• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does CGC guarantee that a book is not restored if it doesn't have a purple label?

hm

What does the "G" in CGC stand for? Does it stand for "guarantee"? If so, what exactly does CGC guarantee? That I paid a lot of money to have a couple strangers look at my comic, then put it in a plastic case? (shrug)

That's it? Wow, I'm a sucka. lol

lol

And then they put this on the back of the slab, " A good faith effort is made to detect restoration, but CGC does not warrant this process or the results."

hm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does CGC guarantee that a book is not restored if it doesn't have a purple label?

hm

What does the "G" in CGC stand for? Does it stand for "guarantee"? If so, what exactly does CGC guarantee? That I paid a lot of money to have a couple strangers look at my comic, then put it in a plastic case? (shrug)

That's it? Wow, I'm a sucka. lol

lol

And the they put this on the back of the slab, " A good faith effort is made to detect restoration, but CGC does not warrant this process or the results."

hm

Nice. :o

And not all colour touch is found with a black light.

Hi Roy,.. Noob here!

I've been reading your input on subjects long before I joined here and always regard your posts with high regard. I am definitely not an experienced or professional grader, and not one trained to spot Resto. Many of us know that a black light will spot some ct, but doesn't a low watt ultraviolet light pick up some ct that the black light could possibly miss?

Just a question to you and others more experienced than I am.

Hi Roy,.. Noob here!

I've been reading your input on subjects long before I joined here and always regard your posts with high regard. I am definitely not an experienced or professional grader, and not one trained to spot Resto. Many of us know that a black light will spot some ct, but doesn't a low watt ultraviolet light pick up some ct that the black light could possibly miss?

Try this. How to spot restoration....?

My question is CAN you send a book in for a resub still in the original slab?

Yes. Front line admin personnel will just remove it from the slab, put it in a Mylar and in it goes for grading. The graders don't see the book when it's in the holder.

If so, and it is CGC that cracks the book and the chain of possession is not broken, then for sure CGC would be 100% "accountable" for the missed resto the first go around right?

The answer would be no.

Read the notice on the back of the slab.

"A good faith effort is made to detect restoration, but CGC does not warrant this process or the results."

Good question.

Yes, and they made that good faith attempt the FIRST go around. Now, when the book comes back to them, in THEIR slab marked Universal but upon a second look, comes back RESTORED they now, in my meager opinion MUST/SHOULD make it right somehow.

They will never be 100% right all the time, I get that. No company will ever be right all the time. But in clear cut circumstances, like them getting a book slabbed and them finding resto on a second look the onus should then be on them to make it right by the customer.

2c

I read through this but now can't find the questions. But I think this is the answer.

Namisgr had an ASM 129 that he purchased off the newsstand. He submitted the book 3-4 times, and the last time it came back PLOD with CT.

I remember this but I don't recall him submitting it 3 - 4 times. I just thought it was his personal raw copy, bought off the stands, and it came back 1st time as PLOD.

Regarding the grading fee, I was told the only fee that can be adjusted is a Walkthru. Years ago, I had a Walkthru PLOD fee adjusted to some store credit. I'm not sure if Dan submitted these as Express or Walkthu.

From the original post:

Im not sure how confident I can be in CGC graded books anymore. I resubbed 2 books for walkthrough grading, and got results today.

Not being a slabbing person, I don't know what any of this means, just thought it seemed to apply.

And not all colour touch is found with a black light.

Hi Roy,.. Noob here!

Hey man, thanks for the nice words. :blush:

I'm not all that experienced compared to say a CGC grader but I do remember Borock telling me that they spot most restoration (including colour touch) with the naked eye and once you learn to exercise that skill it starts to just jump out at you. Like anything the more you do it the better you get at it.

I don't know about which lights catch what. BUTM's link to the "How to spot resto" thread is probably a terrific read for a start. I haven't read it all myself but I have peeked in there.

I read through this but now can't find the questions. But I think this is the answer.

Namisgr had an ASM 129 that he purchased off the newsstand. He submitted the book 3-4 times, and the last time it came back PLOD with CT.

I remember this but I don't recall him submitting it 3 - 4 times. I just thought it was his personal raw copy, bought off the stands, and it came back 1st time as PLOD.

I stand corrected as someone had a link to Namisgr's thread. It was submitted multiple times, the last via Matt. Someone in Namisgr's thread

suggested a possible scenario that had an accidental trimming from the scissors used in deslabbing. Not saying that happened here but if you ever used a scissors in deslabbing, it can get scary close to the book.

I'm not all that experienced compared to say a CGC grader but I do remember Borock telling me that they spot most restoration (including colour touch) with the naked eye and once you learn to exercise that skill it starts to just jump out at you. Like anything the more you do it the better you get at it.

Those who answered phones for CGC are now graders so you probably are

just as good.

just as good.

But he'd never try to sell the same AF 15 to two buyers at once, would he?

just as good.

But he'd never try to sell the same AF 15 to two buyers at once, would he?

:o

thx for correction on black light-i thought it was a panacea. its just an aid, is all. but definitely should be used to catch what it can.

In regards to document examination:

There are several different lights that will work well to look for alterations:

Most commonly used are Near IR (850). The hardest issue with using IR is being able to see the effects of IR. I highly doubt cgc is using an IR source and viewer (such as a Handy Cam).

A red wavelength is also quite commonly used such as 650nm. However in order to effectively look for all sources of document examination the entire UV-NIR spectrum should be used as inks may fluoresce or absorb against the original.

The first time I ever saw a book deslabbed was a dealer at a convention. After getting to the inner well, he pinched the edge and, in one quick motion, ripped it right off. I asked someone at CGC and they confirmed using this technique. Scary as it was, they said it was relatively easy. I did it, albeit, only a couple times.

Years later, when handing off a book to a Matt Nelson associate, they carefully used a scissors on the inner well. Though I don't deslab much, I now use scissors. Just curious, does everyone else use scissors ?

Not only would they probably come back blue labels, they will have a nice big grade bump to boot .

If this could be proven ,it would mean the end of CGC as their principles would be hauled away by the feds. Personally, I don't think this is happening but I was blind-sided by mastronet.

Sorry I quoted the wrong person , so I have edited this post .

I have second hand knowledge of this happening . Not a giant grade bump. But a better grade bump from someone who sends CGC many more submissions . I believe the source regarding this and I wish i could give more details . Its up to each person here whether they believe this to be true or not .

Or as has happened here before . If people want to try this out for themselves and share the results .

But I think we all know a book submitted 5 different times can get 5 different grades each time .