• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck cutting prices....Believe it when I see it.

107 posts in this topic

Well, there was a time when his prices were not tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY. I can remember buying some stuff at reasonable prices. Of course, the grading has always been a crapshoot, regardless of price.

I remember those days.

The only time I ever ordered something from him was back when the NM price was listed, and it was at least close to "guide price," but the ads all claimed books for that price would range in condition from F to NM.

So yeah, he has been selling F books at NM prices for about as long as I have been alive.

Did I ever tell my story of the X-Men #109 I got from MHC that had a popped staple? Of course, I paid NM price for it...

:lol:

-slym (is in the "never again" camp)

"I am given the example that Justice League of America (1960) #31, in VG lists on Mile High Comics for $103. Tomorrow, that price will be dropped to $58 (which is closer to where Comic Book Realm lists its value at, in that grade).

When the 50% codeword is applied to that new price, on Friday, the ending price, from Mile High, will be right around $29. And this kind of thing will be happening across the board."

I just checked... I have 2 VG copies of this issue in my sale boxes (and my 4.0 really is a 4.0). Guide is $26, and we have them priced at $15.

And they still haven't sold.

Don't see them being a hot item at $103 or $58 OR $26.

Yeah, Chuck's still not dealing with the reality of the actual market.

Same kind of situation with checking the price of it on eBay.

Last two that actually sold were from Feb. 10 (a best offer accepted that was less than $9.99!) and Feb. 4th ($11.47).

Lone Star has a VG+ for $37.50

So what Chuck is actually thinking is, if he can get his prices more inline with Lone Star (who he's lost a ton of business to), then he can maybe get some of that business back.

Unfortunately for him, Lone Star's business model is more than just pricing (which is on the high side for some things), and he's a long ways from being where they are in terms of website, grading, buying product, etc.

A big thanks to Chuck for regulating the market all these years by overpricing his already overgraded comics. God forbid he "flood the market".

Exactly! See? He cares about the industry. God forbid supply outweighed demand. Those books you cant afford? They might become affordable!

If you were around after his MH2 purchase, you'd understand just how much he could have destroyed then market. Back then, back issue sales were a major part of shops incomes and had Chuck gone for a quick profit by offering the books at 3x his purchase price, many stores and dealers would have floundered.What would the back issue market haves done if he released the 100,000 Tales of Suspense all at once?

I used to buy from them when they first went on the web. They would have an across the board price cut on books, and then sometimes you would get the 60% off code word and the price was decent and 90% of the time the grading was decent too.

The other great thing was in those early days he didn't have high prices on CGC books, so once you took 60% off it was a good deal. Then he raised his prices to stupid levels on his regular books and to super-stupid prices on his CGC books. He has since lowered his prices on CGC down to just stupid again, but the code words don't apply to graded books anymore, so I have no reason to buy from them anymore.

I don't believe I'll ever be interested in Mile High regardless of how they adjust their business model, taking only a few seconds at most for me to recall Chuck's attitude toward the hurricane victims a while back.

That was when I stopped ordering completely.

I could still find bargains on his site, or buy multiple copies of some cheap Copper Age book hoping to find a 9.8 to submit...

But once he tried to drum up sympathy for himself to get sales in the wake of that disaster.... That was it.

Unfortunately, in this hobby, even the most retched of sellers will still get business from some people, if he has the right books.

Ugh.

My favourite MHC moment is immediately after the Mound CIty auction, where Chuck claimed that as a result of said auction, he needed to raise his slab prices, as the market obviously had moved past where his price points were.

That was the impetus for me to unsubscribe to his newsletter and I haven't been to his site since. Demonstrating an unconscionable, purposeful misrepresentation of the slab market in order to attempt to fleece uninformed buyers is not conducive to the warm fuzzies

Just checked a couple books I was interested in, still WAY over priced. If they did adjusted prices they need to adjust some more. lol

Even with the 50% discount they are twice what I can buy them for elsewhere

Just checked a couple books I was interested in, still WAY over priced. If they did adjusted prices they need to adjust some more. lol

That is Chuckle's business model!

-slym

So I love this. ASM #5 VG. MHC wants $1,350 before codeword ($675 afterwords) and it is sight unseen and no description so god only knows what you are going to get. Newkadia (which I am not really a fan of but just for illustrative purposes) has a VG+ which I can see a FC scan of priced at $516.13 before codeword ($367.27 shipped after their codeword) I mean wow, I really would like to know why bleeding cool ran that story. Did MHC pay for it?

That is Chuckle's business model!

-slym

And he does a damn fine job of doing that. I think he makes such grand announcements to drive lookers to his site.Looks like he succeeds each time. And you know some will spend some money when they check out his site. All he needs is just a few suckers that get sucked in by his hype. He certainly knows how to get plenty of free publicity and stay in the public's eye.

So I love this. ASM #5 VG. MHC wants $1,350 before codeword ($675 afterwords) and it is sight unseen and no description so god only knows what you are going to get. Newkadia (which I am not really a fan of but just for illustrative purposes) has a VG+ which I can see a FC scan of priced at $516.13 before codeword ($367.27 shipped after their codeword) I mean wow, I really would like to know why bleeding cool ran that story. Did MHC pay for it?

*taps the tip of my nose repeatedly*

-slym

BANNED from MHC. All of you.

BANNED.

(We should make Banned at Mile High Comics T-Shirts.)

That would be awesome.

And then get about 50 of us at SDCC to one at a time walk by his booth every 60 seconds....

count me in for this.

I'd love to see a real interview with this guy and see how he would justify the prices. Or is he still doing us a favor by not flooding the market.

Hearing about people like this is why I have high blood pressure and anger issues.....