• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another PGX grading job well done!

59 posts in this topic

Do I understand correctly that the reason for CGC's leniency on marvel chipping is that the paper quality was chip-prone and the blades were not kept sharp enough during trimming? The logic to this being that chipping is a manufacturing flaw? If so...I'd be pretty surprised (and please correct me if I'm wrong) if these issues appeared like that on the news stands, all raggedy-edged like that.

So, if they appeared unchipped on the stands, wouldn't that make any subsequent chipping due to inadequate preservation, just like pretty much every other condition flaw a book can have? Makes no sense to me, but then that's why I ask.

Yes, yes and yes, and you are correct, it makes no sense.

because $

Exactly - CGC has always been about financially protecting dealers, investors, auction houses, and major collectors, so whatever was the accepted "modus operandi" they supported was automatically adopted by CGC.

So totally illogical stuff like chipping, pedigree sigs and ink stains gets a total pass when grading, while a tiny back cover ink mark or stain gets hammered.

Marvel chipping may get a pass from CGC but I have observed books with severe chipping going for up to 20% less at auction. So the market has priced in the defect accordingly, regardless of what CGC says.

-J.

I still stand behind my grade of weak 6.0 (solid 5.5).

I can't stand the chipping and frankly books should be crushed for it. But it does get a pass and you have to grade books with it as such.

If someone truly believes that's a 3.0, then please sell me all your books :makepoint:

+1000

put your money where your mouth is and buy this 3.0 then. it has no chipping.\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hulk-1-CGC-3-0-Marvel-1962-Key-Silver-Age-RARE-113-cm-/281083396566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4171e041d6

Discussion is getting silly here. This CGC 3.0 book doesn't look near as nice as the PGX 7.0 under discussion. Creases and very worn spine.

Everyone agrees that the 7.0 being discussed here does not have a FN/VF appearance. But it's a lot nice than GD/VG. It's 5.0'ish and you can find CGC graded books at 5.0 with this appearance and substantial chipping.

The situation is bad enough on it's own with resorting to drama and hyperbole.

Just sayin....

Are you saying the PGX 7.0 looks better because you know how CGC handles Marvel chipping or that if there was no such thing as Marvel chipping, the 7.0 would still look better?

You are correct. I am speaking directly to the issue of grade, not appearance. Knowing how CGC is lenient on "marvel chipping" - I believe the 7.0 book would grade higher than 3.0.

That said, after close examination (the picture truly sucks - which makes me think the book may look much worse in hand), the 3.0 under discussion looks substantially nicer than 3.0. I believe we have two books here - one which appears about 4 grades overgraded and anohter about 4 grades under graded. But I do not believe that CGC would grade the 7.0 down to 3.0. It would land around 5.

Marvel chipping bothers me. If I ruled the world - or at least the world of grading standards - no book with substantial chipping could ever grade better than 4.0-4.5. But I don't, so I was speaking just to likely grade, not eye appeal.

As others have noted, books with marvel chipping often times sell for less - especially on books with chipping that grade above 5.0. So the market is reflecting how collectors feel about this defect.

My apologies for the hyperbole comment. :foryou:

and the market should inform CGC that their grading system is out of whack.

if buyers prefer a book graded at 4.0 to a book graded at 6.0, that should say something.

wait-what? CGC refused to grade? why?

This goes way beyond that.....but I'll explain

CGC will not grade the #100 Hero Book Blanks as they were part of a Charity Auction by the Heros Initiative. Heros has asked CGC not to grade these because they were NOT released to the public. They were drawn on by select artist and auctioned off for charity. Some were supposedly stolen. :o

But this is crazy that he would post that here of all places and PGX grades them.

:ohnoez:

:popcorn:

WHA-this is incredible. so a blank copy is ergo a stolen copy....and-OMG

see why I'm addicted to this forum?

wh-why was thread deleted NOW and not before??? wh-wh-what is happening??? where am I?

The mods just caught it. They have the power beyond space and time they can do anything, don't you know it's the comic forums. lol

You can't do that, especially with that book. It's elusive. lol

I guess I'll have to drag it back down to the vault. Just hate that walk down to the batcave :-(

that book is like sasquatch-you get a glimmer of it then POOF

lol Nice one!

There's a couple boardies that have that book raw. But there hiding it in a retina scanned vault about 25 ft below the earth.

For the PGX though ugly it might be a 7.0. Most of it's ugly is due to Marvel chipping which gets way too much of a pass in my book.

That is in no shape, way or form a 7.0 book...more of a weak 6.0 IMO

Yea the color breaks on the crease are pretty bad. I don't see it even being a 6.0

Without the chipping it might pass as a 6.0... maybe...

With the chipping I see it as a 5.0 maybe 5.5 on a good day.

Worst part about it is the insides might be a Sgt Fury... lol