• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Try explaining Gwen Stacy to your kid

18 posts in this topic

My 4 yr old daughter saw the cover to ' amazing spiderman #122' and asked me what had happened to that girl? I was about to say she had an accident, but I just couldn't bear to tell her that spiderman had actually failed to save someone. especially because she worships him at the moment. I ended up telling her that Gwen was asleep and spidey had saved her from the bad guy.... What took me by surprise was how gut wrenching it was for me to tell the white lie, almost as much as the first time I read this book and discovering spidey had failed. Sigh, I'll eventually have to own up one day. Hopefully she'll know by then that no one is perfect, not even spidey. :eyeroll:

Anyone else had similar situations with their kid?

"She betrayed Spider-Man by going to London and sleeping with the Goblin Guy. She had super twins that would one day come to fight Spider-Man, so he had to kill her to stop her from mothering anymore bad storylines."

That's what I would tell her.

show her the books with the gwen stacy clone and she'll be ok. kids think people always 'come back to life' cause thats what happens in movies eg ash ketcham in pokemon.

One of the first thing so many people do is to teach their children how to lie.

If the kid is clever enough to ask the question, I would give them credit and tell them how it is.

One just have to find the right way to explain it.

Just my 2cents

I can't relate, but I would think I would tell them the truth.

Spidey did not account for the momentum with which Gwen fell and did not understand the physics behind it. Therefore when he stopped her fall, he did not account for the sudden loss of energy which put an enormous toll on her body which sadly she could not bear. This in turn drove him to be an even better scientist when he grows up and he eventually learned from this mistake in the future.

Maybe she will want to be a Physicist afterword?

"She betrayed Spider-Man by going to London and sleeping with the Goblin Guy. She had super twins that would one day come to fight Spider-Man, so he had to kill her to stop her from mothering anymore bad storylines."

That's what I would tell her.

[font:Book Antiqua]That never happen. :sumo:

I am still in denial phase...[/font]

:facepalm:

Yeah, maybe the real truth since 4 year olds still have magical thinking.

"Nothing happened to that girl Sweetie, not really, because she's only a make-believe storybook girl. Looks like in this story she fell, Spider-man caught her but she's not waking up. Spider-man is very sad." Maybe suggest she draw her own story with a different outcome.

Wonder how you would explain where kids come from... (when she asks).

Honestly always wondered why this was such a mystery. Before WWII everyone knew, then the world went secret. My daughter (4) said she wishes she had her brothers parts. I told her that she was lucky because she could grow a baby in her belly when she gets older, her brother can't. Just never saw an issue with her knowing that babies, while amazing, are biological. You make it a mystery and it all of a sudden becomes dirty. (shrug)

Now Gwen is a different story.... Her name is Gwen and that gets complicated, I'm lazy, so I avoid that like the plague.

I can't relate, but I would think I would tell them the truth.

Spidey did not account for the momentum with which Gwen fell and did not understand the physics behind it. Therefore when he stopped her fall, he did not account for the sudden loss of energy which put an enormous toll on her body which sadly she could not bear. This in turn drove him to be an even better scientist when he grows up and he eventually learned from this mistake in the future.

Maybe she will want to be a Physicist afterword?

conversely you could point out how could someone falling down have their head snap UP when they were suddenly halted? point out this is impossible and Gwen is OK.

One of the first thing so many people do is to teach their children how to lie.

If the kid is clever enough to ask the question, I would give them credit and tell them how it is.

One just have to find the right way to explain it.

Just my 2cents

oh dont worry kids figure out how to lie all on their own.

it is 100% normal and natural

only when they become a reasoning adult-about age 20-can they make this conscious decision for themselves...