• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the top 10 marvel silver keys?
3 3

187 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2021 at 9:59 PM, innocuous said:

I can't get behind FF5 or JIM85. There are so many great hero first appearances that are higher. ST110 and FF52 would replace on my list.

I have FF48 over 52 on my list. I personally think Silver Surfer is one of the greatest Marvel creations.  52's stock has definitely risen though

On 4/13/2019 at 11:37 PM, c_mkv said:

I don't think I could ring em off 1-11 but could see them in tiers.

Tier1:

FF1

AF15

Hulk1

Tier 2:

Xmen1 (I'd put this in tier 1 except I'd be in the minority)

Jim83

TOS39

Tier3:

ST110

FF48

TTA27

ASM1

FF5

Avengers1

Today I’d go:

1: AF15

2: FF1

3: X1

4: IH1

5: JIM83

6: TOS39

7: ASM1

8: FF5

9: FF48

10: TTA27 

In terms of "importance", I think cultural influence is the way to go, in which case FF and Dr.Doom get shown the front door. Nobody outside of comics much cares about them. :sumo:  And ASM isn't a 1st appearance, go b'bye!

So:

1. AF15
2. X1
3. ToS39
4. IH1
5. JiM83
6. Av1
7. FF52
8. ST110
9. TTA27
10. ToS 52

On 10/12/2021 at 10:09 AM, SuperBird said:

In terms of "importance", I think cultural influence is the way to go, in which case FF and Dr.Doom get shown the front door. Nobody outside of comics much cares about them. :sumo:  And ASM isn't a 1st appearance, go b'bye!

So:

1. AF15
2. X1
3. ToS39
4. IH1
5. JiM83
6. Av1
7. FF52
8. ST110
9. TTA27
10. ToS 52

I like that line of thinking. Yes, ASM #1 is expensive, but I wouldn't have it in the Top 10 most influential.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, SuperBird said:

So:

1. AF15
2. X1
3. ToS39
4. IH1
5. JiM83
6. Av1
7. FF52
8. ST110
9. TTA27
10. ToS 52

I’ll be interested to see how the list changes in two years with all the FF stuff coming

On 10/11/2021 at 10:18 PM, gadzukes said:

Thought I'd see if anything changes on this list at 6.0 instead of 2.0......  LOTS of changes.

-Xmen1 moves from 5 to 2. 

-FF1 drops to 4

-DD1 drops out of the top 10 replaced by TTA 27

1. AF15 $84,000
2. X-Men1 $46,000
3. Hulk1 $35,000
4. FF1 $29,000
5. JiM83 $28,500
6. ASM1 $26,400
7. FF5 $24,600
8. ToS39 $14,900
9. Avengers 1 $12,000
10. TTA27 $8750
...DD1 $7100
...ST110 $7100
...JiM85 $6900
...FF48 $4650
...ASM14 $4200
...X-Men 4 $4100
...Avengers4 $3700

I find it interesting to see that JiM #85 is higher than FF #48. Yes, I know that there was a Loki show on Disney+ recently, and Loki was a main protagonist in the first Avengers movie, but FF #48 was the beginning of the greatest trilogy in the entire Silver Age.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 10/12/2021 at 2:39 PM, Math Teacher said:

I find it interesting to see that JiM #85 is higher than FF #48. Yes, I know that there was a Loki show on Disney+ recently, and Loki was a main protagonist in the first Avengers movie, but FF #48 was the beginning of the greatest trilogy in the entire Silver Age.

reasonable minds can differ.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, Math Teacher said:

I find it interesting that JIM85 is basically the same price as ST110 & DD1 at 6.0.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:09 AM, SuperBird said:

So:

1. AF15
2. X1
3. ToS39
4. IH1
5. JiM83
6. Av1
7. FF52
8. ST110
9. TTA27
10. ToS 52

Doom was one of the main inspirations for Darth Vader.  How many cultural influence points is that worth?

On 2/23/2014 at 8:27 PM, namisgr said:

Fantastic Four #1

Amazing Fantasy #15

Journey Into Mystery #83

Incredible Hulk #1

X-Men #1

Tales of Suspense #39

Strange Tales #110

Avengers #1

Avengers #4

Daredevil #1

honorable mention: Fantastic Four #5, Amazing Spiderman #1

It's useful to see the Marvel mega-keys ranked by sale prices.  But that's population data and a measure of what the collective think.  It's also interesting to consider your most favorite books for whatever reasons, price, importance, love for character, place in the cinematic universe, etc.  

So my list hasn't changed in 7 years.  But that's from the perspective of an old timer, one who doesn't put as much emphasis on market value as historical importance to the development and evolution of Marvel comics that rose them to the top of the heap by the end of the 1960s, especially with the teenage and college age reader base.  Plus, I always loved and appreciated Dr. Strange as a different kind of hero that stimulated a different part of my imagination, using brains, bravery, and singular knowledge of black magic.

Edited by namisgr

On 10/12/2021 at 5:16 PM, namisgr said:

It's useful to see the Marvel mega-keys ranked by sale prices.  But that's population data and a measure of what the collective think.  It's also interesting to consider your most favorite books for whatever reasons, price, importance, love for character, place in the cinematic universe, etc.  

