• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just finished IC #6... <spoilers>

412 posts in this topic

The Drake/Boomerang double homicide is a distraction. It leads the characters in the story to consider Captain Boomerang as the Dibny killer. However, given the evidence, Batman would normally see right thru it.

However, since the person who gave Drake the gun and note KNOWS that Tim Drake and Robin are one and the same, having Tim's father killed also distracts Batman from the Dibny murder/Loring attack. Batman's attention for most of the issue is on looking after the now orphaned Tim Drake and comparing Tim's fate to his own. The killer knew to distract Batman by hurting his extended family and by stirring up his own feelings. It's a brilliant bit of misdirection on their part.

yeah. you'd think Dr. Light is somehow involved too -- it's weird. I mean, this could also be classic misdirection. Make everyone think it's not Light, only to have it actually be Dr. Light in the end... along with somebody else probably. Of course, why would Dr. Light burn Sue's body afterwards... ? And what motive for hating Boomerang and Jack Drake?

The end of issue 6 is weird. Notice the similarites between Ray's face and Dr. Light's as he's looking in the mirror at himself. Almost like it isn't him. Then one of the last things he does, is flick off the LIGHT switch..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, and the final quote when the lights go out is Ray saying "I don't SEE anything." With the theories about green-eyed Jean being a light construct / hologram, that could be Ray announcing he's figured it out! thumbsup2.gif

But the problem I have the with all that is: Are Dr. Light's holograms tangible? I mean, given that Ray and "Jean" were expecting to get busy at the end of IC6, wouldn't Ray kinda notice she wasn't exactly there? blush.gif

Boomerang was a buffoon. He was a shadow of his former self, waltzing around the Injustice Society satellite in his boomerang bathrobe trying to sell Miraclo, begging the Calculator and his other "friends" for any kind of work he could get. Most of the villain community saw him as a sell-out anyway from his days as a mainstay on the Suicide Squad.

He was begging to be put out of his misery, and his death leads rise to a focused and more powerful legacy villain in the form of his "son".

Here is a random thought...what if Jean Loring and Jack Drake had a relationship?

Using the menally unstable Jean model:

- She kills Sue to frame the Atom (possible jealousy angle; maybe an affair?)

- She gives the patents to the Calculator to reproduce the Atom technology.

- She frames Digger to throw everyone off her trail, and has him kill Jack Drake due to a relationship gone bad.

- She fakes her own death to take away suspicion.

OY! I'm going to have to reread them all tonight. foreheadslap.gif

and how come Wonder Woman's played basically no role in IC?

Possibly because even though Superman & Batman have been retrofitted back into the post-Crisis JLA, for some reason the powers-that-be at DC want to keep Wonder Woman as the perpetual newcomer, so she's now absent from all the satellite-era JLA stories. (Her place in the body-switching JLA arc is taken by Black Canary in the Identity Crisis flashback to that story).

With so much of Identity Crisis revolving around blowback from past JLA events, Wonder Woman doesn't really have much to contribute...

and how come Wonder Woman's played basically no role in IC?

Possibly because even though Superman & Batman have been retrofitted back into the post-Crisis JLA, for some reason the powers-that-be at DC want to keep Wonder Woman as the perpetual newcomer, so she's now absent from all the satellite-era JLA stories. (Her place in the body-switching JLA arc is taken by Black Canary in the Identity Crisis flashback to that story).

With so much of Identity Crisis revolving around blowback from past JLA events, Wonder Woman doesn't really have much to contribute...

I also wondered why WW wasn't involved more. I mean she has a freeking truth lasso. That alone is enough to round up every villain and ask them what they know. Plus she appears on the cover of issue #3 holding a noose. What is that supposed to represent?

Meltzer or Morrales also said this wasn't about DC's big shots, though Batman and Superman haven't been as absent as Wonder Woman.

Notice the people that have been eliminated so far has come out to be a Father, an expecting Mother, and Lover/Wife.

I just have one question. Am I the only one that finds it an even bigger mystery that this thread hasn't broken out into a flame war yet?

This has got to be one of, in not the, longest threads I have ever seen here that not only didn't break out in a flame war, but also stayed on topic. I'm baffled and a little scared. MK, Deathlok, Keven, anyone, please hold me. crazy.gif

I think I've solved the mystery!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

It is definitely Jean Loring. With the mind-wipe being a semi-misdirection.

Here's why.....Ready?????

We all know Jean has access to Atom's patents and inventions (mentioned several times in the series). Jean knows the identities of all the heroes and their loved ones. She and Sue were good friends, and Sue had probably even confided in her a few times, like after the Dr. Light rape (giving Jean a perfect initial suspect).

Jean's attacker is never shown, only gloved hands. When the heroes come to investigate, Mr. Miracle is checking out a table and plant in the corner nearest where Jean was hung. The same table she used to step off of to fake her assault. In the flashback scene, notice that the table is replaced by the "assailant", but the planter is right behind his feet (A visual clue from Meltzer).

Neither Sue or Jean were warned about their attacks, while Lois and Jack Drake were both warned (after Jean's attack). Boomerang was hired as a fall guy by Jean via Calculator. She knew that if Lois was attacked, Supes would probably kill the guy. Or that Jack Drake (if given a gun) was more than capable of defending himself (being an adventurer and all). Bad guy dead, case closed. End of story. What she didn't count on was Drake getting killed, further drawing Batman into the picture.

But why? Ready for the super shocker?

Ray and Sue had an affair. The baby Sue was carrying was actually his. He was divorced and upset, needed a shoulder to cry on. One thing led to another. Jean, being one of her closest friends and the Atom's ex-wife, is the perfect one to talk to about how to tell Ray or should she even? Jean won't mind, they're divorced. But, Jean did mind and killer her instead. She may have been divorced from Ray, but maybe this was her sick way of getting him back?

Why else would Meltzer make Sue pregnant? Ralph's life was already going to be destroyed by her death. To add a baby "just because" is overkill. It's a clue!

They said this story would shake up the League. Well, we know that Atom can't be trusted. He slept with his buddy's wife and is somewhat to blame. Two 'heroes' are dead. Quite the shake up!

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

(I may be off, but man this is fun!!!!!!)