• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TPBSwap, Website Launch

68 posts in this topic

The TPBSwap.com site has been live for just over 2 weeks now and I thought I'd post a little update for anyone that hasn't joined yet, that might care.

So far we've nearly reached 200 total books having been posted on the site, ofcourse a number of those have been requested but there is still a bunch of great stuff up there. I've already gotten 4 books from people personally and I'm looking forward to checking out some other stuff once I'm done with these.

I've made some small refinements to the interface at the suggestion of my guinea pigs helping me test the site.

I've decided to allow the posting of floppy comics, in addition to TPB and Graphic Novel books, under the condition that they are either one shot stories or complete story arcs of sequential issues or mini-series runs. In other words, not just a bunch of random junk comics. If someone posts a mini-series run, such as Wolverine Limited Series (1982) Issues 1-4, it will be considered 1 book for the purposes of earning credits.

I haven't finished or implemented the systems to handle international members yet but I've been working on it.

So yeah, that's my little update. If you haven't joined yet roll up your sleeves and jump in the pool. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

techvoodoo,

I only have a couple trades so I won't be joining the site anytime soon but just wanted to say Great Job on the site. It looks like it will be a huge asset for the community.

Thank you!

Thanks I appreciate it. When you decide you want to try it out give me a shout.

I'm a little confused. (Old age will do that.)

You can list right away, but you can't request until you earn enough credits? I don't really understand the purpose of the credits.

I'm a little confused. (Old age will do that.)

You can list right away, but you can't request until you earn enough credits? I don't really understand the purpose of the credits.

When you sign up you start with 0 credits.

When you post your first 10 books you are granted 2 credits, just for listing them on the site/offering them to other members.

From that point forward the only way to get credits is to mail a book someone has requested from you. You ship a book (and they receive it), you get a credit.

You use your credits to request books from other people.

Credits are the "currency" of the site.

So do you also pay for the trades you request?

No, you see a book you want and you click the "request" link (assuming you have at least 1 credit), and they are notified to send it to you (at their expense). If someone requests one of yours, you get a notification to send it to them (at your expense). The only thing anyone pays for is the cost to ship a book.

No payment of any kind. You ship a book, you get a credit. You take that credit and choose a book you want and they ship it to you. Shipping is paid by the senders.

So do you also pay for the trades you request?

No, you see a book you want and you click the "request" link, and they are notified to send it to you (at their expense). If someone requests one of yours, you get a notification to send it to them (at your expense). The only thing anyone pays for is the cost to ship a book.

So this isn't a pure swap in the sense of 1-for-1. You don't see something that they want and they see something of yours and you both send it to each other...

And you -- as the person sending the trade -- have to pay for shipping? Not the person who requests it?

right, it isn't 2 people exchanging books.

you posts a list of books you have, and are willing to send to other members at their request.

you in turn have access to all the books all the other members have posted.

as you earn credits for sending other people books you can use them to request any book that is currently in the "library", of which we have nearly 200 books currently posted.

yes the person sending the book pays the shipping.

OK -- cool.

Sorry, I don't want you to think I'm ting on your site. I just wanted a little bit of clarification.

I like the site's design. You have embraced the scroll!

OK -- cool.

Sorry, I don't want you to think I'm ting on your site. I just wanted a little bit of clarification.

Hey no problem. I don't mind explaining it at all. So far everyone that's been using it seems to like it quite a bit, and it's pretty easy and straight forward to use.

I don't know what you mean that I've embraced the scroll though, lol.

I work for a digital ad agency and so many of our clients fear when not all the information isn't seen on the page right when you open it up. They say, "People don't scroll!" And we say, "Yes, they do, and here are all the data to back it up!".

Too many clients want to have more pages that are small than fewer pages that you have to scroll to see everything. People are more likely to scroll than they are to click.

I work for a digital ad agency and so many of our clients fear when not all the information isn't seen on the page right when you open it up. They say, "People don't scroll!" And we say, "Yes, they do, and here are all the data to back it up!".

Too many clients want to have more pages that are small than fewer pages that you have to scroll to see everything. People are more likely to scroll than they are to click.

Ah, gotchya. Ya I try to avoid creating a virtual labyrinth of navigation on sites I design. I am at odds with clients on this from time to time but if they're paying the bill I guess I don't really care.

OK -- cool.

Hey no problem. I don't mind explaining it at all. So far everyone that's been using it seems to like it quite a bit, and it's pretty easy and straight forward to use.

"like it quite a bit" is a gross understatement. I love the freaking site and I can't say enough how clean and efficient the site looks. It's smooth, sexy is the word that comes to my mind. Guy has done an amazing job! :hail:

OK -- cool.

"like it quite a bit" is a gross understatement. I love the freaking site and I can't say enough how clean and efficient the site looks. It's smooth, sexy is the word that comes to my mind. Guy has done an amazing job! :hail:

Thanks I appreciate it. Now go tell that to everyone you know, I give a 20% referral on all new work you bring me ;)

This site is absolutely amazing.

I've shipped out some really cool books to people and I've gotten to read some really awesome stuff...FOR FREE!!!

2 volumes of Irredeemable, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol. 1, Peter Panzerfaust Vol. 1, Saga of the Swamp Thing book 1 and this morning I requested Punk Rock Jesus.

Very cool site. I love how you have the incentive to post really cool books that people will want to take, as that's how you get credits.

Also, the site works great for me. Everything about it seems flawless. I prefer using the URL link for the pictures but the Amazon link works really good too.

The TPBSwap.com site has been live for just over 2 weeks now and I thought I'd post a little update for anyone that hasn't joined yet, that might care.

So far we've nearly reached 200 total books having been posted on the site, ofcourse a number of those have been requested but there is still a bunch of great stuff up there. I've already gotten 4 books from people personally and I'm looking forward to checking out some other stuff once I'm done with these.

I've made some small refinements to the interface at the suggestion of my guinea pigs helping me test the site.

I've decided to allow the posting of floppy comics, in addition to TPB and Graphic Novel books, under the condition that they are either one shot stories or complete story arcs of sequential issues or mini-series runs. In other words, not just a bunch of random junk comics. If someone posts a mini-series run, such as Wolverine Limited Series (1982) Issues 1-4, it will be considered 1 book for the purposes of earning credits.

I haven't finished or implemented the systems to handle international members yet but I've been working on it.

So yeah, that's my little update. If you haven't joined yet roll up your sleeves and jump in the pool. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

So, say someone had the first 35 issues of Ultimate FF - they could break those up into story arcs and that counts as one TPB?

What about some CA FF? I have a small run after #300 but while there is a backstory running concurrently through the book, most of the stories are self-contained.

I am just curious, it would still be a while before I could actually join in.

:)

-slym