So my list hasn't changed in 7 years.  But that's from the perspective of an old timer, one who doesn't put as much emphasis on market value as historical importance to the development and evolution of Marvel comics that rose them to the top of the heap by the end of the 1960s, especially with the teenage and college age reader base.  Plus, I always loved and appreciated Dr. Strange as a different kind of hero that stimulated a different part of my imagination, using brains, bravery, and singular knowledge of black magic.

Your list is an excellent one, easy to defend.

It seems clear to me that there's pretty broad consensus about what books are in the top 12-15, and the debate is more about the rankings within that agreed-upon elite tier.

On 2/24/2014 at 9:48 AM, jjonahjameson1 said:

The OP posed this question as the Top 10 in terms of Importance/Impact. So, based on that (and not my personal preferences, value, movie hype, etc.) here's my list:

1. AF 15 (hey, 1st Spidey. 'nuff said)

2. ASM 1 (Continuation of the most popular comics character of the last 50 years, 1st appearance of: The Daily Bugle; J Jonah Jameson; John Jameson (later Man-Wolf); 1st appearance of the Chameleon; tied with FF 12 as 1st Silver Age Marvel x-over)

3. FF #1 (1st key silver age Marvel book)

4. X-Men #1 (The Mutant Age begins here, and so does Magneto. Although it would take a while for mutuants to pick up steam, this is where it all started)

5. ToS 39 (The metal age hero and key founding member of the Avengers joins the Marvel universe)

6. Hulk #1 (Monster as the lead title character. Clearly, the Atom Age monster features are bridging the gap towards the Superhero resurgance)

7. JIM 83 (Hark, the G-ds have entered the Silver Age fray. Also, no Thor = no Loki, and No Loki = no Avengers?)

8. FF#5 (1st Dr. Doom is cannot be overemphasized. He is the baddie that has plagued all Marvel heroes and he's also the 1st Marvel villain to command his own series)

9. FF#4 (1st Subby is the bridge that binds GA Marvel to SA Marvel. Mayeb no Captain America in Avengers #4 if it weren't for this book. What's that, Timmy? You didn't know Marvel Comics existed before FF#1?)

10. Avengers #1 (Great showcase for Marvel's heroes, with ever-changing lineup and a good excuse to defrost Captain America and re-introduce him to the Marvel Universe)

Others:

Strange Tales 110 is a dull thud. 4th tier character unable to hold his own title with any great publication frequency. Ditko art was brilliant, and so was Steranko, but let's be honest here and agree the character had no impact.

TTA 27. Aside from creating Ultron, Hank Pym's impact to the Marvel Universe has been what, exactly? Definitely shouldn't be in the Top 10 above the other books in my list.

DD1. bwa ha haa! Oh wait, some of you were serious?

My list from 7 years ago.  Wouldn't change a thing. 

Haven't done this in a while -- and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and lists!  My thinking is on overall importance and influence since the day the book came out...both within the Marvel universe and in the wider culture.

1. AF 15 -- The hottest flame of the Marvel SA conflagration

2. FF 1 -- still the lynchpin of the universe and one of the best ever

3. X-Men 1 -- so many important characters and storylines were spawned by this book

4. Hulk 1 -- underappreciated in its day but a huge player in what makes Marvel Marvel

5. TOS 39 -- the MCU has helped transform this one into more than just another 1st appearance

6. JIM 83 -- almost neck and neck with #5

7. FF 5 -- Dr. Doom's influence, even as a 'mere' villain, looms large

8.FF 48 -- the cosmic awesomeness takes shape with the Surfer and Galactus

9. Avengers 4 -- not sure what the Marvel universe would have looked like without Cap back

10 ASM 1 -- the most important 'first issue' of a series without being a first appearance, which is why it's so low.  The first FF crossover also important.

Honorable Mention:  FF 52, ST 110, FF 4, DD 1, Avengers 1 (rounding out my top 15)

Second Round Honorable Mention:  TTA 27, FF 13, TOS 52, TOS 57, X-Men 4 (top 20)

On 10/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, Drummy said:

Haven't done this in a while -- and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and lists!  My thinking is on overall importance and influence since the day the book came out...both within the Marvel universe and in the wider culture.

1. AF 15 -- The hottest flame of the Marvel SA conflagration

2. FF 1 -- still the lynchpin of the universe and one of the best ever

3. X-Men 1 -- so many important characters and storylines were spawned by this book

4. Hulk 1 -- underappreciated in its day but a huge player in what makes Marvel Marvel

5. TOS 39 -- the MCU has helped transform this one into more than just another 1st appearance

6. JIM 83 -- almost neck and neck with #5

7. FF 5 -- Dr. Doom's influence, even as a 'mere' villain, looms large

8.FF 48 -- the cosmic awesomeness takes shape with the Surfer and Galactus

9. Avengers 4 -- not sure what the Marvel universe would have looked like without Cap back

10 ASM 1 -- the most important 'first issue' of a series without being a first appearance, which is why it's so low.  The first FF crossover also important.

Honorable Mention:  FF 52, ST 110, FF 4, DD 1, Avengers 1 (rounding out my top 15)

Second Round Honorable Mention:  TTA 27, FF 13, TOS 52, TOS 57, X-Men 4 (top 20)

Love this list.