• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men Quandary

15 posts in this topic

I am wanting to put together the holy trinity of X-Men Books (which to me is X-Men 1, GSXM #1 and X-Men 94). I have a nice copy of X-Men 94 CGC 9.0 with white pages lined up locally that I am thinking of picking up, but for about $300-400 more I could get a nice low grade copy 1.8 - 2.0 of X-Men 1. Not sure what to do, any thoughts on where to start?

I would like to think I will eventually get all 3, but am afraid by the time I roll around to getting a copy of X-Men 1 that I may be priced out ... on the other hand buying a nice local copy of the X-Men 94 in 9.0 with white pages does not come around all the time.

I hear what you are saying. While none of them are rare books - the X-Men 1 is certainly the rarest of the bunch.

Also, part of me feels X-Men 94 is the least significant of the bunch and should probably be bought last - thoughts?

I'm with everyone else, get the #1 first. Then GSXM, then XM94, in my opinion. :)

+1. Comparatively, x-men 1 is much scarcer than either of the other two. My guess is that for every x-men 1, there are 10 or more GSXMs and XM94s. In high grades the CGC census certainly supports that hypothesis. And likely, collectors aren't slabbing mid- and low-grade GSXMs and XM94s because it's not worth the cost.

Excellent - I think I have convinced myself to bite the bullet and buy the X-Men 1 before I am priced out.

I see there is somewhat of a price compression between the CGC 1.8 - 2.5 range, so obviously I should try to get the highest grade possible - at the same time I think in low grades you should buy the one that presents the best. What are people's thoughts on this - buy the book that presents better in a lower grade or buy the higher grade (if within a reasonable price comparison)?

I'm a believer in buying the one that looks the best. I suppose that is the same thing as the oft cited forum mantra, "buy the book, not the grade."

I agree 100%. The best example of this that I have is my FF4:

IMG_1846_zpsb444705e.jpg

Even though CGC graded it as a 3.5, it presents very well. I would much rather own a 3.5 that looks sharp then an ugly 4.0

I would try and get a copy of the #1 first. Always best to get the biggest key first.
I'm sure a lot of us learned this the hard way. If you wait until you can afford the one you think you can't afford, when you can finally afford it, you can't afford it again because it's gone up in price.

I would try and get a copy of the #1 first. Always best to get the biggest key first.
I'm sure a lot of us learned this the hard way. If you wait until you can afford the one you think you can't afford, when you can finally afford it, you can't afford it again because it's gone up in price.

Most people don't follow through on their plans to win the lottery. Better planning is needed. :sumo: