• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, paqart said:

No. For most comics, the direct and newsstand pricing is the same.

Actually, starting in the mid-90s, publishers (especially Marvel) began to fiddle with their pricing, resulting in thousands of issues that have Direct/Newsstand editions that are not priced identically.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Actually, starting in the mid-90s, publishers (especially Marvel) began to fiddle with their pricing, resulting in thousands of issues that have Direct/Newsstand editions that are not priced identically.

Was this mostly image comics then?

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Note difference in meaning between "many" and "most". Are you saying that a majority of direct era comics have a price difference? Or do you simply want to reiterate what I said, that many of them have price differences?

Basically the comments i made in this thread were because an OP mentioned the ASM 606 that I posted in the modern forum...

I was attempting to give the reasoning "it was different and collectible to me"

Which proves more than useless imo in the copper forum, as I know less about it...

I tried to make THAT clear, as modern I still only know a little too.

I've only staryed and I've started with newsstands that have a different price than direct. 

1 they're noted on the label

2 they help my registry

3 I don't know enough about other newsstands and variations to find them priced comfortably in the wild..

Hope that helps! To clarify. ...

No worries 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Was this mostly image comics then?

I doubt it. Marvel and DC were doing this with many more titles than Image. The Spawn issues are getting attention because of their extreme rarity, possibly making it seem as if it happened more often. They simply didn't publish enough comics to compete with Marvel and DC when it came to this.

4 minutes ago, paqart said:

I doubt it. Marvel and DC were doing this with many more titles than Image. The Spawn issues are getting attention because of their extreme rarity, possibly making it seem as if it happened more often. They simply didn't publish enough comics to compete with Marvel and DC when it came to this.

Well clarification would be nice on how a price variant is the same as a direct and newsstand copy that is priced the same. Just because it is also a newsstand?

Does lazyboy mean with #606 that the direct and newsstand are priced different, and that since there is no newsstand copy that is priced the same as a direct, that my original post doesn't make sense?

I don't know where I got off base lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well clarification would be nice on how a price variant is the same as a direct and newsstand copy that is priced the same. Just because it is also a newsstand?

Does lazyboy mean with #606 that the direct and newsstand are priced different, and that since there is no newsstand copy that is priced the same as a direct, that my original post doesn't make sense?

Lol I had to edit this post, as lazyboy has given me questions, but there confusing as to what point he's try in to tell me

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well clarification would be nice on how a price variant is the same as a direct and newsstand copy that is priced the same. 

Take a look at this list for some CGC recognized price variants, LazyBoy and RMA will not like seeing the list here because they distrust the guy who put it together, but it is easy enough to check, so you should be totally safe: https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/list-of-cgc-recognized-newsstand-variants/. According to the list, ASM 606 newsstand edition is a $3.99 price variant, likely meaning that the direct version is $2.99.

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Why I collect them is the price variant, which is what it is called on the cgc label.

Well, it's actually not.

differentwording.jpg.55a52cccd09a539270fed28c88075c55.jpg

I'm not going to tell you how to collect, but I will say that it seems odd that you would be interested in ASM 611, 613, and 631 but not 612 and 635 (for example).

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, it's actually not.

I'm not going to tell you how to collect, but I will say that it seems odd that you would be interested in ASM 611, 613, and 631 but not 612 and 635 (for example).

^^

This is what got lost in translation and thank you, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. That and I may have gotten sloppy trying to make it short since we're in the copper age and I was talking about a modern...

Thank You :)

And honestly I see the point now about newsstand #611 and others, for some odd reason the price change flips a switch for me. Even keys like Tec 880 and power girl 27 (term key loosely) that are a "Newsstand" don't flip the same switch for me...

@Lazyboy maybe it WAS my understanding of them :foryou:

So thanks again for clarifying  ;)

7 minutes ago, paqart said:

According to the list, ASM 606 newsstand edition is a $3.99 price variant, likely meaning that the direct version is $2.99.

Correct.

CGC also recognizes the $3.99 Newsstand Edition for ASM 650. Direct price? $3.99... oops. doh!

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, it's actually not.

One could argue CGC has made an error labelling them this way. "$3.99 Newsstand edition" is correct but the price makes it look like there are other newsstand editions that aren't $3.99. The rule is, don't use a modifier unless it clarifies by making the term more specific. As it is, "$3.99" does not modify "newsstand edition" because all newsstand editions of this issue are the same price. Putting "$3.99" in the description only makes sense to differentiate it from another version of the comic that has a different price. In that case, a different "version" could also be described as a "variant." The reason that calling it simply a "newsstand edition" isn't sufficient is that not all newsstand editions have a different price from the direct edition. I think a more accurate and clearer way to label this would be: "Newsstand edition, $3.99 price variant".

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Correct.

CGC also recognizes the $3.99 Newsstand Edition for ASM 650. Direct price? $3.99... oops. doh!

Except, we're talking about 606. For ASM 606, the direct edition is $2.99. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-606-J-Scott-Campbell-Cover-Black-Cat-Kiss-VF-NM-Marvel/202803757541?hash=item2f380bc1e5:g:rcYAAOSwEOxdq-4I"Oops" back to you, FacePalm Master.

Edited by paqart

22 minutes ago, paqart said:
27 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Note difference in meaning between "many" and "most". Are you saying that a majority of direct era comics have a price difference? Or do you simply want to reiterate what I said, that many of them have price differences?

What I'm saying is that, once they started doing it, many years after the beginning of separate Direct editions, there are a lot more issues that have price differences between the two editions than most people think.

2 minutes ago, paqart said:

Except, we're talking about 606. For ASM 606, the direct edition is $2.99. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-606-J-Scott-Campbell-Cover-Black-Cat-Kiss-VF-NM-Marvel/202803757541?hash=item2f380bc1e5:g:rcYAAOSwEOxdq-4I"Oops back to you, FacePalm Master.

Yes, that is the part to which I replied "correct."

CGC's messing up ASM 650 was a separate point related to your linking to a list of "CGC Recognized Newsstand Variants" on that awful site.

5 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

So people do care? Is the rarity level as high though? Personally, I think the 30/35 cent variants are much neater than a barcode but hey...one collector's opinion.

I sit corrected and appreciate the knowledge (I havent purchased a "new comic" ever so this info is helpful)

Yes and no. I agree I love those 30/35 cent variants because they are really fun to look for and several have less then 20 copies known so they are really tough to find.
In a few years maybe we will know with newsstands. I suspect many are very hard to find, but I doubt they will approach the level of even the most common of the 30/35
variants for a all types of reasons started with availability.