• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A sloppy looking CGC VF/NM?

48 posts in this topic

Even more to the point it could be a 9.0 with defects that don't appeal to you verses a 9.0 that might have defects that are OK with you. In the 9.0 range in the SA (CGC does grade on a curve) books can have a wide range of varying defects - but one that still appeals to you thumbsup2.gif

So true. Different types of defects can still add up to the same structural grade.

I bet!, but I don't have power point frown.gif

Download a free viewer. Trust me. devil.gif Jim sent you an email telling you where to find one. That is the best email I've gotten all month.

Yea no doubt...

Hey I'm glad I finally got someone on my side on this thread,

I was begining to doubt my own grading skills there for awhile. crazy.gif

But one thing that is a trip from book to book in comparision -

does CGC ever tell you if there is a serious flag inside the book that would

never be know from just looking at the cover?

Like, if there was a ripped page inside - Would that be in the Qualified arena or what?

Yea no doubt...

Like, if there was a ripped page inside - Would that be in the Qualified arena or what?

Since they are both old label slabbs, normally any tear or other hidden defect would be noted on the label. I don't know to what degree they use to do this to but I have seen 9.2's that indicate a " tear in a centerfold, name written on 3rd page, etc.

Yea no doubt...

Since they are both old label slabbs, normally any tear or other hidden defect would be noted on the label. I don't know to what degree they use to do this to but I have seen 9.2's that indicate a " tear in a centerfold, name written on 3rd page, etc.

Cool, I just haven't seen too many with side notes.

Thanks fro the info.

NF3

Jimm94 took care of it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

yay.gifhail.gifcloud9.gif

Yikes! I opened it at work and couldn't figure how to turn it off! Bombarded by baldness, I finally had to hit the power button before someone walked into my office! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gifcloud9.gif

It's the label comments...

And why do you think the label comments of this kind no longer appear on the label. It must be to better inform the buying public ya thats it exactly. Sorry but you just brought out my #1 CGC Christo_pull_hair.gif The policy and the REASONING - it is to me what SCS is to FFB. Christo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

It's the label comments...

Okay, now I'm completely confused... Shouldn't this book be in a Green holder? I mean, it's a HG book except for one fairly significant defect, right?

Or is CGC implying that this would be a 9.6 except for that tear at the cfold?

Or does CGC not "penalize" a book for a 1" tear in the interior?

I guess a lack of consistency is consistency of a sort...? Christo_pull_hair.gif

(Here's where Steve B. rides up on the white horse, patiently explains why this book got the grade it did, then gallops off. I tell ya, he could save a ton on oats and water if CGC would just disclose it's grading criteria...)