• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just finished IC #6... <spoilers>

412 posts in this topic

Calculator told Merlyn that someone called and wanted Jack Drake dead, and it was Boomerang's "turn". Though Calculator does keep insinuating that the two of them were friends. Who was Boomerang's son talking to in number 6 when he was suiting up?

we SEE the person behind the door. Now, that means (provided Meltzer is playing by "the rules") that there WAS SOMEONE THAT LOOKED JUST LIKE THAT behind the door.

And, of course, I would be remiss if I ignored the fact that that shape behind the door looked like Captain Boomerang.

That's my biggest problem with the Atom being behind the whole thing. From what I understand, he can only manipulate his size to be smaller.

The shadow seems to be that of a person bigger than "normal sized Ray".

The Atom stuff is definitely red herring.

And, you may be on to something w/ the two sets of crimes. One group recieved warnings/death threats while the others did not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(And, obviously, let us not forget that Boomerang attacked and killed Jack Drake shortly after calling his son telling him that he was finally going to make a name for himself again. And note that he DID FINALLY use the BOOMERANG to kill Jack Drake. The question here is, why Jack Drake? How did anyone know of his son's secret identity?)

So Boomerang hired Calculator to hire himself? We do know for sure that Calculator was hired to arrange an attack Jack Drake, and he chose to hire his friend Captain Boomerang to do the job. Who wanted Drake killed? Is this the same person that sent Drake the gun and the note? (I think so.)

We don't know for sure whether or not the Calculator arranged the hits on Sue Dibny and Jean Loring or not. We do know he contracted Merlyn for a special job. We were never shown just what that job was. We also know that he contracted Bolt to do the job related to the Luthor armor. (Was he there as buyer or seller?)

Who was Boomerang's son talking to in number 6 when he was suiting up?

Isn't he talking to one of the Rogues? One of them (Mirror Master? Captain Cold?) makes a remark about legacies. Someone set him up with a Captain Boomerang outfit and requisite equipment. (I suppose his dad may have shown him or told him where to look.)

That's my biggest problem with the Atom being behind the whole thing. From what I understand, he can only manipulate his size to be smaller.

The shadow seems to be that of a person bigger than "normal sized Ray".

I guess the question is, and this is a big problem with this series because it jumps around in the timeline quite frequently, is WHEN was she telling the story?

Was it truly a "God" moment or was it a "Jean Loring remembers it like this" moment. The shadow may look like Captain Boomerang because they already think that Captain Boomerang was the killer and that theory has already been accepted (but not proven)?

(And, obviously, let us not forget that Boomerang attacked and killed Jack Drake shortly after calling his son telling him that he was finally going to make a name for himself again. And note that he DID FINALLY use the BOOMERANG to kill Jack Drake. The question here is, why Jack Drake? How did anyone know of his son's secret identity?)

So Boomerang hired Calculator to hire himself? We do know for sure that Calculator was hired to arrange an attack Jack Drake, and he chose to hire his friend Captain Boomerang to do the job. Who wanted Drake killed? Is this the same person that sent Drake the gun and the note? (I think so.)

We don't know for sure whether or not the Calculator arranged the hits on Sue Dibny and Jean Loring or not. We do know he contracted Merlyn for a special job. We were never shown just what that job was. We also know that he contracted Bolt to do the job related to the Luthor armor. (Was he there as buyer or seller?)

I forgot about Calculator "hiring" Boomerang to kill Jack Drake... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Why would the same person who wanted Drake killed send him a gun and the note? Why the note for Lois?

Didn't you (or someone else) post something about Meltzer saying that all the clues were in place as of issue 4 or so?

Was Bolt contracted by Calculator? I got the impression that Bolt was there working on his own or at least for someone OTHER than Calculator. He was asking Calculator for information and was being charged for answers, so it seems unlikely that Bolt was in some way working for him.

Was Bolt contracted by Calculator? I got the impression that Bolt was there working on his own or at least for someone OTHER than Calculator. He was asking Calculator for information and was being charged for answers, so it seems unlikely that Bolt was in some way working for him.

Why would Bolt call the Calculator with questions about the job if he wasn't hired by the Calculator in the first place? The Calculator knows quite a bit, but I doubt he'd have information on a deal if he wasn't the middle man on it. Calculator doesn't come up with the assignments... he's hired by various parties to get the right villain for the job, just as he was hired to either procure or to sell Luthor's armor.

Why would Bolt call the Calculator with questions about the job if he wasn't hired by the Calculator in the first place? The Calculator knows quite a bit, but I doubt he'd have information on a deal if he wasn't the middle man on it.

Why would Calculator CHARGE Bolt for answers (and remove the funds from Bolt's bank account AS he was answering) if Bolt was working for him?

It's been said on a number of occasions that Calculator is the villain's version of Oracle-- basically just someone with their hands in EVERYTHING. He's just working for the "wrong side".

You really want some weirdness? Check out the tv screens when Calculator is sitting at his desk. In #6 (I think), he's watching ALL the heroes in all their various locations... it would seem that he has FULL access to the lives of basically anyone he chooses. (He was watching Batman on one screen, the Flash on another...)

Why would Calculator CHARGE Bolt for answers (and remove the funds from Bolt's bank account AS he was answering) if Bolt was working for him?

