case.

From the numbers side- I do think any team will have a hard time keeping the numbers up following this phenomenal run unless Marvel pulls a really big rabbit out of their hat. I personally can't imagine many even 'fantasy' teams that would make this change positive in terms of buzz.