• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck cutting prices....Believe it when I see it.

107 posts in this topic

I've heard of MHC and am vaguely familiar with it, very vaguely. I'd like to know what the general consensus is of this guy?

Majority dislike him? love him? Hate him? Hate what he does? Whats the deal.

The only thing he ever did was find a load of comics in a Colorado basement,even then he ripped the guy off. :tonofbricks:

+ 10000000

Why did Lone Star close their shops and become a web only company?

Times change. Adapt or go the way of the Dodo.

With digital comics and trade paperback much more popular then ever why would this surprise anyone?

The comic book boom is over.

You mean those digital sales which are levelling off and those trade paperback sales that are declining? Oh, and comic book sales increasing? :baiting:

Most comic books that you buy today for $3.99 at your LCS will be found at that same LCS a few months later in their dollar boxes. :sick:

Most modern slabbed CGC are a losing proposition after Ebay,Paypal,Shipping and CGC fees. :o

Other then a bunch of keys do to Hollywood movies we will find the comic book market boom is over.

In my opinion that`s a good thing, as most comic books should be read to be enjoyed. Digital comics are read, as well as trade paperbacks. Nobody is bagging and boarding digital comics or worried how they can squeeze that trade paperback into a 9.6 to a 9.8.

Enjoy those digital comic books on your iPAD or enjoy reading your latest tpb!

:cloud9:

I've heard of MHC and am vaguely familiar with it, very vaguely. I'd like to know what the general consensus is of this guy?

The only thing he ever did was find a load of comics in a Colorado basement,even then he ripped the guy off. :tonofbricks:

+1

+1

+2

-slym

With digital comics and trade paperback much more popular then ever why would this surprise anyone?

You mean those digital sales which are levelling off and those trade paperback sales that are declining? Oh, and comic book sales increasing? :baiting:

Most comic books that you buy today for $3.99 at your LCS will be found at that same LCS a few months later in their dollar boxes. :sick:

Most modern slabbed CGC are a losing proposition after Ebay,Paypal,Shipping and CGC fees. :o

Other then a bunch of keys do to Hollywood movies we will find the comic book market boom is over.

In my opinion that`s a good thing, as most comic books should be read to be enjoyed. Digital comics are read, as well as trade paperbacks. Nobody is bagging and boarding digital comics or worried how they can squeeze that trade paperback into a 9.6 to a 9.8.

what boom? The 90's? Besides a little independent flipper gold rush and some movie speculations the comic raw market has been pretty flat for years if anything there has been a little uptick . I respect your opinion I just would like to know what you are referring to as a Boom? Digital is cool if your traveling or don't want to buy a 1000.00 book to read a story but its just not the same as holding the book.

what boom? The 90's? Besides a little independent flipper gold rush and some movie speculations the comic raw market has been pretty flat for years if anything there has been a little uptick . I respect your opinion I just would like to know what you are referring to as a Boom? Digital is cool if your traveling or don't want to buy a 1000.00 book to read a story but its just not the same as holding the book.

Sales use to be somewhat decent on EBay, but now comics are practically given away, unless It`s a key or movie hyped book.

Honestly I haven`t seen sales this slow in a long time on Ebay.

I respect your opinion, so what do you think?

In what way did he 'rip off' the 'guy'? - the 'guy' in this case being Church's family.

I don't have a lot of love for Chuck - to me, he's the greasiest used car huckster archetype in the form of a comic dealer, and yes indeed, he got really lucky with a once in a lifetime find, but I don't recall any details of the transaction that suggest anything more than an offer was made and accepted by a family that wanted rid of Mr Church's clutter. (shrug)

Sales use to be somewhat decent on EBay, but now comics are practically given away, unless It`s a key or movie hyped book.

eBay ... So many issues

-They purged 50,000 plus sellers

-International shipping program has just about stopped a ton of action.

-The new USPS shipping rates and envelopes

-Almost any decent slab is overpriced because between all of the fees and costs .

-there are so many other trusted sites to get books and eBay is not the same.

-Its February/march usually pretty good slow downs.

-Alot of people got burned with the modern speculation last year. They might not admit it but people lost some cash. look at the prices paid on some of the "hot" books and look at there value now. People are gun shy on paying $10.00-$15.00 bucks for a new book that's months old.

There will be something better than eBay someday. Web Store, something without all of the fees and .

I used to use eBay all of the time, now hardly ever ! I have had no issues finding books elsewhere without the hassle and higher prices. MHO.

eBay ... So many issues

-They purged 50,000 plus sellers

-International shipping program has just about stopped a ton of action.

-The new USPS shipping rates and envelopes

-Almost any decent slab is overpriced because between all of the fees and costs .

-there are so many other trusted sites to get books and eBay is not the same.

-Its February/march usually pretty good slow downs.

-Alot of people got burned with the modern speculation last year. They might not admit it but people lost some cash. look at the prices paid on some of the "hot" books and look at there value now. People are gun shy on paying $10.00-$15.00 bucks for a new book that's months old.

There will be something better than eBay someday. Web Store, something without all of the fees and .

I used to use eBay all of the time, now hardly ever ! I have had no issues finding books elsewhere without the hassle and higher prices. MHO.

There is digital comics on Comixology that is better than Ebay. Just read them. Who cares about pressing, bags and boards, plus slabs? When you were young did you want to press, put them in bags and boards or slab them or did you want to read comics? :cloud9:

I cant enjoy a comic unless i can hold it in my hands for some reason. It's like the difference between looking at a coin in my hand and looking at a pic online.

I tried comixology on some tim lane comics-the online comic was about the same price as the actual comic-like 2.99 vs 3.99...

plus a lot of online comics are restored...no resale value...
:roflmao:

The upside is all my online books are gem mints 10.0

I have the sweetest bright cover of Avengers number 1

So clean it looks artificial

that is an upside...signed by stan lee?

plus a lot of online comics are restored...no resale value...
:roflmao:

The upside is all my online books are gem mints 10.0

I have the sweetest bright cover of Avengers number 1

So clean it looks artificial

that is an upside...signed by stan lee?

You bet, except now its hard to watch my tv shows on the kindle with Stan's autograph across the screen :eek:

Anyone who is still paying list price for new comics is doing their wallet a disservice. Online distributors like dcbs discount preorder comics 40-60%. So you're only paying $1.75-1.99 per book, and you can resell them down the road for a buck, which means until new digital releases are a standard $.99, it still makes more sense to buy physical copies.

Anyone who is still paying list price for new comics is doing their wallet a disservice. Online distributors like dcbs discount preorder comics 40-60%. So you're only paying $1.75-1.99 per book, and you can resell them down the road for a buck, which means until new digital releases are a standard $.99, it still makes more sense to buy physical copies.

Unless you only buy a couple of titles each month.

All the time, labor, supplies, and expenses associated with selling may not be worth it. But still, I'd rather have the floppy instead of digital images.