Why would he know about the specifics of the job? My theory is that Calculator was hired to set up the Bolt deal, gave him as much information as he needed to get the job done and then charged him for additional information that the Calculator could find out on his own.

Why would he know about the specifics of the job? My theory is that Calculator was hired to set up the Bolt deal, gave him as much information as he needed to get the job done and then charged him for additional information that the Calculator could find out on his own.

But why would Calculator be able to supervise the heroes in every small aspect of their lives? How does he have cameras fixed on them in seemingly "private" moments? He seems to be almost omniscient, moreso than even Oracle. None of this is adding up. (Pun intended.)

But why would Calculator be able to supervise the heroes in every small aspect of their lives? How does he have cameras fixed on them in seemingly "private" moments? He seems to be almost omniscient, moreso than even Oracle. None of this is adding up. (Pun intended.)

No idea. Batman was on his screen because he was in or near one of his decoy bases. Flash? Not sure. I would have to look at the issue, but perhaps he has set up camera stations in various cities and got lucky? Maybe he's adapted a cloaked version of Mr. Terrific's T-spheres and has them spying on certain heroes?

More fuel for the fire... I started looking up Bolt on-line, since he is somebody introduced during a period I wasn't much paying attention to new comics. I was curious: what kind of super villain gets punked out by a couple of kids with pistols?

Here's what I found ( emphasis mine )

http://www.mykey3000.com/cosmicteams/cosmic/kl.html

The Killer Elite

Made up of several of the world's best assassins, the Killer Elite live up to their names. It is unknown why these usually solitary killers decided to join forces, and unknown if they are still operate as a team. All of its members were first gathered together shortly after Neron's campaign to enslave Earth's super-villains (Underworld Unleashed; Justice League America #105) It is likely that some or all of these assassins sold their souls to Neron in exchange for some boon.

The group was led by Deadshot (who had long served in the Suicide Squad) and included Bolt (deceased Suicide Squad v.2 #3) ; Chiller, Deadline; and former League of Assassins member, Merlyn.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bolt from IC #1 isn't/wasn't really Bolt?

Jean isn't really Jean?

Heroes & Villains switching bodies?

Identity Crisis indeed! 893whatthe.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=630917&page=&vc=1

I was able to obtain copies of Flash 302 & 303 this afternoon. Aside from having the most atrocious Carmine Infantino artwork there are definitely two things that struck me about these issues:

1) It is possible that Flash and the Glider had an off-camera "quickie" in the first half of issue #302. GG was wearing a Magic Diamond on her forehead which made Barry believe that she was his (late but not really) wife Iris, and when she first uses it on him she has Barry carry her off to someplace "private". However, while he is in her control he is helpless to resist but he is aware of what is going on. I'm sure he would not forget an intimate encounter with her, unless, well maybe she lay there like a board and they were in an uncomfortable spot. I suppose he could have omitted it from his memoirs since he knew Iris would be reading them. In both issues GG makes remarks about his great athletic body and refers to him in #302 as her "Super-Speed Lover". She is extremely anxious to get it on with the Top in the Flash's body when she thinks Roscoe has taken control in issue #303.

2) The Top was not an interesting villain. And GG, while kind of hot, is equally lame.

Kevin;

I was at a con yesterday and saw some nice copies of these books along with the Justice League issues. The prices were also reasonable since they were going for less than current Modern Day cover prices.

Would you or Donut know exactly which issues of the Flash and Justice League suppossedly links into the Identity Crisis storyline?

Thanks; thumbsup2.gif

included Bolt (deceased Suicide Squad v.2 #3)

A few people on other sites have wondered why Bolt showed up alive in Identity Crisis when it was assumed he was dead in Suicide Squad. General conclusions I've seen are that he must not have died in the Suicide Squad issue, or that his death was faked. But he's another link in the chain that goes back to the Suicide Squad.

One of the characters Bolt faced frequently was Starman (Will Payton)... the one who could alter his appearance.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is anyone else concerned that we're going to see a semi-massive retcon happening here with "erased/recovered memories" and the like?

Nope. I was never into the DCU and really know very little about it. They can retcon whatever they want. I have no emotional or any other kind of attachment to DC history, or future for that matter. Kill em all! Wahaaaaa devil.gif

I forgot about Calculator "hiring" Boomerang to kill Jack Drake... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Why would the same person who wanted Drake killed send him a gun and the note?

If soemone hired Boomerang and then sent note to Drake maybey he wanted Boomerang our of the picture and at same time strike at heroes!

Kill 2 birds with one stone?

uhhh... everyone's talking about Lois, so I'll throw this out there....

spoiler (maybe)...

In CSN two weeks ago they noted that in Adventures of Superman 668, Superman is recovering from the events of IC where Lois Lane is shot. So, I'm wondering whether, in fact, Lois is shot in #7 -- perhaps after Ray Palmer is falsely accused OR they put together the whole plot as a murder is being executed on Lois.

I forgot about Calculator "hiring" Boomerang to kill Jack Drake... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Why would the same person who wanted Drake killed send him a gun and the note?

If soemone hired Boomerang and then sent note to Drake maybey he wanted Boomerang our of the picture and at same time strike at heroes!

Kill 2 birds with one stone?

You mean like Boomerang's kid. So that he could assume the Captain Boomerang name.