• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Journey into Mystery

20 posts in this topic

Since I have decided unless I want a grade 3 or less Ill never buy a JIM 83. But I am thinking the GRR reprint in a 9.6 or higher can suffice. Is this the wrong way to think? (Am I settling for a cheap stripper lookalike lapdance rather than try for a date with the real scarlet johanson)

I can get that and maybe an 85 1st loki and an 89 AWESOME KIRBY COVER in 5 condition for that price and have enought left over to get a 112 and upgrade my 118.

Trust me If I had 10K extra just for comics....then Yes 83 is it. But is it a great investment or has it had its run.

I have about 15-20K I will spend on comics in 2014.....Journey 83 is my dream but at the current prices.....I cant do it. Or should I try at a show vs ebay/heratage/comicpride/ other sites.

I have a decent collection now valued about 25K Most are conditions 7.5 or higher (MANY KEYS).

I'd say the real question to ask is, is JIM 83 enjoying the bump of multiple movies, and if so will prices go back down once this era is over? If I had your budget and the 83 was a priority, I would gladly spend $10K or more on it. I'll take quality over quantity every time.

I'd say the real question to ask is, is JIM 83 enjoying the bump of multiple movies, and if so will prices go back down once this era is over? If I had your budget and the 83 was a priority, I would gladly spend $10K or more on it. I'll take quality over quantity every time.

I don't think so. It's popular book rather it's a movie or not. I think that ship sailed with the big marvel characters. Books like TOS 39, Jim 83, DD1, af 15, cap 1 are already big books with out any movie hype.

Great advice on all of it.

Now Are shows better for High end buying or are the auctions. I can ebay a CGC reputable seller. Maybe make an offer if he has other items I like.

Here is my go after list for 2014

JIM 83

FF 48

IM 55

FF 5

PLUS ANY KEY JIM, FF/AVENGERS

My 2013 accoplishments

IF 14 9.0

HULK 181 7.0

UNCANNY 266 9.8

SILVER SURFER 4 (ALL TIME FAVORITE COVER) got a 7.5 was hoping for an 8 might be a re slab or re try)

ALL KEY BRONZE AGE XMEN/THOR

Also have about 20 sketch covers from key artists or great ones (Starlin,Perez, Siminson,trimpe, Lim, etc..)

Ok so lets say 5K on JIM 83. Lowest Grade to go for...6?

Why not get something lower that presents well for the grade?

Congratulations Mmanick on getting your JIM #83. I know you were trying to figure out the next big key for yourself. :golfclap:

I agree that getting a lower grade copy that presents well is the best option. You don't need a $10k book to find a nice presentable copy. I am certain one can be found for much less.

Ok so lets say 5K on JIM 83. Lowest Grade to go for...6?

Why not get something lower that presents well for the grade?

Congratulations Mmanick on getting your JIM #83. I know you were trying to figure out the next big key for yourself. :golfclap:

I agree that getting a lower grade copy that presents well is the best option. You don't need a $10k book to find a nice presentable copy. I am certain one can be found for much less.

Thanks, Jim 83 won me over. It's attainable in low grade and a classic. Your correct as well I agree you don't need 10k to find a nice copy in silver keys.

To beat the dead horse further, get a decent 2.0 or 2.5 copy of JIM 83. A reprint is not the same thing; it's a reprint. A copy WILL turn up, but be prepared to strike quickly: low grade copies of Marvel keys are always in high demand because they are still relatively affordable.