• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your one big regret that still bites you in the *ahem* spoon?

100 posts in this topic

My biggest comic book regret was hesitating to buy an immaculate copy of Hulk 181 on ebay for $500 last year. What was I thinking?! :frustrated:

Fortunately, I was very blessed when I sold my WD1 CGC 9.8 for $2700, and I only payed cover price for it. See! It all comes out in the wash (thumbs u

I don't collect original art, but I passed up a piece from 70's Shazam that I positively adored. It was on eBay, and it had to be relisted because it hadn't sold, despite being under $100. No significance whatsoever, Captain Marvel gets tackled by aliens that look like vegetables. The lettuce goes on tv to declare war on Earth, "first Captain Marvel, then the world!" I was out of a job, and couldn't spare the measly $100, and it makes me sick that I missed it.

Not getting a Tec 31 for around 200 bucks at a LCS in 1988. But I would have probably already sold it anyway, long before it became one of the hottest books in the hobby, so C'est la vie.

Actually my biggest regret is not comics related.

I was offered the opportunity to see Sinatra when I was in high school. It would not have been the "cool" thing to do so I declined.

3562790-facepalm_spider-man.jpg

Selling a raw Archie 3 in 2.0 a few months back. Found out it came back a 4.0 blue. Don't regret who I sold it to, great boardie. I refocused my collecting to golden age and it would have been a nice book to keep considering the ridiculous low amount I paid for it :sorry:

Not buying Incredible Hulk #181 in NM for $420 back in 1995.

That's nothing - I went to a show in 1987-88 and I was accosted by a dealer telling me had stacks of Hulk 181 (they looked NM) for $30 a pop and that it was a hot comic that I should buy multiples of.

I only had about $100 on me, and I thought that would be a poor use of my available funds. I my defence, $30 for a BA comic was crazy back then, and this was right at the cusp of the sportscard dealer takeover and the "rookie comic" speculator phenomenon.

oh let's see, just have a few really.

1.) back in 2001 not buying an unrestored complete w/nice pages Action Comics #7 for $800 at my LCS. book would have been around a 2.0/2.5 if memory serves.

2.) back around 2006 same LCS. not buying an AF15 raw that looked around a 7.0. for $6000. book later CGC graded at 7.0 blue.

3.) selling my Fight Against Crime #20 for waaaay to cheap back in 2008. sold raw for $750. book later graded CGC 5.0 ow.

4.) 2009 craigslist buying the guys entire collection of mid-low grade late 50s-60s DCs. instead of just buying the keys he had, Brave and Bold #28, Superboy #68, JLA #1. don't get me wrong, I still doubled my purchase price when I sold, but man it took alot of work selling some of those mid grade non keys. If I would have just bought the keys, I could have saved myself ALOT of time in scanning/grading/posting. etc.

lesson learned.

That's nothing - I went to a show in 1987-88 and I was accosted by a dealer telling me had stacks of Hulk 181 (they looked NM) for $30 a pop and that it was a hot comic that I should buy multiples of.

I only had about $100 on me, and I thought that would be a poor use of my available funds. I my defence, $30 for a BA comic was crazy back then, and this was right at the cusp of the sportscard dealer takeover and the "rookie comic" speculator phenomenon.

I actually did that, though more in the 8.0 range. Two copies, $15 for one and $12 for the other, sold both a few years back on eBay.

Very rare in the choicemaking department, but at the time I remember seeing Wolverine everywhere, very popular with kids.

I was (and am) a DC guy, thought what the hell, and it panned out. Pure luck, for all I knew he was just some Lobo knockoff, a breakout X-Men Marvel was over-hyping.

One regret (of many) was facing a store owner closing shop. Making the choice between scooping up short boxes of Spider-man 300 or Valiants. Well, that Spider-man issue seemed awfully over-produced and sporting a black gimmicky costume.. :facepalm:

One regret.

Back in 1984 or 1985 I asked my mom to get me an IH 181 for Christmas.

