• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billy Wright collection

20 posts in this topic

Thinking of picking up one or two books. Would like to have your input on the collection.

To be honest, from the books I have taken a close look at, not very impressed. :(

Dust shadows, dirty covers etc...

Read that 2011 was a year of loose grading. :eek: Could the BW books have been over-graded ?

Thanks.

They vary in quality. Buy the book, not the label.

Couldn't agree more. There are some beauties, but there are some rough books too. All-in-all it is a great collection regardless of the grades, so don't write it all off. Just look for the books that appeal to you.

i have 3 of 'em, and am very happy with the trio. but some were significantly overgraded in my view; i recall some bad staples that seemingly weren't taken into any kind of account.

Same here. I'm very happy with the four Billy books I snagged, but yes, as a collection BW grading seems to be all over the map from the scans I've seen.

its funny, being a neophyte when i bought my billy wright book from heritage, i ran the gamut of emotions, i was part of a money laundering scheme and i actually won the auction (omg how much did i overpay) to reading up on Billy, loving the charming story behind the man, seeing the book and loving it instantly (the cover is a bit dirty but the overall book looks to be in such great shape) it basically boils down to once i received the book and saw it i loved it, thats good enough for me

I have one. Smash Comics #3. It is CGC 6.5 and I think it is possibly over graded by .5. But what do I know CGC is the professional grading company and I am just a peon.

It is difficult at best, to argue with grading. Unless it is a gross miscalculation of the grade, how does one argue with an opinion? A half point difference is almost indescribable.

I like having one from every pedigree, and it is the highest graded of that issue. From 1939 with off white/white pages. What more could I ask of it?

They vary in quality. Buy the book, not the label.

Couldn't agree more. There are some beauties, but there are some rough books too. All-in-all it is a great collection regardless of the grades, so don't write it all off. Just look for the books that appeal to you.

So true.

The back cover on this book is a disaster, but it presents nicely from the front and even more importantly it has decent paper (this issue seems infamous for poor PQ).

MoreFun11BillyWright.jpg