• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TPBSwap, Website Launch

68 posts in this topic

The TPBSwap.com site has been live for just over 2 weeks now and I thought I'd post a little update for anyone that hasn't joined yet, that might care.

So far we've nearly reached 200 total books having been posted on the site, ofcourse a number of those have been requested but there is still a bunch of great stuff up there. I've already gotten 4 books from people personally and I'm looking forward to checking out some other stuff once I'm done with these.

I've made some small refinements to the interface at the suggestion of my guinea pigs helping me test the site.

I've decided to allow the posting of floppy comics, in addition to TPB and Graphic Novel books, under the condition that they are either one shot stories or complete story arcs of sequential issues or mini-series runs. In other words, not just a bunch of random junk comics. If someone posts a mini-series run, such as Wolverine Limited Series (1982) Issues 1-4, it will be considered 1 book for the purposes of earning credits.

I haven't finished or implemented the systems to handle international members yet but I've been working on it.

So yeah, that's my little update. If you haven't joined yet roll up your sleeves and jump in the pool. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

So, say someone had the first 35 issues of Ultimate FF - they could break those up into story arcs and that counts as one TPB?

What about some CA FF? I have a small run after #300 but while there is a backstory running concurrently through the book, most of the stories are self-contained.

I am just curious, it would still be a while before I could actually join in.

:)

-slym

In the case of ultimate ff just break them up the same way they are broken up in the actual tpb versions, which is what, 5 or 6 issues? The CA ff, I don't know, use good judgement.

Edit

Looked it up, ultimate tpbs are 6 issues. So that would be pretty straight forward.

When listing books I've added a new Book Type field, so you can specify if your listing is a TPB, Graphic Novel, Mini-Series, or Comic Issues. When browsing the library you will see this new listing type under the book details.

My definitions of each type are as follows.

The trade paperback option is for books that collect issues from a series, like Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 1, which collects the first 6 issues from the Ultimate Spider-man series. These can be hardcover or softcover and you can always add HC or Hardcover to the book's title if you want to specify, that's what I do.

Graphic novels typically are stand alone stories that aren't part of any sort of ongoing story line, like Batman: The Killing Joke, or a reprinting of a stand alone mini-series story like Watchmen or Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

Mini-Series are comic issues that are stand alone, like Infinity Gauntlet Issues 1-6.

Comic issues are for sequential story arcs and runs of comic book issues, such as The Walking Dead Issues 115-120.

Interesting idea... but what is the actual real world cost to ship one trade paperback?

I always use a USPS flat rate envelope, so it's $5.05. I think you could get under $4.00 if you use a non-priority mail option, but I don't know the exact prices on that.

I've had a number of folks ask to join the site because they wanted to see what was available in the library. I made a quick update to the site to accommodate this. If you aren't a member yet, and as such not logged in, you can now select the "Preview Library" option from the main menu to see the library.

Interesting idea... but what is the actual real world cost to ship one trade paperback?

I always use a USPS flat rate envelope, so it's $5.05. I think you could get under $4.00 if you use a non-priority mail option, but I don't know the exact prices on that.

If it is a thinner trade, you can get it in a bubble-mailer (or plain 9x12 with your own bubblewrap) under 13 ounces. Probably around $3 first class. If it goes over that but stays at/under a pound, Media Mail (which TPBs qualify for, yay!) would still be under $3.50

-slym

If it is a thinner trade, you can get it in a bubble-mailer (or plain 9x12 with your own bubblewrap) under 13 ounces. Probably around $3 first class. If it goes over that but stays at/under a pound, Media Mail (which TPBs qualify for, yay!) would still be under $3.50

-slym

+1. Pretty inexpensive.

:bump:

Just a little bump. I've redesigned the library interface so if you haven't looked at it in a while that has a new look, along with some more searching and sorting features. Lots of books have been added to the library by members since the last posting also.

www.tpbswap.com

User credentials and personal info sent in plain text (tsk)

Makes me worry about the security of user data in your db as well.

PSA to the general public. Don't reuse passwords. Use a different password for each site. You never know how well or poorly your password is being protected on any given site until it is too late.

PSA to site owners. Please purchase SSL certificates and hash+salt passwords.

Sadly no one has clicked that donate link on the bottom of the site, to upgrade to better hosting, adding SSL, or helping offset the several hundred hours I've spent building and updating the site. But if you'd like to be the first your welcome to cover the cost of SSL for a year.

User credentials and personal info sent in plain text (tsk)

Makes me worry about the security of user data in your db as well.

PSA to the general public. Don't reuse passwords. Use a different password for each site. You never know how well or poorly your password is being protected on any given site until it is too late.

PSA to site owners. Please purchase SSL certificates and hash+salt passwords.

Sadly no one has clicked that donate link on the bottom of the site, to upgrade to better hosting, adding SSL, or helping offset the several hundred hours I've spent building and updating the site. But if you'd like to be the first your welcome to cover the cost of SSL for a year.

This response is outrageous. This is not 1995. If you can't properly protect your users, you don't launch a website. Period.

I don't care if you call it a beta, or if are losing money on it, or if it is for the general betterment of humanity. It is your responsibility to protect your users' data. Users can't do it themselves and often don't know any better.

You are asking for an email address and a password to be sent in plain text over the public internet. Every single one of your user logins should be considered compromised.

Do you know how many people use the same password everywhere and don't understand why they shouldn't? I bet over half of your users gave you the password to their primary email account, again in plain text, over the public internet. Do you realize that with access to that email account, every single one of their other online accounts can be found and their passwords reset?

You can spend thousands of dollars worth of your own time to build something, but can't spend one or two hundred of your real dollars to do it right?

If I were in your position, I would just pull down the site until I could buy a cert and then force everyone to reset their passwords once back up.

Every time someone logs in to your site between now and then, more people in the world gain access to their username and password.

sheesh, you're pretty sensitive. It's called a joke. In any event you're probably right, the user credentials aren't using ssl and should be. I don't have the time or funds or desire to put more work into the site so I'll probably take it offline so as to not risk users info being compromised. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Wow. That sucks. That was a fun site that I checked every single day. Thank you Techvoodoo for all of the hard work that you put into it. I will go edit my books now. :sorry:

:cry:

I was JUST talking to Ben about joining! :sorry:

How about just starting a TPBSwap Thread. Everyone has one post listing what TPB, HC, what not they have available for trade. Then trades can be completed via PM. (shrug)

Thoughts?

Btw - your site sounded awesome and I'm sad I never got a chance to check it out! :(

No, a straight up trade will not be as good. This worked on a claim from anyone basis and worked a lot better. I wish this would have been discussed in PM before the weaknesses of the site were blasted out on the thread. Now there is a risk of people trying to use credits before the site goes away and the possibility of those sending books out never getting to use theirs.

what's the risk?

use your throw-away email address (the one you use for web signups and junk) and a unique password....

at best someone could go in and claim some sweet trades with my credit

at worst someone gets an email address that already gets plenty of spam (just as I intended)

what's the risk?

use your throw-away email address (the one you use for web signups and junk) and a unique password....

at best someone could go in and claim some sweet trades with my credit

at worst someone gets an email address that already gets plenty of spam (just as I intended)

+1

Just make en e-mail/password strictly for the site. It'll take 5 minutes. :shrug: