• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sporadic Splitting? Your thoughts and clarification?

8 posts in this topic

Purchased as a 4.0 VG and will most likely return to seller.

Believe it or not the cover is attached.

Yet judging from the separating, would this still qualify as a 4.0 VG?

Also,what is the 'official' technical jargon used to describe something like this?

Sporadic Splitting? Cover splitting throughout binding?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and clarification.

-Michael

ginger-cover.jpg

ginger-cover-1.jpg

Some of the spine splits look to be at least 25 to 40 cm (1" to 1 1/2") in length. I can't imagine getting a grade above 3.0 for this book IMHO!

Some of the other more experienced members will have to voice an opinion here.smiley-gen130.gif

There is no way I'd consider that book a 3.0. The front cover might as well be cleanly separated, as it wouldn't take much to get it there. Basically the spine has become brittle with age, and even movement in shipping can cause further damage.

1.0 - maybe 1.5 if it looks pretty nice otherwise. :sumo:

I had a book that wasn't even this bad, about 50% of the spine was split intermittently, but still held on to the staples. It had an upper midgrade appearance otherwise and I sold it as a 1.5 with fair warning that the spine could possibly become further split in shipping due to it's fragility. Despite by best efforts to pack it so it wouldn't shift in the mylar, the bottom half split through, detaching from the staple. The buyer was still happy with the book for the price because I had sold it with a strict grade.

I had purchased years previous mail order as a VG as well, and probably should have sent it back then, but had gotten it for more like the GD price.

Thanks timern, southerncross & rjpb!

Very helpful.

With your guys' descriptions- I was able to clearly state to the seller why the book was being returned.

Should the seller refuse to refund- I'll let you know.

Otherwise, I think this should end well.

Thanks again!

-Michael