• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC More Forgiving On Grading (Touch-ups)

12 posts in this topic

I just came across this old golden-age Whiz Comics at Ebay and under the bold letters is states "color touch-up" under the blue Universial label instead of the purple label.I'am not debating the number graded just why the tuoch-up is on a blue label...... foreheadslap.gifsign-rantpost.giffrustrated.gif

WHIZ COMICS #3 CGC 6.5 , Captain Marvel

Can someone point these guys to the old threads, thanks.

Very light touch-up or minor amount of glue on the spine seems to be acceptable for many GA books to get the blue label. CGC's less forgiving with 60's comics, and rightfully so. If a 10 yr old kid dabbed some glue on a comic in the late 40's, is that really what we think of as restoration? I know some might say "yes, restoration is restoration," but I can understand the logic in making a differentiation.

Very light touch-up or minor amount of glue on the spine seems to be acceptable for many GA books to get the blue label. CGC's less forgiving with 60's comics, and rightfully so. If a 10 yr old kid dabbed some glue on a comic in the late 40's, is that really what we think of as restoration? I know some might say "yes, restoration is restoration," but I can understand the logic in making a differentiation.

And what's the difference if it's a 10 year old kid from the 1960s doing exactly the same thing? Why should the results of his actions be judged differently?

CGC is more lenient with G.A. over S.A. due to the thickness and larger size of the books, but dabbed glue is dabbed glue, nonetheless.

Golddust,

I think the difference here is that in the 60s comics began to get hoarded and seen as "collectibles," so the act of preserving a book in the 60's, 70s, etc. with glue or any other means has with it a slightly different rationale. That mentality didn't exist in the golden age of comics, when funnybooks were seen as 100 percent disposable. Ultimately, though, I can't disagree with you, a dab of glue is a dab of glue. But when I purchase a GA book, I'm willing to be more forgiving of a spot of glue due to this difference in mindset amongst 40's and 50's comic readers.

Of course, one can't always be sure that the dab of glue on a GA book wasn't added DURING the 60s... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif