• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

I've read most of this thread, and find the different standards we hold dealers to than CGC stark. I bought an Action 252 raw a while back from Superworld. Subbed it about a month later, and it came back PLOD with glue on the spine. Ted refunded me instantly due to Superworld's undetected resto policy.

Yet we give CGC a pass if they either miss resto or notate it when none exists. Interesting.

I've read most of this thread, and find the different standards we hold dealers to than CGC stark. I bought an Action 252 raw a while back from Superworld. Subbed it about a month later, and it came back PLOD with glue on the spine. Ted refunded me instantly due to Superworld's undetected resto policy.

Yet we give CGC a pass if they either miss resto or notate it when none exists. Interesting.

Dealers are held to a higher standard while the CGC is, well, the only standard.

Dealers are held to a higher standard while the CGC is, well, the only standard.

You can always use those other guys.

I wonder if the OP will be… hm

the restoration is obviously so miniscule that even professional graders didn't see it the first time around. Yet instead of a 10% or 20% value docking as might logically be expected, in today's marketplace these books may lose as much as 90% of their value.

Even with EP or EA, SA will never get 90%

In the case of the OP's books, it'd most likely be SP

Fine. I was "radically" off in my assessment. Recent averages (Avengers #1):

7.0 = $5000

7.0 SP = $1800

Value drop = 64%

Hmmmm ! hm

:gossip: it's a 6.0, not a 7.0

Date Listed: 11/8/2013 9:25:53 AM EST

Should I pull out other examples ?

I meant that books in general can lose as much as 90%... however, it is my mistake since I said "these books" instead of "books". Regardless... the point is that color-touch so small it gets missed by professionals can result in thousands of dollars in price-difference on major books.

That is not CGC's fault. That is the fault of a hyper-sensitive marketplace caring more about a book's marketable potential than its actual quality and eye-appeal. Mustard stain... -$200. Pinpoint ink to hide spine blemish... -$1000.

...... It has become quite McCarthyistic in fervor. It always makes me chuckle a little when I hear people fuming about how much they hate a proceedure that they can't even SEE without someone else to show them. People ostracize the new direction towards the separation of work by conservation and restoration.... but it's the right thing to do. Like my friend Carlton will say, " It's too much like right.... " GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Dan's one of my favorite people.... I'm real sorry he got drilled..... and any irreverent humor on my part is in NO way directed at him.... or CGC, who deserve medals for putting up with us.

:foryou:

Im not sure how confident I can be in CGC graded books anymore. I resubbed 2 books for walkthrough grading, and got results today.

Both books were Universal Blue labels

Journey into Mystery CGC 6.0 - book was killer, and I thought it was much better. Came back a 7.0

Avengers 1 CGC 7.0 - book looked nice, but once it was cracked, regret set in as it was not as nice as the assigned grade. Came back a 6.0

Both books came back RESTORED.

How does that happen?? The Avengers has CT, and the JIM is top cover trimmed!!

That is unacceptable. If its in a slab as unrestored, regardless of when its graded, we as buyers, or collectors should feel confident that the book is unrestored.

I called and asked them to please look them over again. They said they would, but they obviously didn't because they were marked "shipped" within 1/2 hr or so

So sorry Dan. :(

This has happened to me a couple times. Once when subbing a big key book for a friend. Cracked from a blue, resubbed and came back purple. I've also got a JIM 91 right now in a PlOD that I cracked out of a blue label and it came back Purple. It seems to happen a lot. The other thing I seem to see a lot is covers going out attached and coming back detached.

So CGC got better at resto (trimming) detection ... how is that bad ? (shrug)

How would you feel if one of your hi grade books you paid top dollar for turned out to have resto on it??

I would feel like I lost a gamble. Did you check the old labels numbers against the lists that CGC has supplied of books that have possibly been trimmed? This is crucial. And I do feel bad about you getting the hose, but I also believe you have had these threads before. You already know the CPR game is dangerous.

I didn't know this information was available.

Lets clear a few things up...

As I stated earlier in this thread, I did have this happen once before, a Batman went from Blue to Purple. It was implied that GA are held to different grading standard. So Ive only had 1 thread, not thread"s". Ive had quite a few books drop in grade without complaining here on the Boards, because I do know the risks involved.

I DONT press. You wont be able to find anyone who has ever pressed a book for me, other than the 2 books I explained in this thread! (which I disclosed at the time of sale) So I play the CR game - NOT CPR

I've never tried to hide the fact from anyone that I try and find books that look undergraded, and re-sub them in hopes of a grade bump to make money. But that's NOT what this thread is about. Its about the consistency of CGC's grading. Which is quite disappointing in these books.

If I buy an F-150 and it says 4X4 on the side, I expect it to be a 4X4. Would your attitude be "That's what you get for buying a FORD"?

For whatever reason, most of your posts in this thread seem to have a little bit of attitude toward me. How about we just stick to the subject?

I don't think it's enough for CGC to wash there hands of your misfortune. I would imagine most people would crack out a slab before a resubmit. Is that alone all they need to avoid any responsibility for a drastic re-grading? Personally, I think they should be more proactive particularly for higher profile comics.

I DONT press. You wont be able to find anyone who has ever pressed a book for me, other than the 2 books I explained in this thread! (which I disclosed at the time of sale) So I play the CR game - NOT CPR

I think Dan's statement about CR vs CPR should be considered by others involved in the CPR game. Perhaps the pressing part does not matter as much as everyone thought and the usual grade bumps are simply a reflection of an easing in CGC grading. Think about how much money and time Dan is saving by eliminating the pressing part.

How much would fees have to go up. To have a CGC graded (and restoration checked) book, guaranteed for that slabs life, not to be restored? Or CGC pays the difference. Sort of like "restoration insurance".

Ten bucks per slab?

Could a third party provide restoration insurance for CGC slabbed books? :idea:

Can all forms of restoration be checked for through a sealed slab? Including trimming?

How much would fees have to go up. To have a CGC graded (and restoration checked) book, guaranteed for that slabs life, not to be restored? Or CGC pays the difference. Sort of like "restoration insurance".

Ten bucks per slab?

Could a third party provide restoration insurance for CGC slabbed books? :idea:

Can all forms of restoration be checked for through a sealed slab? Including trimming?

No.

Ding ding.

The other thing I seem to see a lot is covers going out attached and coming back detached.

That happened to me recently on a pedigree GA book.

how dos this happen?????????????// Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The other thing I seem to see a lot is covers going out attached and coming back detached.

The corner piece on my recent ASM 14 submission came off. CGC said it was floating in the bag when it arrived.

The corner piece on my recent ASM 14 submission came off. CGC said it was floating in the bag when it arrived.

well you would have died of shock if they said 'sorry we mishandled and tore off corner-we'll reimburse or replace'-so that was nice of them to think of your well-being.