• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck cutting prices....Believe it when I see it.

107 posts in this topic

I'm not comparing the two, only noting that Chuck isn't the only comic shop to change their business practices. The days of dealing with an uninformed public are over.

I have not bought from Chuck in years. I literally just checked out from MCS's auction, where I dropped about $1500.

+1

Perhaps, but there are still lots of the uninformed public out there.

I'm not comparing the two, only noting that Chuck isn't the only comic shop to change their business practices. The days of dealing with an uninformed public are over.

I have not bought from Chuck in years. I literally just checked out from MCS's auction, where I dropped about $1500.

+1

There are a lot of members of the uniformed public in here.

I remember when I first got back into the hobby and had no idea where to find comic books, one of the first things that popped into my mind were those old MH ads.

I went to their website and ordered a few books. They were even "on Sale". :facepalm:

I ended up keeping the BA ad CA books I ordered. I returned the SA book for a refund due to overgrading. I was blacklisted at that point and haven't tried to order anything else.

Didn't take long to figure out their business model and figure out there are a lot better places to shop. I do understand that for some (the international guys), that it can be a good place. I doubt many people go to Chuck for HG vintage stuff, unless it is that first time "don't know any better" shopper.

One employee of Mile High Comics told me how deliberate this all is. “It has been the practice of MHC to artificially raise prices listed on our website, to about double market value, and then to have “codeword sales” that apply a fifty, sixty, or sixty-five percent discount off of those prices. The end result being that, when the discount was applied, the actual price paid by the customer ended up being close to, or just a little less, than market value.”

:facepalm:

One employee of Mile High Comics told me how deliberate this all is. “It has been the practice of MHC to artificially raise prices listed on our website, to about double market value, and then to have “codeword sales” that apply a fifty, sixty, or sixty-five percent discount off of those prices. The end result being that, when the discount was applied, the actual price paid by the customer ended up being close to, or just a little less, than market value.”

The only thing to facepalm about this is the bolded part.

The rest of it is about as fresh as the news of the Titanic.

A big thanks to Chuck for regulating the market all these years by overpricing his already overgraded comics. God forbid he "flood the market".

Exactly! See? He cares about the industry. God forbid supply outweighed demand. Those books you cant afford? They might become affordable!

The only thing to facepalm about this is the bolded part.

The rest of it is about as fresh as the news of the Titanic.

That is the face palm reason. But they have been doing this for years upon years.

Remember when Chuck was selling his own price guide by market category (Marvel, DC, Independents)? I'm not sure those are still around, but may be wrong.

+1

There are a lot of members of the uniformed public in here.

So true

I love the example in the story. JLA #31 lists in overstreet #42 as $28 in 4.0. GPA says the last 3.5 sold for $9 last year. With the sale code and his new lower prices you can get an over graded 3.5 for $29! How can we not be all over this?

Exactly.

Even if Chuckles brings the prices down to, say, somewhere near the atmosphere of planet Earth, you would still have to deal with his...let's say - shaky - grading.

Well, there was a time when his prices were not tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY. I can remember buying some stuff at reasonable prices. Of course, the grading has always been a crapshoot, regardless of price.

I buy mid grade readers all the time from mycomicshop. I might do the same from Mile High, but not until prices get one hell of a lot lower. Business lost for him

Well, there was a time when his prices were not tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY. I can remember buying some stuff at reasonable prices. Of course, the grading has always been a crapshoot, regardless of price.

I remember those days.

Chuck would have specials where the more you purchased of a book in his back issues, the lower the prices. I had forgotten about those sales until now.

"I am given the example that Justice League of America (1960) #31, in VG lists on Mile High Comics for $103. Tomorrow, that price will be dropped to $58 (which is closer to where Comic Book Realm lists its value at, in that grade).

When the 50% codeword is applied to that new price, on Friday, the ending price, from Mile High, will be right around $29. And this kind of thing will be happening across the board."

I just checked... I have 2 VG copies of this issue in my sale boxes (and my 4.0 really is a 4.0). Guide is $26, and we have them priced at $15.

And they still haven't sold.

Don't see them being a hot item at $103 or $58 OR $26.

I don't believe I'll ever be interested in Mile High regardless of how they adjust their business model, taking only a few seconds at most for me to recall Chuck's attitude toward the hurricane victims a while back.

Do you guys think this was advertisement with statements like this?

If it isn't, it's an incredible tale of truth-telling. The codeword and overpricing schemes have been talked about for years here. It takes a lot of courage to unfurl the rug to reveal the truth, and even more guts to try to spin that into a positive.

I checked all the pre-Code ECs they had, and even with the 50% off deal, they were still at least 150% of guide, and he only had really poor grades...

The format of the website alone keeps me away, but I still don't expect prices to get realistic as the article suggests...