I have no idea where I got off requesting that book. I should have known that a single mother working a retail job to support us was not going to be able to justify spending alot of money on a funny book.

But, she did surprise me with a copy of IH 180. And I, in Teenage Jerk mode, had to be a bit of a snit about it. I mean, really, I'm appalled now at how I behaved that day.

Thankfully, my mom didn't kill me.

I sold the book, along with the rest of my collection, a year ot two later in 1986.

Wish I had kept it.

Actually my biggest regret is not comics related.

I was offered the opportunity to see Sinatra when I was in high school. It would not have been the "cool" thing to do so I declined.

Collecting comics wasn't cool when I was in high school... but neither was I, so I guess I lived up to expectations.

:)

-slym

I don't really regret it exactly but in 2011 I bought a hulk 181 from a local store and a a few months later sold it for a third of what I paid for it , but used it to get drum equipment so it was okay. Did something similar when I sold a full run of ultimate spiderman for 80 same year for more drum stuff.

I guess it would be cool to have the hulk book still , but my yamaha vintage maple snare looks nice too

Sold my two Kirby twice up pages, one from Sgt Fury 2 and one from FF 19, when I was putting a downpayment together for a house.

Sorry to this day about the FF page

1. Sold my Hulk #1 for $50.00 (yes, fifty dollars). In 1989. It was maybe a 2.0 or so.

Traded a stack of really nice ASM #300's in a comic book store, for nothing really.

Sold my FF #5 for exactly what I had paid for it. $125.00

Sold my AF#15 for $2,525.00. It was a 4.5, but came back trimmed.

Bought 50 copies of X-Force #1.

Bought 100 copies of Spiderman #1 (McFarlane), in all of its various cover colors and polybags. (okay, maybe that one wasn't too bad)

Bought 50 copies of TMNT #1. No, not that one. The one from the Archie series.

Should not have bought ANY new comic books in the 90's. Especially those that the same issue had numerous covers, or sparkly covers. What the heck was I thinking?

1. Sold my Hulk #1 for $50.00 (yes, fifty dollars). In 1989. It was maybe a 2.0 or so.

Traded a stack of really nice ASM #300's in a comic book store, for nothing really.

Sold my FF #5 for exactly what I had paid for it. $125.00

Sold my AF#15 for $2,525.00. It was a 4.5, but came back trimmed.

Bought 50 copies of X-Force #1.

Bought 100 copies of Spiderman #1 (McFarlane), in all of its various cover colors and polybags. (okay, maybe that one wasn't too bad)

Bought 50 copies of TMNT #1. No, not that one. The one from the Archie series.

Should not have bought ANY new comic books in the 90's. Especially those that the same issue had numerous covers, or sparkly covers. What the heck was I thinking?

You might not be complaining if you'd bought 50 copies of Preacher #1 (from the 90s)!

I could be wrong, but Transmet might be in the same boat some day too.

Pat

Mine is not a comic book but a car. When I was purchasing my first car I really wanted a lt / gt celica. Particularly a GT2000. I looked for about a year without finding anything that was in original condition until my farther made a contact and found one in sun burst organge with under 20k kilometres on the dial. It had been bought and garaged since new. It still had the plastic protectors from the factory on the door sills and the window stickers you peel off after first use. As close to factory fresh as possible on a 30 year old car. The owner wanted about 50% more than I had seen any others sell for and still being in high school I didn't have much money. My father offered to loan me the difference between my savings and the cost but I declined as I never borrow money. So I didn't buy it. Thought about it for a few days and decided it was too good an opportunity to pass on and called the seller. The car was gone. Saw it listed and sold a year later for double his asking.

Two spring to mind...

1. Not being able to convince my dad to let me spend $100 for a, as he called them, "funnybook" in 1976 at a local comic book show. The book was a really nice copy of ASM #1. Of course, I was ten years old... So I don't blame him, but I also still remind him of it to this day. :-)

2. I went to monthly comic book shows all the time from around 1976 to 1983. Why oh why at no point did I think to look at all that original art those few dealers always had for sale? Aaaaaargh!