• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriously, the Final, Final Schomburg Rank-Order Poll

40 posts in this topic

I voted quickly before I could change my mind.

So how will final ranking be decided, based on points per place?

Good question.

I'll present the results in a number of ways, but will fashion it after the AP poll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Poll

That is, I'll assign points to each cover. Let's say you chose All Select 1 as your number 1 pick and MM40 as your 2nd pick, etc. AS 1 would receive 11 points from you, MM40 would receive 10 points and so forth until your last pick would receive only 1 point.

I'll sum the points for each cover across all raters. The cover with the highest total points would be in the top position; the cover with the 2nd most points in the 2nd position, etc. Also, like the AP poll, I would note how many number 1 votes were cast per cover. Typically the team with the highest points also receives the most number one votes but not always; controversy ensues.

Finally, I'll create a vote distribution chart for each cover. By doing so, board members can see the exact rank breakdown per cover.

-Vision75

Voted. I love MM 40 & 44 because of the grand scale of what's going on. MM 5 isn't in the same class IMO.

I'm with Primetime on this one. I'm a big fan of the pulpy covers, particularly MM5 and Daring Mystery1. Apparently, though, your opinion is more aligned with the majority of Boardies given neither one made the Top-10 cut. (thumbs u

Those two would be in my top five.

All Select #1 would not be in my top ten (or even close).

I do like the Marvel Mystery covers ranked but like Sartre think they are over hyped.

But then Thrilling #38 would make my top ten, and I doubt many would agree.

Good question.

I'll present the results in a number of ways, but will fashion it after the AP poll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Poll

That is, I'll assign points to each cover. Let's say you chose All Select 1 as your number 1 pick and MM40 as your 2nd pick, etc. AS 1 would receive 11 points from you, MM40 would receive 10 points and so forth until your last pick would receive only 1 point.

I'll sum the points for each cover across all raters. The cover with the highest total points would be in the top position; the cover with the 2nd most points in the 2nd position, etc. Also, like the AP poll, I would note how many number 1 votes were cast per cover. Typically the team with the highest points also receives the most number one votes but not always; controversy ensues.

Finally, I'll create a vote distribution chart for each cover. By doing so, board members can see the exact rank breakdown per cover.

-Vision75

This method ( Borda count) is widely used to rank preferences, but I would add a tie-breaker formula in which the cover with the greatest number of highest placed votes wins the position. If you're concerned that the cover with the most top votes might not win, then you can always add an extra point for #1 position votes, which would lessen the chances. Thanks for all your work.

Ditto. Thanks for sharing. I'll be checking out murals like never before in the hopes of finding a Schomburg. My first clue will be if there's a woman in bondage or a hooded evil-doer somewhere in the background :D

Ditto. Thanks for sharing. I'll be checking out murals like never before in the hopes of finding a Schomburg. My first clue will be if there's a woman in bondage or a hooded evil-doer somewhere in the background :D

I'm pretty sure some of those fish were Nazi's.

Good question.

-Vision75

This method ( Borda count) is widely used to rank preferences, but I would add a tie-breaker formula in which the cover with the greatest number of highest placed votes wins the position. If you're concerned that the cover with the most top votes might not win, then you can always add an extra point for #1 position votes, which would lessen the chances. Thanks for all your work.

I'll do that - use the most #1 rankings - as the tie breaker for the top position if such a conundrum occurs. Good suggestion. And, it's always better to specify methodology a priori lest I be considered a statistician of the damn liar variety!