• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TPBSwap, Website Launch

68 posts in this topic

I won't out who it was, in case he wants to keep it private, but someone (not even a tpbswap.com site member) sent me some funds to cover the cost of an SSL certificate for a year. I am very humbled by the generosity shown on these boards and the kindness of this member.

I'll be looking into implementing an SSL certificate on the TPBSwap.com site. I've temporarily locked out logins on the site while I look into getting this done. Once updated I'll reopen the site and ask all current members to update their passwords.

Guy

I won't out who it was, in case he wants to keep it private, but someone (not even a tpbswap.com site member) sent me some funds to cover the cost of an SSL certificate for a year. I am very humbled by the generosity shown on these boards and the kindness of this member.

I'll be looking into implementing an SSL certificate on the TPBSwap.com site. I've temporarily locked out logins on the site while I look into getting this done. Once updated I'll reopen the site and ask all current members to update their passwords.

Guy

:o

I know these boards are amazing, but wow, I get shown once again what makes them unique. Thank you to the person who donated that to Techie!

Site's been updated, and thanks again for the generous donation to keep things moving along. Hopefully I can pay it forward sometime in the future.

You have done a lot of generous things for people on the boards, I would like to think that you finally had something paid forward to you, that you will pay forward yet again. :)

First, I'm glad you got it sorted out. You seem to provide a valuable service for people and it's nice that they'll be able to continue using it.

sheesh, you're pretty sensitive. It's called a joke. In any event you're probably right, the user credentials aren't using ssl and should be. I don't have the time or funds or desire to put more work into the site so I'll probably take it offline so as to not risk users info being compromised. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I'm not sensitive. I just take security very seriously, both personally and professionally. Your flippant response and seeming ambivalence set me off.

what's the risk?

use your throw-away email address (the one you use for web signups and junk) and a unique password....

at best someone could go in and claim some sweet trades with my credit

at worst someone gets an email address that already gets plenty of spam (just as I intended)

There's little risk for something like this if everyone was informed enough to do as you suggested and understood the risk of passing their data over an insecure line. However, you are the exception, not the rule. Since no instructions were given asking people to use throw away email addresses and unique passwords, the majority of people would have signed up with real email addresses and a shared password. It's up to site owners to protect their users.

In any case, I'm glad it got sorted out. I started with a gentle scolding and only escalated when the response was a joke rather than a plan to fix it. I still believe that the launch of the site without an SSL was careless, but he has made things right now.

If anyone signed up with a password that they use for other accounts, I highly recommend that they change all existing passwords and this time, try making them unique per site.

Great, you made your point, added a great deal of drama, and actually contributed

a few small pieces of postive information. Try doing that more often.

Now hush.